Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! How can I pay for my Tesla in Germany?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
US Govt contractor on SOFA status in Germany. I brought my US Spec Kona electric with me and am considering getting a German spec Ionic 5 (no plans to go back to the US any time soon). Anyone have any insight on whether I should use the VAT form or go for the German federal EV discount? I assume I can't do both.

US Govt contractor on SOFA status in Germany. I brought my US Spec Kona electric with me and am considering getting a German spec Ionic 5 (no plans to go back to the US any time soon). Anyone have any insight on whether I should use the VAT form or go for the German federal EV discount? I assume I can't do both.
Any update on how this worked out for you or if you can do both?

Additionally can anyone with experience here say if VAT office permission is required prior to placing a pre-order/deposit? Delivery dates a so far out in EU right now I want to get in before it's too late.

Not sure why you're buying a EU spec Tesla while stationed here, you can't take it back stateside when you PCS. What base? I have a US spec 3 here and can help with any questions about having a US spec while youre stationed here.
I would like information on how you used your American spec Tesla in EU please. I have a model S and about to move overseas. Would love to be able to take my car. Thanks.

So in the end, The VAT office raised the issue up to IMCOM Europe level and essentially made Tesla take a Euro Check. The crazy thing was when I brought the check in to Tesla on delivery day it was like no big deal.
I've also ordered a model 3 and expect delivery in a few weeks. I've received notification from Tesla that I need to transfer the payment in full before they make a delivery appointment. The invoice has VAT and the Mannheim dealership noted that using the VAT form is highly problematic - so much so that our assigned rep said he won't assist me, and I'll have to work with someone else. If you're able to provide the name of the individual who assisted you I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, they're telling me that I can't use the EV incentives and VAT (just one or the other). Did you also take advantage of the German EV incentives?