TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Help in testing Clipper Creek install in Pawley's Island SC area week of 4 Jan 2016

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Only Trons, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

I will be installing a Clipper Creek HCS-60 station at my beach rental house in Litchfield Beach, SC (near Pawleys Island) for use by rental tenants. My plan is to do the installation the week of January 4, 2016. In addition to the charging unit, I have also purchased the test unit. While the test unit should provide a go/no-go indicator, I would like to also test it with an actual car.

The installation also includes upgrade to the electric service from the utility company to the house, so while my plan is to complete this work the week of 4 Jan, there could always be a hiccup with the utility company.

Looking for a Tesla owner in the nearby area that would be available to stop by and connect their car to my charging station as a final test. Please feel free to PM me with contact info -- so that I can provide updated schedule information.

Thanks in advance.

2. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Do you mind sharing your decision tree on the choice of this type of charger vs a NEMA 14-50, etc.?

3. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

Certainly.

As I understand it, not all EVs can utilize a NEMA 14-50 plug. But all EVs that I am aware of can utilize a J1772 plug. Ergo, I decided to install a charger with the J1772 plug. My goal was to provide "destination charging" capability for any EV owner as an incentive to rent our beach house. There is a paucity of charging options in the Pawley's Island area, and so I hope this capability will make our beach rental home stand out from others that don't offer such a benefit.

I am trying to decide how to market this capability. Our rental listing with the rental agency notes that we have EV charging available. But unless someone knows to search for that specifically, it doesn't really stand out. I am thinking about a listing on Plug Share, but I can't make the charger available to casual passers-by because it would take up parking space that is meant for our guests and would be an inconvenience to those guests. So the charger will be in a locked cabinet which will be accessible at no additional cost to our guests that bring an EV.

From everything I've read (here on TMC and other sources), the Clipper Creek hardware was the best. So the only decision left at that point was selection of the specific Clipper Creek unit. The HCS-60 provides good capability --- and at 48 amps continuous output, it offers Tesla owners with dual chargers somewhere on the order of 33 miles per hour of charge.

I am upgrading the electric service to the house to ensure there are no issues with the use of the charger. With the entire 6 bedroom two-level house being electric (two heat pumps, two water heaters, electric cooktop, two refrigerators, two microwaves, one clothes dryer, plus the lighting load associated with a house of this size), I was concerned that the existing 200 amp service might be an issue. The probability of there being an issue is probably slim; but I didn't want to take the chance that I'd get a call from my rental agent telling me that the lights were out and I had angry tenants. The cost to upgrade the service was reasonable IMO.