Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: Horrific battery draining while parked in long term parking structure - I've got 12 days to go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6 years and 150k miles later, I've never found that to be the case. 1% every 2-3 days is more in line with my observations once you turn off all the power-sapping garbage.
May also depend on the hardware platform as my Palladium is a couple percent a day. Just parked the car at the terminal and back Thursday morning. I took a note of the level (91%) and will not touch it until I am back.

Maybe it says it is off but it actually is not. I have had this happen a couple times, where the app shows no sentry mode is active but I get to the car and there are sentry events. Just an idea worth trying

One way to deal with that perhaps is once you park at the airport, redefine that location as Home. Then if Sentry is set to be switched "Off at home", it'll be an extra way of ensuring it's actually off

If you turn off sentry, summon, and cabin protection it shouldn't drain like that, something must be keeping it awake, unless someone can help you charge it up, honestly there is not much you can do, and checking it only make it worse. Some airport provides EV charging service at a ridiculous price that will charge it upon your return (though I doubted they will charge it daily for each vehicle. For the longer term, I will take an Uber to avoid the unknown.

The only Tessie routines I had created were for the car to "set climate to 68 at 1pm while GPS location is work", and "stop charging at 3pm at GPS home", neither of which should apply while in a parking structure that is not "home" or "work". I deleted both of them, signed out of the app and changed my password to deauthorize it if they were causing the drain. Will see in two days where I stand.
Those can be a problem as it may ping the location (not sure if app may trigger a GPS search, which can drain battery quicker if the parking structure has poor GPS reception). In order to meet the timer, the car may also regularly poll the car, which may keep it awake, although if you say this is not an issue at home that may not be how they implemented it.

The other issue that is possible is poor LTE reception. I remember in cases where the car can't find an LTE connection it may drain the battery faster, perhaps due to constantly search for one.

Sentry mode and Summon Standby are the two main battery killers.

Make absolutely sure that neither are functional.

Note: Summon Standby is on by default if you have EAP or FSD license.
A little bit of clarification. On my Autopilot screen i have Summon (Beta) turned off. Do I also need to go into another screen to turn Summon Standby off? I have an FSD license. Also, I'm thinking 1% of battery equates to maybe 30 miles of range depending on model. I recall my new Model Y LR range goes down by about 10 miles in a 24 hour period when the car is just sitting in my garage. thanks

Last edited:
define frequently. I have left it 8-12 hours between my checks, and come back to find it's lost 3-4%. How long before the car goes to sleep? I've seen it go to sleep while at work in much less time.
The point isn’t how fast it goes to sleep, it’s how long it STAYS asleep. Using the app will wake it up and start depleting the battery however minimally. This will happen every time you check the app.

A little bit of clarification. On my Autopilot screen i have Summon (Beta) turned off. Do I also need to go into another screen to turn Summon Standby off? I have an FSD license. Also, I'm thinking 1% of battery equates to maybe 30 miles of range depending on model. I recall my new Model Y LR range goes down by about 10 miles in a 24 hour period when the car is just sitting in my garage. thanks
My 2021 Model 3 SR+ goes down by only around 1 mile per 24 hour period, so you definitely have extra drain.

To turn off summon standby:
Controls > Autopilot > Standby Mode

Cabin overheat protection also drains battery quicker, although it is only active for 12 hours.

I mean they spent development resources on the f#%$ing stupid "Joe Mode" for Pete's sake! This is far more important and useful than that!

Uh, first of all, it was for Joe's sake.
Second, Joe gets me. He hears what I hear. Don't mock him.

@mephiska the normal drain is around 1% per week, even when checking the app many times per day. You might have some software glitch in the car or in Tessie. Or perhaps your 12V battery is failing and the car keeps waking up to top it off.

At 20% the car will shut off Sentry, etc. then at 0% it will shut off everything. After that, your 12V battery will be depleted and somewhat damaged. So the worst-case scenario is that you'll need to have Tesla's roadside assistance come give you a jump start and possibly replace your 12V battery (under warranty or ~$150).

Also let's math that out. I've got 12 days to go. If I am currently at 63% battery and am losing 5% per day, that's 60% battery drain and will leave me with 3%. So no I'm not fine.

You should be able to leave a tesla in long term parking for 2 weeks and not return to a dead car. At the current rate of drain I will be doing just that. Something's wrong here.
Tessie will drain your battery significantly even with its “doesn’t wake” method. Any app connected to your car is going to work against your expectations of leaving a car parked for 2 weeks without a hassle. Change your Tesla log in credentials - this will stop Tessie from accessing your car. Phantom drain is extremely variable and not an exact science. You might want to call a buddy, have them go to your car, then remotely allow them to take it for a charge. Then enjoy your friggin’ time out of the country and not stress!

This is not true. I use TeslaMate and there is no extra drain on the car at all. It never wakes it up.
Me and OP however aren’t talking about TeslaMate. We are talking about Tessie. Two different apps. If TeslaMate isn’t waking up your car every so often then how is it getting the current info of your car? YOU may not think so, but from an API perspective it’s literally impossible to get a real-time current info stack of the car without it waking up.

Think about it logically. The systems need to “online” and working in order to poll the information. TeslaMate just sends the last known data (when the car was last awake) to your phone and it’s not current. Don’t believe me? Conduct your own experiment and find out.

Any 3rd party software that claims to never wake the car or any talk of “streaming API from Tesla” is just using marketing lingo to get you to use their app. For what it’s worth, Tesla widely discourages the use of third party apps and cautions owners to never give their Tesla login credentials to anyone. Try getting a service appointment with any issues on the car and see if they don’t blame it on 3rd party apps.

If the car needs to use its internet connection it will wake up. Period.

Last edited:
1% of battery equates to maybe 3 miles of range.
oops, you are correct that 1% would equate to 3 miles. wow, and i have a mathematics degree. By the way i just did a short test with my 2022 Model Y LR in my garage for 12 hours with temp around 75 degrees, I lost 1% of charge. A longer duration test would provide a more accurate number on battery usage, but i'm headed to the beach in a couple hours. thanks for correcting my mistake.