Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: Horrific battery draining while parked in long term parking structure - I've got 12 days to go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me and OP however aren’t talking about TeslaMate. We are talking about Tessie. Two different apps. If TeslaMate isn’t waking up your car every so often then how is it getting the current info of your car? YOU may not think so, but from an API perspective it’s literally impossible to get a real-time current info stack of the car without it waking up.

Think about it logically. The systems need to “online” and working in order to poll the information. TeslaMate just sends the last known data (when the car was last awake) to your phone and it’s not current. Don’t believe me? Conduct your own experiment and find out.

Any 3rd party software that claims to never wake the car or any talk of “streaming API from Tesla” is just using marketing lingo to get you to use their app. For what it’s worth, Tesla widely discourages the use of third party apps and cautions owners to never give their Tesla login credentials to anyone. Try getting a service appointment with any issues on the car and see if they don’t blame it on 3rd party apps.

If the car needs to use its internet connection it will wake up. Period.
If you uncheck the Tessie option to "wake the car", then what you see is the last real time data when the car was polled. Not the current status.

If you uncheck the Tessie option to "wake the car", then what you see is the last real time data when the car was polled. Not the current status.
Yes I know. However, even with that option turned on or off the car is still polled periodically. It’s significantly better with “do not wake” enabled, however it still wakes the car once in a while. The developer of Tessie is an awesome guy and always responds to my emails right away. Super good customer service. He informed me that even with the option checked off, the app will still poll data once in a while. It’s a known bug that’s come up lately with the latest version of iOS and he believes that it’s mostly due to iOS and the API involving widgets and Apple Watch complications. For what it’s worth…

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The only Tessie routines I had created were for the car to "set climate to 68 at 1pm while GPS location is work", and "stop charging at 3pm at GPS home", neither of which should apply while in a parking structure that is not "home" or "work". I deleted both of them, signed out of the app and changed my password to deauthorize it if they were causing the drain. Will see in two days where I stand.
This sounds like it could keep the car awake. Hopefully deleting & changing password will help. (This is why I don’t run non-OEM software on the car.)

Me and OP however aren’t talking about TeslaMate. We are talking about Tessie. Two different apps. If TeslaMate isn’t waking up your car every so often then how is it getting the current info of your car? YOU may not think so, but from an API perspective it’s literally impossible to get a real-time current info stack of the car without it waking up.
You said "Any app connected to your car is going to work against your expectations of leaving a car parked for 2 weeks without a hassle.".

I said paraphrasing: "TeslaMate does not have this problem".

TeslaMate does not send API calls to Tesla that wake the car up.

It knows the latest information of the car that Tesla knows, without waking it up. So if your car went to sleep 24 hours ago and hasn't woken up and phoned home, that's the latest bit of information you'll have.

Most cars wake up for an hour or two every 18-36 hours to off the 12V battery. If I let my car sit with Teslamate monitoring the car, I can see that it does this, and uses about 1% a week to top off the 12V battery.

Presumably most apps are doing the same thing and polling Tesla's servers without waking up the car all the time, otherwise people would complain about vampire drain all the time and stop using those apps. Now maybe Tessie does actually wake the car up periodically, no matter what. But unless it's constantly doing so and doing it more than a few times a day, it wouldn't cause the kind of vampire drain that the OP is seeing.

Presumably most apps are doing the same thing and polling Tesla's servers without waking up the car all the time, otherwise people would complain about vampire drain all the time and stop using those apps.
I take it you haven't been on this forum for long. A lof of the apps do do this, and people DO complain about vampire drain from apps constantly.

• Funny
Reactions: Dave EV
There was a version and several sub-versions of the Tesla Phone App that would wake the car several times per hour 24/7. It was fixed a few months back but maybe you have the problematic version? You can search this forum for the discussion of this problem which was around Sept 1, 2022.

What Causes this [12V] Charging Profile

. You can solve this problem by making sure you have the latest Phone firmware or turn off ALL cell/wifi data access on you phone.

There is no OTA download anymore? I thought they were still doing that if you have no WiFi connected to your car for a while. Some drivers try to not have any update by not connecting to WiFi at all and still get pushed update from OTA.
I don't think avoiding WiFi is an absolute solution to prevent updates.. I am pretty sure Tesla avoids using the cell data for the OTA updates but eventually it will use them. I have definitely gotten it to check for updates and then report I should connect to WiFi to do the update but I think eventually it will use the cell data to download and update. It might also be different if it is an update that applies a "recall" or other high priority update.

There is no OTA download anymore? I thought they were still doing that if you have no WiFi connected to your car for a while. Some drivers try to not have any update by not connecting to WiFi at all and still get pushed update from OTA.
Here's the official word from the Manual on Software Updates:
1668625067111.png

Here's the official word from the Manual on Software Updates:
View attachment 875244
So OP's car could be downloading an (as-needed basis) update (thru weak cellular connection inside the garage) while parked. The don't know the size of the current updates, but when I had Google WiFi at home, I could see that Tesla updates usually are 300MB to 1.2GB in size. If the cell data is slow, it could take days to download.

Reactions: mswlogo
So OP's car could be downloading an (as-needed basis) update (thru weak cellular connection inside the garage) while parked. The don't know the size of the current updates, but when I had Google WiFi at home, I could see that Tesla updates usually are 300MB to 1.2GB in size. If the cell data is slow, it could take days to download.
In a Very Unlikely corner case....

Reactions: DrGriz
Haven't read every post so this may duplicate:
  • Don't know Tessie but Teslafi provides a graph of sleeping and energy use for you that can help diagnose
  • Most of the things that keep the car awake (like sentry) will shut off below 20% to prevent exactly this situation. That will leave you with enough power to get to an SC when you get home. The only risk indeed is some app constantly pinging the car which might keep it awake below 20%
  • If all else fails, and your car looks destined for doom, you can see if you have a friend who lives not too far from the airport. You can remotely allow them to drive the car to a supercharge and bring it back to the parking lot. You will owe that friend. You might even talk the parking lot into letting you leave and come back without extra cost, though this should not add a lot of parking cost.
  • I guess the problem is you must live very far from the airport. (Otherwise why would you park there for so many days when Uber is usually cheaper?) You may need to hunt a bit to find somebody close to it.
  • Another option is if a friend can take your car back to your house (that needs two friends, very good friends) and you uber home. Offset cost of Uber with saving a lot on parking.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV
I take it you haven't been on this forum for long. A lof of the apps do do this, and people DO complain about vampire drain from apps constantly.
That's funny. It used to be a big problem with the apps, but most of them fixed this when Tesla updated their APIs to give you the option of waking up the car or not.

I don't have any experience with Tessie, but like I said before - unless they have a bug in their system, it is not likely that Tessie is the problem, here. From their FAQ:
1668628387873.png

So I stand by my statement - any tracking app that is well designed (like Tessie appears to be, and Teslamate as I do have a lot of experience with), will NOT increase the amount of battery used, unless you are doing something w/that app to cause it. That said, if you think it's a possibility, definitely change your password to block the app.

It's much more likely that it's something else that is causing this issue. Weak 12V, something else, perhaps. A customer service request w/Tesla should get someone to look at the car and be able to provide some actual insight as to what's going on.

Reactions: 804son
I'm a new owner and what I'm experiencing is way off of these rates everyone is reporting. I'm seeing about 1% drop per four hours. I don't have sentry mode on, or cabin heat whatever it's called. I don't have 3rd party apps. I've gotten to the point where I'm trying to force stop my app so it won't connect to the car. It just drains so fast. I charged Monday and I'm at under 60% and I've only gone 30 some miles.
What's more I've been trying to figure out why drain is so high, I was in 300s despite driving so slow and gentle f150s are blowing by me. I'm driving well under the speed limit usually. I think I've come to the conclusion this is because I'm usually driving under 25 minutes and live on a not too steep hill. It looks like going uphill drains crazy battery. When I'm not going up a hill I can get mid to low 200s.
Anyways I'll check preconditioning is off but it seems my vampire drain is way off the bell curve. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

A little bit of clarification. On my Autopilot screen i have Summon (Beta) turned off. Do I also need to go into another screen to turn Summon Standby off? I have an FSD license. Also, I'm thinking 1% of battery equates to maybe 30 miles of range depending on model. I recall my new Model Y LR range goes down by about 10 miles in a 24 hour period when the car is just sitting in my garage. thanks
Yes, you need to make sure Summon Standby is absolutely off.