Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help I had cpo for a week and wife hates it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife really dislikes the height of the car, both entering and exiting the vehicle AND the low vantage point behind the wheel. She also dislikes the feel of regen braking, and the cup holders. I've convinced her that the car is *terrible* and that she shouldn't drive it.

So I always drive the Tesla......
....and she always drives the Ford F250

Win-Win

Hey Guys,
I need some ideas. When I test drove the Tesla i brought my kids and father in law which sold my wife. It took a few months before I found a cpo 2014 model s 85 with ap1) Loving the car, the kids love the car. The wife does not.
1. It is too low (I don[t have the suspension package, she used to driving a SUV and she short)
2. No door handle inside the car to grab on to get in and out.

I am hoping once i get her behind the wheel she will find more comfortable getting in and out. But also wonder i can add some inside door handles, that she can use.
Any suggestion?
Who is the car for - you or your wife? Who will drive it most of the time? Does she have a car?

Reactions: Whistle2Whine
Thanks for the comments, we do ride together and I wanted to use it as a family car. we had an electric fiat, which is easier to get in believer or not. We would trade off on the electric car depending who had the longer route during the day (kids works) My whole point was to make the model s the utility car and replace the suv. She has more liberal charging at her work compared to mine. Hopefully in time she will get used to it, she keeps on telling me not to worry about it and enjoy the car, that it her problem and that one day she will eventually drive the car.

• Love
Reactions: SMAlset
Me being 22 and driving a low sitting car that's "hard" to get in and out of, I can understand this. I can slip in and out of my car with no issues, but seeing some of my coworkers and older friends to get into the passenger seat in the same manner is painful to watch. That being said, it's entirely how you enter and exit the car. I'd just encourage her to try to pivot rather than slide, and she'll likely learn to be okay with it.

I remember when I got into the Model S to settle in for my weekend test drive from Nashville to Jackson, Mississippi my first thought was "Wow, the ceiling is low AND this thing is close to the ground." It wasn't hard to get in to, for me, but the MS certainly sits low and has a low ceiling, and I think the majority of the issue is bending enough to get into the car without denting the your head/the doorframe.

Me being 22 and driving a low sitting car that's "hard" to get in and out of, I can understand this. I can slip in and out of my car with no issues, but seeing some of my coworkers and older friends to get into the passenger seat in the same manner is painful to watch. That being said, it's entirely how you enter and exit the car. I'd just encourage her to try to pivot rather than slide, and she'll likely learn to be okay with it.

I remember when I got into the Model S to settle in for my weekend test drive from Nashville to Jackson, Mississippi my first thought was "Wow, the ceiling is low AND this thing is close to the ground." It wasn't hard to get in to, for me, but the MS certainly sits low and has a low ceiling, and I think the majority of the issue is bending enough to get into the car without denting the your head/the doorframe.

That's what I noticed immediately too. Plus you also have to be careful not to hit yourself in the face or eye with the slanted edge of the frameless window. Being glass even in daylight it's not as noticeable as a metal frame and when you are parked close to another car you can't swing the door open as much so the window is kind of right there as you try to get in. When the seat is set to a higher position I find I kind of crawl into the car and try not to hit my head as you mentioned. Hubby and I are on the short side so I can't imagine how a really tall person gets in. With bolstered seats, swiveling in and out comfortably is not as easy to do as seating without much bolstering.

I did have a good setting for the seat position when I got in the passenger side tonight but then played with the seat height and then other settings and need to find that good spot again. :confused:o_O:( Really need to spend some time playing with the controls and learn what works best for me. All said though I look forward to being in the car and do look for places to go in it.

A Model S is actually a 1/2 inch or so shorter than a Volt, and people complain of headroom in a Volt.

Hey Guys,
I need some ideas. When I test drove the Tesla i brought my kids and father in law which sold my wife. It took a few months before I found a cpo 2014 model s 85 with ap1) Loving the car, the kids love the car. The wife does not.
1. It is too low (I don[t have the suspension package, she used to driving a SUV and she short)
2. No door handle inside the car to grab on to get in and out.

I am hoping once i get her behind the wheel she will find more comfortable getting in and out. But also wonder i can add some inside door handles, that she can use.
Any suggestion?

1. The SAS doesn't make a tremendous height difference on the S ~1in, but it does make a big difference in the X.
If she still wants an SUV, the X is the option. If you're patient, you can find used ones at decent prices.

2. This was extremely annoying at first to us, it takes about a week or two to get over. I can't even think of what I grab on to now, but it hasn't been a problem to get in or out of the car.

My wife came from a SUV and initially had the same reaction as yours. She now loves our S, and hates driving the X. After getting used to it, she says the S is actually the perfect car for her. So she may get used to it. I'm the reverse, I like driving the X more due to the seating position comfort and visibility.
*Disclaimer: Handling is hands down better in the S and overall I think the S is a far superior car and better value

I'd recommend taking as many test drives as possible, including overnight/weekend ones to truly get a good feel. Just the other day I was thinking about how overwhelmed I was on our first test drive, everything has become muscle memory at this point though.

Does the all-glass roof on the Model S give more headroom? I would think it does. I never saw one in person. Good luck finding one of those as a CPO.

Many say it does, I'm not sure that it does. It hasn't seemed like it did or didn't vs a pano or fixed roof. There definitely is a sense of airiness compared to a fixed roof though.

Does the all-glass roof on the Model S give more headroom? I would think it does. I never saw one in person. Good luck finding one of those as a CPO.

It FEELS more open than the pano, but I don't think it gives you more headroom in any seating position than the pano. I think some guys in another thread decided it gives another 1" or so of headroom up front and maybe another 3" in the back compared to the regular roof.

My opinion may not be accurate, though, as I've only sat in a regular and pano car once for about 5 minutes, but spent an entire weekend in an all-glass car.

That's what I noticed immediately too. Plus you also have to be careful not to hit yourself in the face or eye with the slanted edge of the frameless window. Being glass even in daylight it's not as noticeable as a metal frame and when you are parked close to another car you can't swing the door open as much so the window is kind of right there as you try to get in. When the seat is set to a higher position I find I kind of crawl into the car and try not to hit my head as you mentioned. Hubby and I are on the short side so I can't imagine how a really tall person gets in. With bolstered seats, swiveling in and out comfortably is not as easy to do as seating without much bolstering...
I do as Jason S suggested above: sit down with both legs outside then swing my legs inside. Having long legs, I've been doing it this way in all cars for decades. The difficulty is getting out: I have the seat and steering wheel pretty far back so the B-pillar is in the way. I tried to use an "exit" setting that moves the steering wheel and seat forward but that was too slow and too much trouble. So I struggle to get out, especially when I can only open the door to the first detent position (but I nearly always park well away from other cars to avoid door dings, so that isn't usually an issue).

The whole business of no grab handles really annoys me. Watching my 92 year old mother struggle to get out of my car makes me realize what a crazy oversight the lack of grab handles is on Tesla's part; it is carrying "minimalism" way too far IMO. The solution for my mother is for me to hurry around the car to help her out. I'm relatively spry for an old guy — I lift weights, bicycle a steep thousand foot hill, and am not overweight — but not everyone else is, especially older folks like me.

Thanks for the comments, we do ride together and I wanted to use it as a family car. we had an electric fiat, which is easier to get in believer or not. We would trade off on the electric car depending who had the longer route during the day (kids works) My whole point was to make the model s the utility car and replace the suv. She has more liberal charging at her work compared to mine. Hopefully in time she will get used to it, she keeps on telling me not to worry about it and enjoy the car, that it her problem and that one day she will eventually drive the car.

I will say this - the X is easier to get in than the S, for sure. I much prefer driving the S, but it is a low-slung car.

If just getting out of the car is the only issue...this might be inconvenient...but when she is in the car (not sure the frequency of that) walk around...open the door for her and give her hand to help her out of the car. And end the exit with a kiss :)Will make her feel special, every time she rides in it.

I've found the actual seat position matters for those having trouble, or disliking ingress/egress. I'm tall and have my seat as low as it goes, but have the passenger side raised substantially. This seems to make it easier, especially with older family members who have reduced mobility.

I know some owners are hard on Tesla's side on the grab handles, but I really, really wish the car had them. It would make driving our parents around sooo much easier. I feel bad watching them struggle to get out (getting in is easier). And I kind of feel like Tesla could have come up with something that didn't hurt the interior look if they tried.

set the air suspension to high and setup a user profile called exit that makes it easier for your wife to egress

my wife has the exact same complaints and the damn non adjustable shoulder belt is her third issue with the s

she hated the X and wouldn't even test drive it