Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

help, how to spot fake 22 turbine wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also just got an email from Tesla that I'm eligible for a forged 22 turbine set. I asked if they are different from the standard Tesla 22 cast wheels, and the guy replied ”I don't know, but the part number is different!”.

My reaction: until today I thought referral MS Arachnid is forged, referral MX is cast and the same as OEM wheels. But WTF? Why different part number?

I also just got an email from Tesla that I'm eligible for a forged 22 turbine set. I asked if they are different from the standard Tesla 22 cast wheels, and the guy replied ”I don't know, but the part number is different!”.

My reaction: until today I thought referral MS Arachnid is forged, referral MX is cast and the same as OEM wheels. But WTF? Why different part number?

I have yet to see proof that Tesla actually manufactured forged 22" MX referral wheels. If they are the same weight as the stock 22" wheels, they are not forged.

I believe the reference to forged in the App is a typo. If you take a look at the archives of their Referral Program website you can see they removed the Forged language in the Feb 1,2018 to April 30, 2018 programs. The language existed in the Sep 28,2017 to Jan 31, 2018 program. It even states that the wheels are forged-aluminum. Bizarre.

Referral Program

a bit OT but I see so many of these referral sets flooding the used market, what's the inside word on how people are getting SO many referrals enough to buy $6k wheels with? Do *THAT* many people have 600 friends that have installed solar with their referral code (@$100 per referral)? Afaictl the vehicle purchase referrals only give 1k supercharger miles

It feels like everyone is in on some inside tip that I'm once again left out on

a bit OT but I see so many of these referral sets flooding the used market, what's the inside word on how people are getting SO many referrals enough to buy $6k wheels with? Do *THAT* many people have 600 friends that have installed solar with their referral code (@$100 per referral)? Afaictl the vehicle purchase referrals only give 1k supercharger miles

The final iteration of the old referral system only required 3 referrals to unlock the 22" wheels. And Model 3s were included, so the threshold was (relatively) easy to meet.

Reactions: njhtran

Tesla is constantly backlogged on giving out referral awards. These are referral awards from the previous programs.

Also important to note that there's sets of real OEM wheels out there, but not for street use. They're stamped with Tesla's logos and were manufactured for display purposes within the show rooms. As far as I could tell, they hold weight but are not for road use. I don't recall if there were stamped for display only though.

Forged wheels also refer to a manufacturing process. All of us are assuming when they refer to forged, they're referring to forged aluminum - which most wheel manufacturers refer to. But there's also forged magnesium wheels and forged steel wheels. It's very possible all the wheels are forged in terms of manufacturing process but use a different metal or aluminum alloy that's much heavier than that of an aftermarket aluminum alloy wheel. That wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to hit certain targets - aero, weight/tow capacity, low manufacturing costs.

Referral wheels seem to have the following part #s 1027246 and 1027247. Can anyone with non-referral wheels confirm they have the same part#? The Tesla Part Catalog has different part#s.

Also important to note that there's sets of real OEM wheels out there, but not for street use. They're stamped with Tesla's logos and were manufactured for display purposes within the show rooms. As far as I could tell, they hold weight but are not for road use. I don't recall if there were stamped for display only though.

Forged wheels also refer to a manufacturing process. All of us are assuming when they refer to forged, they're referring to forged aluminum - which most wheel manufacturers refer to. But there's also forged magnesium wheels and forged steel wheels. It's very possible all the wheels are forged in terms of manufacturing process but use a different metal or aluminum alloy that's much heavier than that of an aftermarket aluminum alloy wheel. That wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to hit certain targets - aero, weight/tow capacity, low manufacturing costs.

In previous referral programs they referred to the 22" wheels as being aluminum forged. My theory - I think Tesla planned to make these wheels forged, but never did it. They updated the language on their website for future referrals, but forgot to update it on the App.