Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help. I need suggestions for solving "USB Device Malfunction" error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NedH

Feb 27, 2019
GA
Immediately after update 2021.24.4 I started getting "USB Device Malfunction" error. My USB drive had been working for 3 years. I've run out of things to do to resolve the issue.

Here's what I've tried:
1. A brand new drive that's on Tesla drive recommendation list formatting on both PC and using the car to format.
2. Had service appointment two weeks ago. They claimed drive was corrupted. They reformatted. It worked for one day.
3. Using both quick and full formatting on a PC. No luck.
4. Using 3 different brand new drives all on Tesla drive recommendation list. One 128GB two are 64GB.
5. Brand new drives work for 4 or 5 hours then camera logo disappears and "USB Device Malfunction" error returns.
6. Formatted all drives on PC and on Tesla doesn't make any difference.
7. Update 2021.24.10 doesn't fix the problem

I have another service appointment Sept 23. I'm not optimistic.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited:
Immediately after update 2021.24.4 I started getting "USB Device Malfunction" error. My USB drive had been working for 3 years. I've run out of things to do to resolve the issue.

Here's what I've tried:
1. A brand new drive that's on Tesla drive recommendation list formatting on both PC and using the car to format.
2. Had service appointment two weeks ago. They claimed drive was corrupted. They reformatted. It worked for one day.
3. Using both quick and full formatting on a PC. No luck.
4. Using 3 different brand new drives all on Tesla drive recommendation list. One 128GB two are 64GB.
5. Brand new drives work for 4 or 5 hours then camera logo disappears and "USB Device Malfunction" error returns.
6. Formatted all drives on PC and on Tesla doesn't make any difference.
7. Update 2021.24.10 doesn't fix the problem

I have another service appointment Sept 23. I'm not optimistic.

Would appreciate any suggestions.
Any progress?

No. I have service appointment today and we'll see what happens. If they don't have a solution I'm going to insist that they escalate this up to headquarters.

Do you have a similar problem?

No. I have service appointment today and we'll see what happens. If they don't have a solution I'm going to insist that they escalate this up to headquarters.

Do you have a similar problem?
yes, I have exactly the same problem.
I tried everything that I can do including hard reset but of no use.

please post what happened at the service center after visiting. mine is 2019 sr+

Found this elsewhere. Open the car manual and search for

“USB Connected Flash Drives”

and ensure you are complying with what it says. Here is the link to the thread this came from

We've had this intermittently for maybe two months now. I wasn't paying close enough attention to correlate it with a software update. Our normal configuration is one USB goes to one phone plug on the rubber shelf. The other USB goes to a hub that has the USB stick for sentry and the other phone plug for the rubber mat.

We had the car serviced last week and I asked the tech about this. While he cautioned that using a hub may be putting more draw on the USB ports than they're meant to handle, he also said he thinks software introduced this fussiness, and hopes they'll make it go away soon. FWIW.

I've been having this issue for months now on my 2020 Model X LR. Started getting an intermittent "park assist unavailable" msg while driving. over time, the screen controls became very sluggish - nav slow to respond, homelink delayed response, car doors delayed response to screen controls, driver profiles not changing setting all the way through etc. Was told it was a software issue, wait for future update. Then one day car died in a parking lot. wouldn't shift out of Park - tried rebooting screen several times, etc. had it towed, SC replaced eMMC card. But the issues persist - park assist unavailable flashes several time daily, same sluggishness and delayed responses. this past weekend, screen reboots were taking over 10 mins. SC appointments are weeks away, and they can't look at the car for days and no service loaners. I took the Dashcam USB stick out and it seems to be behaving much better, but who knows - its too temperamental to be sure. I think its my USB ports interfering so I'm going to drop this off at the SC this week and they can keep it until they sort it out. Service has become too unreliable so I'm considering trading in this lease for an Etron or something else. Lots more options coming next year.

Anyway, sorry for the vent. Would appreciate any advice on how to handle with the SC so they don't give me some nonsense response. Also don't know how to deal with the issue of no loaners - cannot depend on uber credits for my needs particularly since this is likely going to take a long time for them to figure out, once they get to it which will be several days out.

Thank you.

I've got a similar issue. Tried SanDisk Extreme, Samsung Pro Endurance, and Samsung T7 SSD. All formatted on the PC as FAT32. Service Center visit next week to figure it out. They asked for precise times of when it occurred, so hopefully the logs will help.

Mine is being serviced now waiting for a new MCU. Problem is that it's been waiting for two weeks!

I don't know if there is a service bulletin but someone thinks that's the solution.

Hope it works for me.

Did the service people know right away that it was the MCU? Or did they have to do a bunch of diagnostics? They have been working on my car for 2 months before they finally realized that it was the MCU.
I summarized what I saw on this board and gave it to advisor at SC.
However, they tried everything including replacement of USB, USB hub and finally replaced MCU.
Luckily they had a new MCU then.

Can I ask what you did to start this process? Also, what did you drive in the meantime? A car rental?
First service Aug 31: they said 4 of my USB drives were bad despite their being brand new They re-formatted the drives. The fix lasted one day. Next Service mid September: USB hub replaced. The fix lasted 2 days. Car went back for service Oct 21: they decided to replace the MCU. Car is still in service waiting for a new MCU.

They had no loaners but offered Uber credits.