TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Help identify this sound!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mayhem, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Mayhem

Mayhem Professional F5 Presser

2013 Model S 60 another weird sound. Please identify if you can. The sound is on when I enter the car before turning on anything, usually with a full battery in the AM. Muting the speakers has no effect. Turning the car off in the MCU settings menu gets rid of it but just as long as the car is off. Seems to be coming from the front most part of the dash. Might have to turn your speakers up for this. Goes away with driving after 0-2 min....

2. demundus

demundus Member

goes AWAY after driving? thats a little weird

3. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

Maybe it's your icon, but it does remind me of old floppy drives.

Could be a fan with bad bearings?

4. Mayhem

Honestly, it sounds like its coming from speakers, but adjusting them has no effect on volume of the noise i'm hearing.

5. docherf

docherf Member

I would try higher octane gas and see if the knocking stops.:D

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. cmaster

cmaster Member

Could be something loose in the speaker compartment inside the door?

7. Mayhem

No it's not mechanical AFAIK. It's more like 'feedback' that sounds thru the speakers in the anterior-most portion of the dash....

8. taminatorv

taminatorv Member

Sometimes, I get the same sound on my S85. It usually when I enter the car and after a drive for a little bit. I seem to hear it on colder days. To me, it sounds a floppy drive at it's loudest, a hard drive when it's quieter, or a little bit like a refrigerator defrosting. If it were a fan bearing, I would think it happens all the time.

9. Nietschy

Nietschy Member

Sounds (to me) like you get a waterpump bearing failing.
    Can not hurt to check if it is the air flaps in front of the heat exchanger in front of the car. (sometimes they move up and down upon start)

10. Brian-MS90D

Brian-MS90D Member

Have you tried disconnecting all USB devices? Probably not the issue but just an idea. I had a much quieter sound that a bad USB cable was causing static on the speakers.