Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help identifying speaker sound issue (distortion/blowout/software?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. I need some help identifying this sound that my speakers are producing. I can't figure out if it's distortion, a blown speaker, the speakers reaching their limit, poor quality encoding, car firmware glitch, or maybe even a physical rattle/buzz. I've attached two videos that capture it from (1) the immersive front speaker and (2) a rear door speaker. (apologies for the shaky dark videos; I was focused on the audio being captured)

I haven't noticed this with most songs, but it's easily reproducible with most songs that include a piano (for whatever reason). The song in the videos is some random song from a spotify piano playlist, but the issue also occurs for example, during the opening section of the song "Bloodstream" by Stateless. Here are the settings I'm using:

Vehicle audio type: Premium audio
Volume: 80%
Immersive sound: High
Equalizer: flat
Sound balance: centered
Sound source: Spotify (built-in), Spotify via bluetooth

Thanks for any help!

Front immersive speaker
Rear door speaker

The first clip - I hear something briefly that sounds like a rattle somewhere in the car, it could be a lot of things. The second clip, i don't hear anything unusual. It just sounds like a very darkly recorded piano with a ton of reverb on it, and perhaps some low midrange compression artifacts, which is pretty common with streaming audio. Try getting a flac version of this same song, and playing it through usb, see if it still does it, whatever it is.

The first clip - I hear something briefly that sounds like a rattle somewhere in the car, it could be a lot of things. The second clip, i don't hear anything unusual. It just sounds like a very darkly recorded piano with a ton of reverb on it, and perhaps some low midrange compression artifacts, which is pretty common with streaming audio. Try getting a flac version of this same song, and playing it through usb, see if it still does it, whatever it is.
Every piano note in both videos has a buzzing/humming sound. That's not an artifact of the phone recording. You're not able to hear that? I can try another example, it's obvious in person (sounds horrible). It doesn't occur in every speaker, either, which makes me think it's maybe not an issue with the source. Thanks for taking a look.

edit: I just noticed there's a minimum volume for the videos under which you won't be able to hear the noise (at least on my phone and laptop). Any chance you can bump it up a bit and try again?

Last edited:
i didnt listen to the videos but i have the same issue, also with piano specifically. the speaker directly to the left of my head or whatever i perceive is coming from there (b pillar speaker?) distorts also on certain "notes", its not in all types of music and only after about 60-70% volume. i think its software related, i feel like its here and there depending on software updates

i didnt listen to the videos but i have the same issue, also with piano specifically. the speaker directly to the left of my head or whatever i perceive is coming from there (b pillar speaker?) distorts also on certain "notes", its not in all types of music and only after about 60-70% volume. i think its software related, i feel like its here and there depending on software updates
Sounds like exactly my problem. You should adjust the audio balance to full rear right (then left) and see if you hear the same from the rear door speakers. My right rear is as bad or worse than the front pillar immersive speaker you mentioned.

I scheduled service. I’ll post back if they’re able to resolve it. I listen to music at a pretty high volume, so it ruins the song when it occurs. Like you said it’s mostly piano (which I just recently noticed). I’ve heard it on other types of music in the past but dismissed them as one-offs since I hadn’t noticed the pattern yet.

Ah, listened again, volume up, it's pretty obvious now (didn't want to wake up the wife last night). Yes, that's a rattling speaker, or something along those lines. I noticed you mentioned having immersive turned up - does it still do it with immersive turned off? I would guess that it does, it's still there in the back speaker example. Yes, definitely a candidate for a service appointment. And, the other thing to do is go through the car, see if there's anything in the pockets or whatever that might be doing this. I carry a bunch of odd things in the driver door pocket that sometimes get rattley if they're not arranged just so. But that's a pretty specific noise that's easy to locate.

Sounds like exactly my problem. You should adjust the audio balance to full rear right (then left) and see if you hear the same from the rear door speakers. My right rear is as bad or worse than the front pillar immersive speaker you mentioned.

I scheduled service. I’ll post back if they’re able to resolve it. I listen to music at a pretty high volume, so it ruins the song when it occurs. Like you said it’s mostly piano (which I just recently noticed). I’ve heard it on other types of music in the past but dismissed them as one-offs since I hadn’t noticed the pattern yet.
Did they resolve this issue with you with a scheduled service? I just got my model Y 3 months ago and noticed it right away. I thought it was loose speakers installed but it gets worst with immersive sound all the way so this definitely seems software related. It not only happens with pianos, but any sound the has above-band mids, such as voices and ambient noises, so podcasts sound like trash. This is extremely upsetting and unacceptable. Please let me know if they were able to fix this so I could know if this is something I will have to live with for the next 4 1/2 years. Thanks.

Just to update. 2021 S. Exact same problem with piano with immersive sound up all the way.

It’s got to be something with the immersive sound processing. It goes away when it’s off. Seems to be common, not an individual issue.