Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help identify acceleration clicking noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 MX with 25,000 miles. For the last 3000 miles I have been hearing a rapid clicking noise from the front under carriage when only apply torque acceleration forward from 45mph to 65mph where then the road noise starts to drown it out. The noise can also be heard and slightly felt through the pedal/steering wheel at 80-90mph. To activate the clicking noise, the car is generally at 40-50mph and then I let off the pedal to 40mph and accelerate back giving 30-50% aggressive torque to about 60mph. This whole period of applied torque the clicking sound will come on, until I let off again. The sound will not produce if I do a gradual light acceleration of about 10-25% applied torque. I've started to log the conditions when this occurs such as the temperature outside and if the car was cold or warmed up. I've attached a video of several occurrences in hopes you may help identify where its coming from and suggestions can be given to the SC. Thanks in advance.

Time intervals when the clicking noises occurs: 00:15, 00:24, 00:33, 00:36, 00:44, 00:52, 1:00, 1:06

tesla model x recorded clicking noise

Mine does that too, mostly on full throttle runs. I think of it more like a rattle. I think it’s related to the shudder. I’ve had the axles and mount replaced once already. I drive on low, and when I put in very low, it doesn’t make that sound.
whats the shudder, is that related to suspension and is that under warranty? ive never driven below the standard height before. I will try tomorrow on very low and see if the sound appears. And rattle does sound ore appropriate. thanks

It's the famous shudder issues. Your front half shafts need to be replaced! 2 of my Xs were replaced. Service center knows about this issue.
Can you help explain some of the short/long term issues caused by faulty shudders? Is there a post that can reference this issue that you can recommend. I dont want SC to blow me off when I come in for my scheduled appointment and not be able to express my concerns such as road safety or performance reduction or draining of battery working harder etc. thanks again!

Can you help explain some of the short/long term issues caused by faulty shudders? Is there a post that can reference this issue that you can recommend. I dont want SC to blow me off when I come in for my scheduled appointment and not be able to express my concerns such as road safety or performance reduction or draining of battery working harder etc. thanks again!
Tesla has a service bulletin on this issue:

Reactions: glusc2002
I don’t know what the long term effect of the faulty shafts would be as don’t really want to find that out myself! I find it helpful if you are able to record the sound or video clips the sound. My first car I had the clip and send it to them on my visit day. The 2nd X had just a softer sound though vibration was more noticeable, and I didn’t have any clip. For both they were able to reproduce on test drive and replace both in the same day. Again they know that this issue exists widely!

Reactions: glusc2002
I don’t know what the long term effect of the faulty shafts would be as don’t really want to find that out myself! I find it helpful if you are able to record the sound or video clips the sound. My first car I had the clip and send it to them on my visit day. The 2nd X had just a softer sound though vibration was more noticeable, and I didn’t have any clip. For both they were able to reproduce on test drive and replace both in the same day. Again they know that this issue exists widely!
thanks, I did record it on video with some decent footage noting the shuddering sound. I hope thats enough to get them to repair as i wasnt able to duplicate it with the mobile technician last week.

Can someone tell me if the clicking sound I recorded during acceleration in the result of the issue addressed in the service bulletin or something else??? (started at around 45k miles and seems to be getting progressively worse - now at 65k miles. I just had my rear drive unit replaced when I got the dreaded "car may not restart error" and they were supposed to look at this but they neglected to do so...so its back to the shop at the end of the week...

Can someone tell me if the clicking sound I recorded during acceleration in the result of the issue addressed in the service bulletin or something else??? (started at around 45k miles and seems to be getting progressively worse - now at 65k miles. I just had my rear drive unit replaced when I got the dreaded "car may not restart error" and they were supposed to look at this but they neglected to do so...so its back to the shop at the end of the week...

This is the acceleration shudder that occurs because the cv joints angle is beyond the design limits of that part. This has been an ongoing problem with S/X models for years. Mine were replaced 4 times. The only way I finally solved it was by lowering the car 1" and only accelerating hard at low speeds at the lowest suspension setting.

I have a 2019 MX with 25,000 miles. For the last 3000 miles I have been hearing a rapid clicking noise from the front under carriage when only apply torque acceleration forward from 45mph to 65mph where then the road noise starts to drown it out. The noise can also be heard and slightly felt through the pedal/steering wheel at 80-90mph. To activate the clicking noise, the car is generally at 40-50mph and then I let off the pedal to 40mph and accelerate back giving 30-50% aggressive torque to about 60mph. This whole period of applied torque the clicking sound will come on, until I let off again. The sound will not produce if I do a gradual light acceleration of about 10-25% applied torque. I've started to log the conditions when this occurs such as the temperature outside and if the car was cold or warmed up. I've attached a video of several occurrences in hopes you may help identify where its coming from and suggestions can be given to the SC. Thanks in advance.

Time intervals when the clicking noises occurs: 00:15, 00:24, 00:33, 00:36, 00:44, 00:52, 1:00, 1:06

tesla model x recorded clicking noise

This is not the same thing as the "acceleration shudder". It could be some other defect in the cv shafts or suspension or even drive units, but this is not the classic problem that occurs when accelerating hard between 15 and 30 mph.

2020 mx was making some noise . this is the driver side shaft 14,000 miles ..i will find out Tuesday if the front motor needs to be
IMG_1937 (8).jpg

was thinking maybe the coolant hose being hit cant tell if that's the loom from coolant hose

Reactions: jboy210

Did you find out anything about the cause of the noise? My MS is making the same noise. It has about 35k miles on it and sounds exactly like your video. It does it on hard acceleration from either a stop or slow speed. I don't feel any shudder when it makes the noise.