Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! HV battery died 2 weeks after warranty expired.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi TMC members, I just joined and I'm looking for some help. I have a 2013 Model S P85 that has been an awesome car but on the morning of 10/5/21 I got an alert that said "Maximum battery charge level reduced".

I drove it to the service shop right away and they took a look at it. They said it was a problem with the battery and even worse, my 8 year drivetrain warranty had expired 2 weeks ago.
We scheduled the soonest appointment available, November 4th, and I was on my way.
When I arrived at home that evening, I thought I would charge my car to see how much range I would be able to charge up to. I was thinking that if the battery was starting to degrade, I would start losing some of that battery range. A few days prior, I was able to charge up to 245 miles. I figured when it said Maximum battery level reduced, that meant the battery would only be able to charge up to a max of 230 miles or something like that.

When I plugged it in to charge, the battery was showing 130 miles of range. but when I looked at the screen to see what was happening, the screen said "Charging Complete".
I tried several times and received the same message each time. The battery would no longer charge.
Soon after, I received the service appointment email with an estimate of nearly $25,000.00 to replace the HV battery. Needless to say, I was shocked. I had literally gone from a fully functioning battery and sweet, reliable, Model S to "Dead Man Walking" overnight.

Over the next couple of days, I took several trips back to the service center to talk to the manager. I basically pleaded with him and TESLA to extend some sort of goodwill towards the warranty since it was so close to the expiration date. He agreed with me about it being barely out of warranty....the closest he had ever seen.... and he said he would talk to the regional manager.
Two days later after I didn't receive any replies from the service center, I drove back in and found the service manager. He said the regional managers said "No" because even though it had only been 2 weeks past the warranty expiration, they couldn't/wouldn't do anything.
The best they could do was a $10,000-12,000.00 Refurbished battery with a 4 year warranty.

I've tried to go above the service manager, whose hands are tied, to discuss this with a regional manager but I can't find a number or way to contact one.

My questions for everyone here are.
Does anyone know how to get in touch with a real, live, regional service manager so I can discuss the issue with them?
Has anyone else on here experienced anything like this?
I'm feeling extremely let down by Tesla's service center at this point.
Thanks if you read it this far.

Spending $25k and proceeds from parting out the car gets you a long way towards a new vehicle under warranty. That's a sour circumstance though being just out of warranty. Remember, the engineer's job is to remove absolutely everything that makes a thing work so that it will still function within the warranty period.

Electrified Garage might be able to offer a second opinion.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I have to follow up with some more bizarre news. To recap, my car at this point has been parked on the side of my house with the battery slowly draining. I stopped driving it once I got home from the Tesla service shop on Oct. 5th, the day that the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" light came on.
They ran a diagnostic on it and told me "Your battery is dead and you need to replace it" Then they made me an appointment and sent me the estimate for $25,000.
When I got home, I tried to plug into my 240v outlet at home. I had 130 miles on the car and it said "Charging Complete". I unplugged it and plugged it back in trying unsuccessfully to get it to start charging. After that, I reset the displays but nothing would clear the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" Alert or get the car to start taking a charge.

At that point, I shut off the cabin overheat protection, put my car cover on it and let it sit to try and preserve the battery I had left before it was a brick. From there the car sat and my battery continued to drain over the next couple of weeks while I went back and forth with the service center trying to get some mercy.

Then, sometime during the week of Oct 18-22nd I got an alert that an update was available so I had it update.
I didn't check out the car immediately after it updated but on Oct. 22nd, I checked my phone app and I was down to 59 miles on the battery. I was going out of town so in effort to keep it from being dead when I got back, I decided I'd try to put on the 120 adapter and plug it into a 120v outlet to see if it would keep it from draining.
To my surprise, the light went green and the car started charging at 2-3 mph. I let it charge and it went up to 88 miles before sending me a notice that the charging was interrupted. I thought that was all I was going to get but when I got back home a few days later, I discovered the power had been shut off by PG&E during a storm. I disconnected and reconnected the 120V plug and it continued to charge! At 131 miles I stopped with the 120V and got into the car to move it to my 240v charger. The "Maximum battery charge level reduced" light was now gone and I was able to set the limit to 80% and charge up to over 200 miles before stopping it there. I drove it today without any problems but I haven't tried to charge it again yet because I'm still at 170+ miles.
At this point I don't know what to think. Am I driving a ticking time bomb and the battery is going to crap out again any day or was Tesla terribly wrong with there $25000 diagnosis and the car was only suffering from a software glitch?

Additionally, on the new estimate contract for the battery work, they state this below. If this is the case, my car has spent close to 14 days in the shop before the warranty ran out so doesn't that mean my warranty should have been extended ? One of the major repairs done under warranty was the replacement of the drive unit/motor at 44,xxx miles. Adding up these days would put me within a few days of the warranty running out before this problem came up. Am I out of line asking Tesla to do a thorough inspection of this battery and replace it under warranty if it really is "dead" (or abut to be).
1635395420314.png
?

It’s just happened to my 2012 model S today and battery out of warranty 6 months ago, this really bad and so sad for me. Any one can advise me what I should do.
I think you're out of luck at 6 months out. I'm not getting anywhere with them and my car was only 2 weeks (or less) out of warranty when my problem came up. Are you getting the same battery messages I got? If so, try updating the latest software release and maybe even try charging it at 120V to see if it will work.

I think you're out of luck at 6 months out. I'm not getting anywhere with them and my car was only 2 weeks (or less) out of warranty when my problem came up. Are you getting the same battery messages I got? If so, try updating the latest software release and maybe even try charging it at 120V to see if it will work.
Any updates on your unfortunate situation?

I have to follow up with some more bizarre news. To recap, my car at this point has been parked on the side of my house with the battery slowly draining. I stopped driving it once I got home from the Tesla service shop on Oct. 5th, the day that the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" light came on.
They ran a diagnostic on it and told me "Your battery is dead and you need to replace it" Then they made me an appointment and sent me the estimate for $25,000.
When I got home, I tried to plug into my 240v outlet at home. I had 130 miles on the car and it said "Charging Complete". I unplugged it and plugged it back in trying unsuccessfully to get it to start charging. After that, I reset the displays but nothing would clear the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" Alert or get the car to start taking a charge.

At that point, I shut off the cabin overheat protection, put my car cover on it and let it sit to try and preserve the battery I had left before it was a brick. From there the car sat and my battery continued to drain over the next couple of weeks while I went back and forth with the service center trying to get some mercy.

Then, sometime during the week of Oct 18-22nd I got an alert that an update was available so I had it update.
I didn't check out the car immediately after it updated but on Oct. 22nd, I checked my phone app and I was down to 59 miles on the battery. I was going out of town so in effort to keep it from being dead when I got back, I decided I'd try to put on the 120 adapter and plug it into a 120v outlet to see if it would keep it from draining.
To my surprise, the light went green and the car started charging at 2-3 mph. I let it charge and it went up to 88 miles before sending me a notice that the charging was interrupted. I thought that was all I was going to get but when I got back home a few days later, I discovered the power had been shut off by PG&E during a storm. I disconnected and reconnected the 120V plug and it continued to charge! At 131 miles I stopped with the 120V and got into the car to move it to my 240v charger. The "Maximum battery charge level reduced" light was now gone and I was able to set the limit to 80% and charge up to over 200 miles before stopping it there. I drove it today without any problems but I haven't tried to charge it again yet because I'm still at 170+ miles.
At this point I don't know what to think. Am I driving a ticking time bomb and the battery is going to crap out again any day or was Tesla terribly wrong with there $25000 diagnosis and the car was only suffering from a software glitch?

Additionally, on the new estimate contract for the battery work, they state this below. If this is the case, my car has spent close to 14 days in the shop before the warranty ran out so doesn't that mean my warranty should have been extended ? One of the major repairs done under warranty was the replacement of the drive unit/motor at 44,xxx miles. Adding up these days would put me within a few days of the warranty running out before this problem came up. Am I out of line asking Tesla to do a thorough inspection of this battery and replace it under warranty if it really is "dead" (or abut to be).View attachment 726569?
I found this, maybe this will help: