Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help. I need suggestions for solving "USB Device Malfunction" error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted this elsewhere, posting here too in case it helps someone else.

Happened to me. Also, fsdBeta bricked my AP with 10.4 download on 11/7/21. Mobile service replaced the USB hub, it failed again the very next drive cycle (said there was nothing they could do for the AP since it was on Beta). Multiple updates later; no software fix. Got it into the SC; motherboard not talking to the daughter board — new MCU. Tesla said the three are not related (USB malfunctions, fsdBeta/AP malfunction, MCU malfunction) but that replacing the MCU fixed all three (which sounds like they’re all the same issue to me…).

We have been having this issue too, getting the "USB device malfunction I/O error" message. We have a 2016 Model S with HW3 & MCU2. We use a 500 GB Samsung T7 SSD. We only use 1 of the 2 USB ports. The passenger side one that we've used historically for the Sentry Mode drive has stopped working completely, any time we plug the drive in there it says we need to format it to use it. Plugging in to the driver side USB port usually works but occasionally gives the "USB device malfunction I/O error" message. Unplugging the drive & plugging it back in usually works, but sometimes it takes a few times of unplugging & plugging it back in before it will start working again. Sometimes upon plugging in we immediately again get the "USB device malfunction I/O error" message, and other times we'll get the message that we need to format the drive first. I have reformatted the drive both with the quick formatting & the full formatting. I've formatted it both on Windows 10 & MacOS. Nothing seems to resolve it permanently. Any ideas?