Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - I cannot switch off auto headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorry if this has been reported before - I couldn't find it

All very exciting I now have auto-dipping headlights - if only I could tell what they auto-dipped in response to.
Doesn't seem to be in relation to oncoming traffic as other systems do, think mine are just set to random.
They also now have an annoying habit of not switching to main beam for several seconds when you flip the stalk.

No problem thinks I - just switch off the Auto thing and wait a couple of software builds and all will be good.

Except that swtiching off Auto makes precisely no difference whatsoever and the lights still do their own thing.

Come on Tesla you can (and really need to) do better than this.
Headlight behaviour is perilously close to a safety issue.

Next update please.

sorry if this has been reported before - I couldn't find it

All very exciting I now have auto-dipping headlights - if only I could tell what they auto-dipped in response to.
Doesn't seem to be in relation to oncoming traffic as other systems do, think mine are just set to random.
They also now have an annoying habit of not switching to main beam for several seconds when you flip the stalk.

No problem thinks I - just switch off the Auto thing and wait a couple of software builds and all will be good.

Except that swtiching off Auto makes precisely no difference whatsoever and the lights still do their own thing.

Come on Tesla you can (and really need to) do better than this.
Headlight behaviour is perilously close to a safety issue.

Next update please.

Which “auto” are you turning off? The “auto high beam” button definitely changes things for me.

The last couple of FW updates have certainly made my auto-on headlights more on all the time. The auto-high beam part has always been a bit aggressive with oncoming traffic (e.g. likes to stay on high).

Like @brkaus turning off the auto setting does work for me.

This is on an MS AP2 car.

Ticket 10-11-2017.jpg

On sort of a related note, I recently got a ticket for "Failure to Dim Lights-Meeting". The auto high beam option was on and working fine, but the motorcycle cop was hiding on a dark road with his lights off so the auto high beams turned on. As soon as another car approached, the lights dimmed. He said I blinded him so I had to have blinded the other driver. I tried to explain the auto high beam option and show him on the screen but told me didn't care; he said explain it to the judge. I guess I'll take my owner's manual to court and see if the judge will be reasonable.

I agree that they don't dim as soon as if I was manually controlling it, but I didn't think it was so long that I deserved a ticket either. I'm curious how I'll fare in court too!
Good luck! I also feel they stay on a bit too long. A few months back, they didn't come on enough.

But I think it is cheating to say he was blinded while hiding on the side of the road w/o lights. You need the brights to see animals, etc that may jump out.

I'm not sure I would argue the automatic dimming, except as auto dimming that you monitor carefully and dim if it does not. He was blinded before the other car crested the hill/came around the corner, etc. They were not as they were a longer distance away and you reacted as soon as you saw their lights.

Last edited:
Reactions: benjiejr
View attachment 254671

On sort of a related note, I recently got a ticket for "Failure to Dim Lights-Meeting". The auto high beam option was on and working fine, but the motorcycle cop was hiding on a dark road with his lights off so the auto high beams turned on. As soon as another car approached, the lights dimmed. He said I blinded him so I had to have blinded the other driver. I tried to explain the auto high beam option and show him on the screen but told me didn't care; he said explain it to the judge. I guess I'll take my owner's manual to court and see if the judge will be reasonable.
Good luck. $152 sounds like a steep fine for such a violation.

View attachment 254671

Wow, that's weak. Check out the law for your state: Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP - TRANSP § 547.333 | FindLaw
Specifically, section (b)(2)(B):
". . a lowermost distribution of light or composite beam that is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam on a vehicle that is operated on a straight, level road under any condition of loading projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator."

Defending against this citation should be a cakewalk. Just prepare a defense where you submit into evidence the section of the owner's manual showing that the high beam is automatically lowered when oncoming traffic is present, the picture showing that it was turned on, and then have a field day cross-examining the officer. Ask him to recite section 547.333(b)(2)(B). Ask if he was approaching your vehicle when he observed your high beams? (No.) Ask if he spoke with the operator of any other vehicles that approached your vehicle on a straight, level section of road, and questioned whether your headlight projected into their eyes, as a violation of this section would require?

Then apologize to the court on behalf of the officer for wasting their time.. :-D

I queried this with support. As mine would turn off but within a few minutes be back on auto.

I was told that’s how it’s meant to be. Something about when parking (I wasn’t really listening).

I wish you could turn it off!!

• Informative
^think this is what happened to me.

switched off for a while then reinstated itself.
Did a power off reboot and does seem better behaved, even the bluetooth issue of one way audio seems resolved.

It should stay off for the remainder of the journey at the very least.

I am frustrated that I find myself getting steadily more and more fed up with Tesla software issues.
This is automotive, not some piece of flaky freeware downloaded to windows.
I really hope they up their game.

• Informative
There are essentially two off switches, the CID enable button and the manual stalk switch on the steering column, though perhaps the UK is different. So if the CID button is set to off and the stalk is set to low beams, the car is still turning on high beams? That's sounds like a service issue. If the stalk is still in high beam position then I'd expect the high beams to be on constantly, though they might still auto dim if the CID was screwing up.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
There might be two off switches, but the two on switches are ANDed and unreliable.
When I want Main beam off - I want them to stay off - this works.
When I want Main beam on- I want it on exactly at the time I flip the switch not several seconds later, and I want it to stay on and not keep switching off whem it feels like it.

And If I switch the auto function off I expect it to stay off and not re-enable itself, though I will accept it might default to on at the start of each drive.

Ultimately Tesla have some more work to do on the algorithm, yet again they have released primitive software and are field testing it in order to refine it. Improvements will comeno doubt but right now it's a bit of a mess.

This is automotive, not some piece of flaky freeware downloaded to windows.

But, as we call all see, this is the future of cars. More and more of them will be just as flakey as your computer/smart phone with software updates that 'fix' things that aren't broken, make gratuitous changes in how things work, and break things that used to work fine.

I say this without any sarcasm, Tesla is leading the car industry in this regard. This is the future of cars.

not so new really - I had several software updates to various Audis over the years to fix issues, sat nav problems where the voice prompt would announce at the wrong time, trip computer that could not count properly, the never did fix that the trip computer would lie about the mpg to the tune of at least 3mpg, but then they probably didnt see that as a bug, just marketing.

need a few less gremlins from Tesla though, but the positive is that updates come pretty fast, none of this waiting until the next service.

A quick update re: this case. I went to court last week, the officer appeared and did claim to remember the event. I was pulled aside by the prosecution prior to a jury appearing and they tried to make a deal. I showed them some of my evidence including the Tesla manual and explained what happened. We reviewed the officer's motorcycle dash video for quite a while. You could see my brights come on after traffic passed me and dim as traffic approached. In the end, there really wasn't enough evidence and the prosecutor said this is a ridiculous waste of the court's time and dismissed it.

It would have been much quicker and easier to just pay the $152 fine up front, but I see this officer around the neighborhood very often. I'm sure he's looking to catch me again. lol

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa and kvandivo
...the prosecutor said this is a ridiculous waste of the court's time and dismissed it...

I couldn't agree more with that statement and still shocked he would even waste the time to pull you over and give you a ticket for this. As the video showed, and as we all know, it may stay on a second longer than we like but it's not like the high beams never turned off. What a waste of time and pretty much this officer was just being a jerk. I'm glad you got it dismissed.