Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! Installing a Tesla HPWC 40 amp version (NEMA 14-50)

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
Correct, it did not have a NEMA 14-50 chord on it. It was just like the normal HPWC that you have to hard wire. I almost kept it but I didn't want to have to pay an electrician to run thicker (probably 2 gauge wire) wires and also buy a 100amp breaker when I already had 8 gauge wire ran inside the walls with a 50AMP breaker. I also charge at night so there was no reason for me to need the 80AMP version since I'm asleep when its charging anyway. I just like the way the HPWC mounts versus the one that comes with the Model 3.

When I contacted them, they apologized. They said they were all shipped together and from the outside of the box, you can't tell the difference. I bet they were shipped to them on accident. The small label on the box clearly states its 40AMP on it and the other one I got stated it was 80AMP so there was a clear difference in the small label. Someone at the factory probably screwed up.

Ah, just for reference, all HPWCs can do 80A (including the one you have now), the rotary switch sets the actual draw (40A in your case). Basically they take the stock version set switch 1 down, rotary to 8, and wire in a 14-50 plug. Guessing they forgot the switch change when they did the value add work.

• Informative
Reactions: Amit519

ghoticov

Jan 30, 2018
Clovis, CA
Ah, just for reference, all HPWCs can do 80A (including the one you have now), the rotary switch sets the actual draw (40A in your case). Basically they take the stock version set switch 1 down, rotary to 8, and wire in a 14-50 plug. Guessing they forgot the switch change when they did the value add work.

ahhh, ok. That's very informative!

So one day, if I every chose to, I could hard wire it and run it at 80AMPs (if I changed my wires and breaker)??? That's pretty cool.

I am wondering if Tesla let these slip out on accident because I do not see where they offer them for sell anywhere. In the video you posted, I believe that is where I asked for the link on where I could get one and someone responded and that's where I bought mine... they just shipped me the hard wired version instead of the NEMA 14-50 one.

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
i dont think the wire gauge is capable of 80amps in that one, i think the cord is smaller than the actual 80amp versions sold now.
That could be, I figured the PCB related guts stayed consistent, but the car cable could be down sized. Would then need different SW to disable the higher current settings.

Reactions: ghoticov

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan

So one day, if I every chose to, I could hard wire it and run it at 80AMPs (if I changed my wires and breaker)??? That's pretty cool.

I am wondering if Tesla let these slip out on accident because I do not see where they offer them for sell anywhere. In the video you posted, I believe that is where I asked for the link on where I could get one and someone responded and that's where I bought mine... they just shipped me the hard wired version instead of the NEMA 14-50 one.

Can't take credit for the video, that was @MorrisonHiker . It's a handy solution (when configured correctly) for people with 14-50 outlets since there is no wiring required. Also covers the speed gap due to the new mobile connectors being set to 32A.

ghoticov

Jan 30, 2018
Clovis, CA
Can't take credit for the video, that was @MorrisonHiker . It's a handy solution (when configured correctly) for people with 14-50 outlets since there is no wiring required. Also covers the speed gap due to the new mobile connectors being set to 32A.

No doubt, its a great option. Also great if you think you may move and want to take the HPWC with you. :)

ghoticov

Jan 30, 2018
Clovis, CA

What are your thoughts on all these wires just sticking out? Does that look ok or right? It just looks funky to me. lol

HPWC 1.jpg

wwu123

Apr 11, 2017
Silicon Valley, CA

Does the NEMA 14-50 corded one's manual say anything about whether it still has communicating features to load-share with a 2nd unit? That's my biggest concern, rather than 80A charging, is that I wouldn't be able to daisy-chain it with another HPWC unit in the future to support two chargers on one circuit. Otherwise the price is compelling...

MorrisonHiker

S 100D 2021.4.18.2
Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
Does the NEMA 14-50 corded one's manual say anything about whether it still has communicating features to load-share with a 2nd unit? That's my biggest concern, rather than 80A charging, is that I wouldn't be able to daisy-chain it with another HPWC unit in the future to support two chargers on one circuit. Otherwise the price is compelling...
It does not.

Reactions: ghoticov

GDNTX

Apr 6, 2016
Dallas, TX (Far North)
If it all turns out fully legit, looks like a better option than buying a second portable charger (like comes with the M3), if you plan on leaving it plugged in that is like a permanent install. It's got the cool Tesla look, works perfect with the 14-50 and the cord is 4 ft. longer. Shipping is a bit rough. Turns out to be 370 with shipping vs Tesla portable at $300 plus tax and shipping. I like it.

MorrisonHiker

S 100D 2021.4.18.2
Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
If it all turns out fully legit, looks like a better option than buying a second portable charger (like comes with the M3), if you plan on leaving it plugged in that is like a permanent install. It's got the cool Tesla look, works perfect with the 14-50 and the cord is 4 ft. longer. Shipping is a bit rough. Turns out to be 370 with shipping vs Tesla portable at $300 plus tax and shipping. I like it.
I wouldn't be surprised if it replaces the corded mobile connector which still sells for $520 (and which probably isn't as robust).

Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector

• Informative
Reactions: GDNTX

MorrisonHiker

S 100D 2021.4.18.2
Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
You are refering to the manual, yah?
@wwu123
It looks like the connector for the communication interface is still there. So, assuming it is a value add 80A unit, it could be interfaced with another corded or hardwired unit.
It's possible the unit might still support it but there is no mention of it in the manual.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC