Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: I Can't Connect the Connector Under the Glove Box.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Kirby64 @chronopc

I snapped the emergency speaker connector a few weeks ago as well. Tesla doesn't sell the harness end connectors, and there is no part number marking on the connector, just a Delphi and material marking. I spent considerable time sifting through the Delphi catalogs and eventually found it, it's Delphi (now Aptiv) P/N 13543877.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

I ended up repairing it with the correct connector, but don't know how to check it's functioning. My understanding from the little information I could find on it was that it's used to annunciate Autopilot system chimes when the MCU is down. I checked this in broken state by resetting my MCU and then engaging and disengaging AP while the screen was still black - no chimes. After 'repairing' the speaker connection, I still don't get any AP chimes while the screen is rebooting...now i'm questioning my repair or when this speaker makes sounds.

Anybody know exactly when this emergency speaker should sound.

@Kirby64 @chronopc

I snapped the emergency speaker connector a few weeks ago as well. Tesla doesn't sell the harness end connectors, and there is no part number marking on the connector, just a Delphi and material marking. I spent considerable time sifting through the Delphi catalogs and eventually found it, it's Delphi (now Aptiv) P/N 13543877.

View attachment 470806 View attachment 470812 View attachment 470808 View attachment 470809 View attachment 470813

I ended up repairing it with the correct connector, but don't know how to check it's functioning. My understanding from the little information I could find on it was that it's used to annunciate Autopilot system chimes when the MCU is down. I checked this in broken state by resetting my MCU and then engaging and disengaging AP while the screen was still black - no chimes. After 'repairing' the speaker connection, I still don't get any AP chimes while the screen is rebooting...now i'm questioning my repair or when this speaker makes sounds.

Anybody know exactly when this emergency speaker should sound.

Thank you for the information about the connector. Do you know where I can purchase one of these? Everywhere I looked except the Aptiv website either didn't recognize the part or had none in stock.

Honestly, $96 may be worth the cost.
I personally believe these connectors break on there own. When i removed the cover the cable was already dangling and at first appeared as if it just disconnected on it's own. However i quickly realized that the connector actually broke in half.

The replacement connector was cut out of a longer cable harness which the technician had to solder the connection together in the car. Tesla Mobile service charged me $97 to repair.

Do you really need the speaker? Sounds like it's just a spare warning device. I'm not sure I'd even put any effort into it.

I get it, though, you hurt your baby and you want it fixed. It just seems a bit frivolous in this case.
If the display is rebooting or otherwise unusable, that emergency speaker lets you get notification and alert noises from the car. I would want to make sure it was hooked up.

If the display is rebooting or otherwise unusable, that emergency speaker lets you get notification and alert noises from the car. I would want to make sure it was hooked up.

Ran into this same problem last weekend while trying to fix the stinking AC problem.
That connector just broke with very little pressure and it would not come out of the housing no matter how i tried.

Was a pain to get the broken half out of the speaker housing.

For now, i used two separate header pin kind of connectors and spliced the other end of these with the wires in the car. (see attachment for example of what i am talking about!)

Its hard / almost impossible to find those exact original connectors. After searching the whole internet., could only find 1 site which was willing to take my order (for the Mercedes part number posted on this thread!).

Interestingly that part is called a 'clutch'. (https: slash slash www dot ecstuning dot com/b-genuine-mercedes-benz-parts/clutch/0255452726/) - Will take a while to ship - but will report once i get them (if i get them!)

In the mean time, to test my current in-line splice solution with the header pins, I put the car on autopilot and rebooted it (while driving) and did not touch the steering..., and let the car beep (while the display was rebooting). I cloud hear the beeps come via this speaker (its not the normal frequency/tone beeps that you otherwise hear, its a bit different.).

--- btw, this test was done in a street with no traffic - in a safe condition.

Also, the 'white' wire from the car harness goes to the left pin when the speaker is mounted on the car. (i.e, driver side in the US/left hand driving models).

Attachments

• cfc9e764-9cc2-4ffb-a3ae-5e257e62f19a_1.7f865ef93525c76afa3bb1d88712e40d[1].jpeg
    cfc9e764-9cc2-4ffb-a3ae-5e257e62f19a_1.7f865ef93525c76afa3bb1d88712e40d[1].jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 610
Can anyone share how to extend the cables? (which cable to get, etc.)

And @Muskol can you confirm that 1 is red and 2 is green? That's what I gathered from the picture, but not sure if it'll be functioning properly. It seems pretty important after reading @smatthew's comment.

It was hard pulling it out for me as well, and I'm glad I found this thread. However, I'm thinking about extending the existing cable so that it'll be easier to remove in the future. I guess there's that possibility of having an easy disconnection next time and then I wouldn't need to worry about this at all, but after examining the connector closely, I have a feeling it's still going to break the next time.

Can anyone share how to extend the cables? (which cable to get, etc.)

And @Muskol can you confirm that 1 is red and 2 is green? That's what I gathered from the picture, but not sure if it'll be functioning properly. It seems pretty important after reading @smatthew's comment.

It was hard pulling it out for me as well, and I'm glad I found this thread. However, I'm thinking about extending the existing cable so that it'll be easier to remove in the future. I guess there's that possibility of having an easy disconnection next time and then I wouldn't need to worry about this at all, but after examining the connector closely, I have a feeling it's still going to break the next time.
Red is positive/1 and green is negative/2.

27 AWG wire should be good.

@SanteeMike My 2 cents is that I looked at it very closely and had similar thinking, but honestly it does not look like the mechanism is designed to help release it.

Btw, I'm actually not sure if I'll be capable to find the right cable, connector, and extend the cable like I thought. I'm purchasing the connector from ECS Tuning and will just use a plier (or 2) and more caution and patience when putting it back in and removing it next time. Will report back if I can get some good pictures.

Polarity or matching the correct wire with the pin should not matter when fixing or extending this connector. The speaker will work no matter how you connect the two wires to the two pins.
Technically correct but with a caveat: Polarity can be ignored only when considering driving a single speaker. With a stereo system it could make a noticeable difference in sound reproduction.

ref: https://audiouniversityonline.com/speaker-polarity/

Reactions: android04
so i have a slightly related problem - when changing the air filters I noticed the speaker below the glove box has no wiring harness attached to it. This is June 2019 Build HW 3.0 car. I searched around and I don't see a loose wiring harness to connect to the speaker. From googling I understand this is some sort of backup speaker for the autopilot. is this normal not to be connected? Once COVID is over I will have them check it out if it is supposed to have a harness.

UPDATE: It seems the harness might be squished against the firewall and the lower dash connector. At this point I'm just going to leave it there till the next major service item post-covid and have them fix it as the connector looks like it is pancaked and likely will need replacement. It looks to me like a factory install screw-up that nobody bothered to fix despite two previous filter changes.

Last edited:
Did first cabin filter replacement today. While doing so, noticed one of the 4 plastic clips that attaches the lock plate under the glove box was missing (only 3 of 4 holding it in place). Upon remove this plate/cover, I noticed the speaker wire in my car wasn’t even connected though the light was. Occurred to me this must’ve happened when mobile service replaced my glove box shortly after first receiving the car. At any rate, seems this speaker hasn’t been connected, am not sure what it does or if I’ll miss it (esp considering it hasn’t been connected since I’ve owned the car)?