Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help identifying another strange "hollow" noise on my new 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm just hyper-sensitive to all these weird sounds and noises, but I've started noticing a faint noise within the cabin that I can best describe as a "hollow wind tunnel", kind of like the sound you'd expect if you were blowing over the top of a glass coke bottle. The sound will usually be present at speeds higher than 30, and is worsened when driving over more uneven road services. Crossing lane markings or driving over the road reflectors will emphasize the sound too. I wasn't able to capture the sound recorded on my iPhone yet - not even sure it would show up since its relatively faint compared to the actual wind and tire roar.

Any ideas? Anyone heard it before or know what it might be?

It's not the lane departure warning vibration - I'm pretty aware of when that vibration goes on/off. This sound is different - seems like it comes from the bottom of the car somewhere, and I don't know how else to describe it other than "air going through or over a hollow tube".

It's not the lane departure warning vibration - I'm pretty aware of when that vibration goes on/off. This sound is different - seems like it comes from the bottom of the car somewhere, and I don't know how else to describe it other than "air going through or over a hollow tube".
Speed when this happens is as low as 30mph? My S70D is very quiet at all speeds (I've had it transiently at up to 95mph). It's in the SC right now to correct a cosmetic factory paint defect, and I have a P85+. OMG, at 70mph while giving it throttle, this thing drones like a Porsche. This is apparently a drive unit/inverter issue that's been reported by many.

But yours is different. Could it be the rear hatch dampers?

Like... an air conditioner?

No - the sound occurs whether the a/c is on or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure it's not the sound if the rear hatch is not sitting on all 4 bumpers? This can cause a subtle vibration in the rear hatch with buffeting noise.

Maybe? I'm not sure exactly how this would happen, but maybe it'd explain why driving over lane reflectors or "rough" roads causes the sound to increase in intensity?

Maybe? I'm not sure exactly how this would happen, but maybe it'd explain why driving over lane reflectors or "rough" roads causes the sound to increase in intensity?

It absolutely would. Think about it, the rear hatch is pulsating air, because it's not secured on all 4 rubber stoppers. When you bounce the car around, more air gets pulsated (again, because the rear hatch isn't pushing on all 4).

There's a good thread here about it, the search function sucks, so I'll wait for someone else to post it. Basically slide a sheet of paper between each stopper and the hatch, close the hatch, if you can pull the paper out, you need to adjust that stopper.

I had this problem, it was a low-frequency sound wave, bugged me when I drove around, I called the SC they were clueless. Found it on TMC, and 5mins later fixed it myself.

Maybe I'm just hyper-sensitive to all these weird sounds and noises, but I've started noticing a faint noise within the cabin that I can best describe as a "hollow wind tunnel", kind of like the sound you'd expect if you were blowing over the top of a glass coke bottle. The sound will usually be present at speeds higher than 30, and is worsened when driving over more uneven road services. Crossing lane markings or driving over the road reflectors will emphasize the sound too. I wasn't able to capture the sound recorded on my iPhone yet - not even sure it would show up since its relatively faint compared to the actual wind and tire roar.

Any ideas? Anyone heard it before or know what it might be?

I'm also very interested in this thread. I have had a new 85D for 2 weeks, and experience what I think is the same thing. I don't know how to describe it, almost more of a vibratory sense than a sound. I though it was only when driving on roads with those tiny grooves to decrease hydroplaning, but I also feel it on brand new blacktop at times. I keep telling myself that it is normal, but I know it can't be and it is aggravating. It is not the lane departure warning or the regen (both of which I thought it might be). I will check out the rear hatch dampers tonight. If that fixes it, I would be extremely happy!

My car and most other recent ones I've been in have a low frequency resonance. It's not bad, but it's audible and occurs whenever the car hits bumps, etc. It's a low ringing, probably around 80-100hz. Could be suspension or wheels too. Seems like Tesla's NVH team should find this and apply a mass damper.

I just dropped my car off at the service center to a few things looked at, and told them about this sound. Service guy said that some people have mentioned it to him before, and that it may be just tire noise, and that I'm only noticing it because the car is so quiet. Who knows...he said he'd take a look at it. Will let you guys know what he says when I get the car back.

*edit*

Just noticed that the P85+ loaner that I got has the same exact sound. Maybe it is normal and I'm just being overly sensitive? It's also got that motor whine noise under acceleration I've read so much about here...glad my car doesn't have that issue (yet...).

Don't you know that dampness and electricity don't go well together? :)

Actually, they do. Many electrolytes that make capacitors and batteries work require it. Also, your body! (Your nervous system) Anionic distilled water doesn't conduct electricity.

Also, do to the vagaries of the English language a Damper does not mean Damp. Although I suppose a Damper could be damp. =)