TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Help identify this outlet

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by IceAge, Jul 2, 2018.

1. IceAge

IceAge Member

A friend wants to know if there's any way to charge off of this outlet. Sorry I don't have a better picture, but it looks like a twist lock, with 2 of the 3 receptacles having a locking blade. There is an odd male pin coming off of the center. I know Tesla makes a 10-30 and 14-30 adapter for the UMC cable. If this outlet could be identified, perhaps an adapter to one of those could be found?

Thank you for any guidance you may be able to provide!

IMG_20180702_200406.jpg

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Ray305

Ray305 New Member

I think that's a 3 phase twist lock and the center pin is ground. This guide might help if you can look closer. This won't be a standard adapter. But if it's 277/480, an electrician should be able to use a hot and neutral to give you a good 277 volt source. If it's 120/208, you can wire two hots for 208 volts. But this will need more research and someone who can wire a custom plug.

[​IMG]

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

• Like x 2
  5. IceAge

IceAge Member

• Like x 1
  6. AlexanderAF

AlexanderAF Member

Not sure I’d want to put my thing in that..

• Like x 1
  7. WinjesFarm

WinjesFarm Member

45875 County Road One, Lake City, CA 96115
    Perhaps this chart will help

Attached Files:

8. eprosenx

eprosenx Member

A better picture I think is required to provide good feedback - I am not sure we have correctly positively identified this receptacle type yet. Also, can you get a picture of the breaker that feeds it?

It is likely that you could find a way to charge off of this safely with an adapter.

It is hard to tell if it is three phase with no neutral but just a ground, or if it is single phase (hot hot neutral, plus ground).

If it is 277v you can't use it with a Model 3 from what I understand. The UMC for sure is not rated for that. The HPWC's are, but they are not plug in and the Model 3 I don't think will charge from them at that high voltage.

Any idea what this receptacle was intended for?