Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

help, how to spot fake 22 turbine wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A3275D69-685B-42E2-A1B0-05646830E228.jpeg

One year later I still can’t resist the look of 22 turbine wheels on a model x so I’m looking to buy a set, but there’s a problem. Oem 22 rims from Tesla are not all forged, in China here if u choose the 22 set when you buy the car then u get non forged rims. But 22 rims of referral program are surely forged. Even though from the outside they look the same. not to mention there might be fake rims in the market so I have a problem, anyone kind can post some pictures of the back of the rims with detail of your real oem rims that would help me a lot , thnx in advance

Reactions: blitzpa
Step 1: don‘t buy from your own country. China is the undisputed king of fake and clones and cheap knock offs.

Some knock offs are really good and almost impossible to determine what they really are (unless they are cheap which is a good indicator by itself).
Try to get good foto‘s of the inside of real rims and especially of the markings on the inside of the spokes. Here is where copy-cats often spend less attention to detail.

Step 1: don‘t buy from your own country. China is the undisputed king of fake and clones and cheap knock offs.

Some knock offs are really good and almost impossible to determine what they really are (unless they are cheap which is a good indicator by itself).
Try to get good foto‘s of the inside of real rims and especially of the markings on the inside of the spokes. Here is where copy-cats often spend less attention to detail.

China is also the undisputed king of where real stuff gets manufactured.

dont want to start a dispute,but China is also the king of real and necessity

As for the second paragraph you just copied what I’ve said, but thnx anyway

Last edited:
Something interesting I found is under Model X accessories on Tesla.com does not list the 22” turbine as Forged. When I got them thru the referral it said Forged. But need to check the back of my wheels to see if it’s actually marked forged anywhere cuz they are super heavy

The Model S arachnid still says Forged on the website.

Good question. So far Ive seen ones made in taiwan where the logo and details are laser etched in the inner barrel and ones made in china with part numbers and details embossed on the individual spokes.

Laser etched
B425B9BC-1AAA-4CD2-A168-CAD1D2229F47.jpeg

Casted
8FA5EA15-FB1A-4315-A9E2-B1A1817F870B.jpeg
79C9C8DB-F735-42AD-A9D9-0DB018E861D3.jpeg

Good question. So far Ive seen ones made in taiwan where the logo and details are laser etched in the inner barrel and ones made in china with part numbers and details embossed on the individual spokes.

Laser etched
View attachment 527398

Casted
View attachment 527399 View attachment 527400
thank you ,this is very helpful。do you still have the pictures of the first set of rims which was made in Taiwan, is this set can be confirmed comes from Tesla directly? If the 5 holes in the center are pear-shaped or round?

The last two sets with engravings in the back of the spokes and pear-shaped holes are cast wheels(which can hardly be replica, Both Mexico and China made ones are real factory ones. that I can be sure.)

Last edited:
That may be true they never offered it , but I think the confusion is they use to promote the referral wheels as forged. Even though it may never have been forged.View attachment 527679

interesting....before posting this thread I was only wondering how to spot the fake forged rims, now after seeing your post and @jgrgnt ’s post , I’m now starting to wonder if they ever send out forged 22 rims, if all forged 22 rims out there are replicas .

anyone else have photos of the back ?

this is forged,where did you get this may I ask? Directly from Tesla? Cos I found the details a bit questionable, maybe the dust

What leads you to believe these wheels are forged?

I purchased a set of used Taiwan-production 22s shortly after I bought my car (pics below). Other than the different markings and hub casting shape, they were identical to the Mexico-production referral set from Tesla that I received last year, including the weight.

IMG_1451.jpg
IMG_3483.jpg
IMG_4014.jpg