Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help identifying dash noise, probably AC actuator?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I will be bringing my car in to an independent mechanic to diagnose a noise behind my dash, which occurs when I first get into my car and the car is still off, with nothing running (no climate control). This noise runs for about 10 seconds, then stops. Based upon my research from this forum, I think it's likely an HVAC actuator that's making the noise. However, many of the previous posts on this topic have deleted their video recordings of their original noises. So I'm hoping that someone who has experienced this type of issue could take a listen and give me your best educated guess as to which actuator might be involved.

Since I will not be taking this problem to a Tesla SC, I will be bringing all 5 HVAC actuator parts for potential replacement. It would be nice if I had a bit of a clue as to the most likely actuator that might need to get looked at, because some are easier to get to than others.

Another possible clue is that my AC doesn't seem to be blowing the air strongly enough - the air temperature coming out is cool enough, but the airflow is a bit weak.

Thanks in advance for taking a listen!

@DerbyDave Since the climate control is off when this is happening, my understanding is that one of the AC actuators still may be triggered by my getting in the car and is failing to engage its gears, thus making this noise. I'm just not sure which actuator would be acting in this way. There was a thread about a similar noise (like steady rainfall), but unfortunately no resolution was described in that thread.

Reactions: DerbyDave
@DerbyDave Since the climate control is off when this is happening, my understanding is that one of the AC actuators still may be triggered by my getting in the car and is failing to engage its gears, thus making this noise. I'm just not sure which actuator would be acting in this way. There was a thread about a similar noise (like steady rainfall), but unfortunately no resolution was described in that thread.
Wally, did you ever get this figured out?

I may have similar symptoms in my M.3.
Listen below in YT video to see if that is the same noise you are hearing too when 1st getting in the car g HVAC not yet activated.

Thread '2019 Tesla Model 3 Behind Driver Dash Pumping Noise?' 2019 Tesla Model 3 Behind Driver Dash Pumping Noise?

Wally, did you ever get this figured out?

I may have similar symptoms in my M.3.
Listen below in YT video to see if that is the same noise you are hearing too when 1st getting in the car g HVAC not yet activated.

Thread '2019 Tesla Model 3 Behind Driver Dash Pumping Noise?' 2019 Tesla Model 3 Behind Driver Dash Pumping Noise?
I listened to your video - while it doesn't sound exactly like my car used to sound, the circumstances sound similar.

Turns out my problem was an A/C actuator, but I never found out which exact one caused my noise.

Since the actuators are inexpensive little parts, I ended up asking Electrical Garage to replace all of the actuators instead of spending the time to isolate the faulty one(s). I ordered the 5 actuators myself from eBay and Rock Auto, and only 1 of them did not fit (the Inlet actuator) because my car might have ended up with a different part number than what's shown in the online parts manual. After EG replaced the other 4, the noise went away.

Reactions: VQTRVA
I listened to your video - while it doesn't sound exactly like my car used to sound, the circumstances sound similar.

Turns out my problem was an A/C actuator, but I never found out which exact one caused my noise.

Since the actuators are inexpensive little parts, I ended up asking Electrical Garage to replace all of the actuators instead of spending the time to isolate the faulty one(s). I ordered the 5 actuators myself from eBay and Rock Auto, and only 1 of them did not fit (the Inlet actuator) because my car might have ended up with a different part number than what's shown in the online parts manual. After EG replaced the other 4, the noise went away.

Well, following your lead & having a professional take a look at it.

Odd thing is that my dishwasher is also making a priming pumping noise before it actually brings in any water to do the actual wash cycle.
So this feels similar - priming for the eventual AC usage.

Thanks for the feedback!

You said they are inexpensive little parts, do,you recall how much they were and how much Elecrical Garaged charged to replace them?

You said they are inexpensive little parts, do,you recall how much they were and how much Elecrical Garaged charged to replace them?
They're about $30 each. I can't say exactly how much EG would have charged me to replace them all, because I originally asked them just to diagnose the issue, and then decided after I arrived at the appointment to ask them just to change them all. They did the replacements without charging me beyond the diagnostic fee, but that may have been because I was already paying for a bunch of other services.

Well, following your lead & having a professional take a look at it.

Odd thing is that my dishwasher is also making a priming pumping noise before it actually brings in any water to do the actual wash cycle.
So this feels similar - priming for the eventual AC usage.

Thanks for the feedback!

Turned out it was the faulty air vent assembly & got it replaced on warranty from Tesla.
IP, AIR VENT, ASY,
DRIVER(1083320-00-F)