Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help identify this Tesla hater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, the bigger question is is it reasonable that a car that is driving automatically in traffic automatically recognize lane splitting motor cycles and make room for them? This isn't just a Tesla issue as there are other cars that can do this now as well.
It doesn't sound like that simple of a problem to automate. Can lane splitters ride between any lanes in CA? or only certain ones? The car would need to be able to automatically move left or right to give space.

It wouldn't surprise me if the biker did target the Tesla on purpose. There are probably tons of them driven on AP in traffic that don't move over for bikes because they aren't programmed to.

afadeev and Twiglett are conveniently ignoring the fact this guy intentionally attempted to damage someone else’s property and then RUNNING away.

No property had been damaged, nor did I see anyone running.
Side mirror was moved off its original position.
Much ado about nothing!

Talk about presumption - How can you tell?
Looks like fat boy needs a lane of his own given his size.

I travel to Cali regularly, and have witnessed this behavior pattern first hand. On multiple occasions.
I think slapping peoples mirrors is a d*ck move.
I also think not leaving room for motorcycles to pass safely, when they are authorized to do so legally, is a d*ck driving style.

As I said earlier, both parties drove and acted immaturely.
The OP asking for assistance in seeking retribution, after hiding behind a new username, fall in the same category.
I would prefer to NOT share the road with any of the above.

For what it's worth, I don't ride, and I've had my side mirrors knocked off while parallel parked in NYC without having them folded. I presume it was done by the bicyclists, with similar motivations.
I am not a fan of that behavior, but do recognize the pattern when I see a line of cars with similar impacts. I presume those bicyclists are d*cks, but so were our City planners who placed bike lanes right next to the parking lanes.

So guess what I do now? Park with Sentry Mode turned on and post the video of people brushing against my car, asking for help in tracking them down !?
Hell no - life is too short to bitch and moan over minor things.
I fold my mirrors when I parallel park in the city, and don't sweat the small stuff.

The presumption that the world is out there to get the Tesla divers, and that we don't have to be courteous when sharing the road with others, is somewhere between sad and obnoxious.

Live and let live!

51j9OU1YPlL._SX410_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I travel to Cali regularly, and have witnessed this behavior pattern first hand. On multiple occasions.
I think slapping peoples mirrors is a d*ck move.
I also think not leaving room for motorcycles to pass safely, when they are authorized to do so legally, is a d*ck driving style.

As I said earlier, both parties drove and acted immaturely.
The OP asking for assistance in seeking retribution, after hiding behind a new username, fall in the same category.
I would prefer to NOT share the road with any of the above.

I'm only going to address this part since you & I are obviously looking @ the video with a different set of lenses & all your self help jargon that followed really didn't help stay on topic.

How can you accuse the driver of doing anything but stay her course?
Driver didn't ACT ie didn't swerve or impede fat boy's movements.
The car never moved.
Fat boy is all over the dividing lines as if he was drunk.

As for the other stuff. That's on you if you introduce your own alternate realities & circumstances.

--ps I lived in SoCal for 10 years. Don't hypothesize what you visitors don't live daily.

Last edited:
Fat boy is all over the dividing lines as if he was drunk.

It looks more like he's trying to lane split on a bike that's too big for the space available.

Also is it reasonable for bikers to expect cars to get right up against the median barrier to let them pass? I know most people are very reluctant to get close to them. The car in front of the Tesla is definitely in the right half of the lane.

Last edited:
Reactions: VQTRVA
afadeev and Twiglett are conveniently ignoring the fact this guy intentionally attempted to damage someone else’s property and then RUNNING away.

As someone who still (barely) rides a motorcycle, thanks to Tesla, I would like to add a few things...

As for identifying the rider, go to your local police department and LOUDLY exclaim and go on and on about how you're going to find out who thia guy is and specifically what you're going to do about it. HINT: It won't turn out well for you.

As for the members suggesting you let it go, you really have no other option. What are you thinking you'd do? And no, I don't think this qualifies as a hit and run. Disorderly conduct, maybe, but I'm not a lawyer.

Finally, let me tell you a story about "my friend."

This friend, being very safety conscious was taking a picture of a nasty pothole in the road, including the surrounding area. A motorcyclist from a side street rode by right as the flash was going off. He and his rider were more of the biker variety than the motorcycle enthusiast type but they weren't outlaw bikers. Long story short, he asked if I was taking a picture of his bike. I said no. He didn't believe me. He got aggressive. His passenger even swung her helmet onto my then closed driver's window. If it was partially open, it might have broken. Fortunately it was closed and didn't break.

Yes, the police got involved but eventually my friend realized that really nothing worth pursuing had transpired.

There are people, quite frankly, who don't give a damn about you or other people. Honestly, some of them would actually murder someone.

As one of my past driving instructors stated to our class, "Sometimes, ya just gotta let it go!"

Do that. And move on.

• Love
Reactions: calidreamz808
Lane splitting is legal in many areas. Idea is that if you see a biker coming up on you, simply give them a little more room so they can more safely get buy. Reduces your risk of getting scratched if the mis-judge by a bit.

You are not obligated to move over. A biker might feel entitled to the courtesy, but he is NOT entitled.

Biker has no right to express his anger by you not doing his bidding. Slapping a mirror is a dick move. Likewise a motorist moving over the other way to block a lane splitter is a dick move as well.

Big issue is that when a biker slapps your mirror, you are no longer able to see OTHER bikers coming up from that now blind side. Endangers the next biker that will have no idea you cannot see him coming.

Reactions: krazy88s and VQTRVA
Regardless of lane splitting being legal or not, you don't put your hands on someone elses property, especially when moving on a MC and taking one hand off the handle bar to perform the act. It was a malicious act and could have broken the mirror requiring a SC appointment that may take several months to rectify. Yet, it's not all about a Tesla, that goes for any vehicle. Lane splitting is illegal here but, they do it anyway, WHILE traffic is moving at the speed limit. Someone mentioned "Karma" earlier.