Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help identify these springs & shocks...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check out the thread: Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

I have them, and the improvement is considerable.

Hello Gregd

I'm already in the process of buying a complet set of those (one of the last available it sems). It's just that I don't see the relation with the fact that I had to change the suspension first.

The rear one was leaking and there is no more Bilstein available. I didn't change the shocks in order to improve performance, as I don't race , track or drive over limits. It's just that I had to do it as it's my daily driver and I need to have a reliable car. The Nitron seemed to be a good replacement, and I like the "feeling" of them on the car even if I'm not a pilot ;)

I would have preffered not to spend one cent in the suspensions and buy only the new rotor/brake set as I find the braking performance under rain really dangerous. I agree with you that the custom rotors set must be really good and hopefully I'll get mine in the near future ;)

best regards

Reactions: Nvbob and X.l.r.8
Hello Gregd

I'm already in the process of buying a complet set of those (one of the last available it sems). It's just that I don't see the relation with the fact that I had to change the suspension first.

The rear one was leaking and there is no more Bilstein available. I didn't change the shocks in order to improve performance, as I don't race , track or drive over limits. It's just that I had to do it as it's my daily driver and I need to have a reliable car. The Nitron seemed to be a good replacement, and I like the "feeling" of them on the car even if I'm not a pilot ;)

I would have preffered not to spend one cent in the suspensions and buy only the new rotor/brake set as I find the braking performance under rain really dangerous. I agree with you that the custom rotors set must be really good and hopefully I'll get mine in the near future ;)

best regards
Ok, interesting. No more Bilsteins available? Didn't know that...

I have what I believe is the original suspension on my 2.0 non-Sport, and swapped the brakes and rotors for exactly the reason you mentioned - under performance especially when wet (or having been wet and are now dry. And rusty!). So the suspension and the brakes are not dependent on each other.

But I do have some noise coming from the passenger side rear of the car, especially when cold (e.g. getting into it in the morning), and with nearly 49k miles on it, I'm thinking it's about time for new shocks. The plan was to have Tesla check it out when I get new tires this fall... If no new shocks are available, what does Tesla do for the repair?

Ok, interesting. No more Bilsteins available? Didn't know that...

I have what I believe is the original suspension on my 2.0 non-Sport, and swapped the brakes and rotors for exactly the reason you mentioned - under performance especially when wet (or having been wet and are now dry. And rusty!). So the suspension and the brakes are not dependent on each other.

But I do have some noise coming from the passenger side rear of the car, especially when cold (e.g. getting into it in the morning), and with nearly 49k miles on it, I'm thinking it's about time for new shocks. The plan was to have Tesla check it out when I get new tires this fall... If no new shocks are available, what does Tesla do for the repair?
They will try to upsell you on the adjustable OEMs from the sport model.

I would strongly recommend the Nitrons.

Although they are adjustable, mine haven't changed since "dialing them in" the first day. Love them, and they were less than what Tesla wanted for just the rear, non-sport replacement.

You could have yours rebuilt. Probably just as expensive as Nitrons, and an 8mm allen socket and a 17mm spanner you can swap a shock in less than 6 minutes, I did mine today, 6 minutes a side and while it was up in the air I put the EBC pads on. Just the tie rod end joint to swap over and I'm done untill I swap the new shocks in.

Reactions: Rolf68
I confirm, Bilstein can "rebuild" the original suspensions if you prefer.

But it means to have the car immobilized for several weeks, and that was not a great option for me. ;)
No, not an option given the alternatives. How bad are the Sport shocks? I assume if that I switch to the Nitrons, Tesla won't have anything to do with the suspension after that. They refuse to even look at my brakes, now that I have the custom ones (which were installed at a local garage that I trust).

Or, if I buy the shocks, will Tesla install them for me? The local SC actually said they will do that for tires.

No, not an option given the alternatives. How bad are the Sport shocks? I assume if that I switch to the Nitrons, Tesla won't have anything to do with the suspension after that. They refuse to even look at my brakes, now that I have the custom ones (which were installed at a local garage that I trust).

Or, if I buy the shocks, will Tesla install them for me? The local SC actually said they will do that for tires.

I once asked Tesla to install better brake pad than the one they sell, the answer was no, they just install their own references...

But well, suspension and brakes won't need any Tesla specific maintenance after all. As long as they do the annual service, clean the PEM and take care of the 100% Tesla parts of the car, it's fine for me. ;) I switch my tyres twice a year ( summer / snow ) in a local garage. The guy is happy to work on this car :D

So, I have an idea which I’m going to share, if I can get my shocks rebuilt by some of my friends, I’m hoping to have a few shelves of spares that in a pinch can be loaned out of people need breathing room, or wish to have their own parts reconditioned.