Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help. Issues galore and service wont help.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2016 x from a dealer 4 weeks ago and am having so many problems. Tesla wont help me as they haven't transferred it to my name yet...despite my explaining the urgency. First and foremost, the car completely turns off when I leave it. Coming back to it with the key does not turn the screens on. It literally just stops working every time I exit it. Once I'm able to pry a door open, I can do a reboot and then it works. Also, my falcon doors dont open. It keeps telling me to calibrate them and I do. They only open 1 inch when calibrated. I've reset them manually pulling the thing up all the way and then pushing it down all the way but that is only a temporary fix. I need help. I'm beyond frustrated. Please help

Reactions: P85_DA
You are still in the warranty period and depending on the state you live in lemon laws also apply to used vehicles.... in Texas the original manufacturer is still liable.

Most preowned vehicles are not covered by the lemon law with the exception to this rule is if the preowned vehicle is still covered under the car manufacturer's existing warranty (and not the extended warranty), then the Texas Lemon Law “may” be used to force the manufacturer to repair the problem. You should have dropped it back at the dealer once you discovered the problems. Does it have a lemon law buy back title? If it does you may be hosed...

Are used or preowned lemon cars covered under the Texas Lemon Law?

Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Your Model S or Model X is protected by a 4 year or 50,000 miles (80,000 km) (whichever comes first) New Vehicle Limited Warranty and 8 year or unlimited miles Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty. These warranties cover the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use during the coverage period.

local Tesla Service Center and may not be available for sale in certain areas. See your Tesla account for availability.

Frequently Asked Questions
What is the New Vehicle Limited Warranty?
Your Model S and X are covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which includes the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Supplemental Restraint System (“SRS”) Limited Warranty, and the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty.

The Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any Model S or X parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first.

The SRS Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of the vehicle's seat belts or airbag system manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 5 years or 60,000 miles (100,000 km), whichever comes first.

The Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective Model S or X lithium-ion battery for a period of 8 years or unlimited miles/km, with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles (200,000 km), whichever comes first. To provide you with even more assurance, the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty will also cover damage to your vehicle from a battery fire even if it is the result of driver error, subject to certain exclusions.

What is the Tesla Extended Service Agreement?
Extended Service Agreements cover the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of most parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla during the coverage period, excluding the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery and drive unit, which have their own separate warranty. Coverage is based upon the purchased agreement option and takes effect on the date that your original New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires.

Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement.

What is the eligible purchase period for Tesla Extended Service Agreements, and what do they cover?
You may purchase the Extended Service Agreement no later than 30 days or 1,000 miles (1,600 km), whichever comes first, past the expiration of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The Extended Service Agreement covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of most parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla during the coverage period, excluding the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery and drive unit, which have their own separate warranty.

If I choose not to service my Tesla vehicle, will this void my warranty?
It is highly recommended that you service your Model S or Model X every 12 months or 12,500 miles (20,000 km), whichever comes first. If you do not follow this recommendation, your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected. During the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if recommended service is not performed. See the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for further details.

During my Model S or Model X appointment, how will I get around if I need my vehicle?
We want your Tesla Service experience to be convenient and hassle-free. If you are within 15 miles (24 km) of the closest Service Center, a complimentary Valet can be sent out to retrieve your vehicle from your home or office and return it for you when the service is complete, if available. If service on your vehicle will take longer than 3 hours, a service loaner will be provided for you, if available. If a service loaner is unavailable, a rental car can be arranged.

Do I have to take my vehicle to a Tesla Service Center?
We recommend bringing your vehicle into a Tesla Service Center for any service needs. If you choose to bring your vehicle to a non-Tesla shop for any maintenance or repairs, please be aware that if problems occur, this could affect coverage under your warranty.

Why am I unable to purchase an Extended Service Agreement in my state?
In some states Tesla has not been granted approval by the state to sell our Extended Service Agreement. This is because each state has its own requirements, such as specific licenses or business qualifications, which we are working to acquire.

Does the New Vehicle Limited Warranty transfer to the new owner if I sell my Model S or X?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will follow your vehicle and be transferred to the new owner when a vehicle ownership transfer is performed through Tesla.

Can I transfer my Extended Service Agreement to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?
Yes, you can transfer the unused portion of your Extended Service Agreement with the sale of your vehicle. The agreement will transfer to the new owner when the vehicle ownership transfer is processed through Tesla. Please refer to the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for more information.

Can Extended Service Agreements be added to the cost of the vehicle when financing Model S or X?
Extended Service Agreements cannot be added to the total cost of your Model S or X, whether you are financing or not. These plans can only be purchased separately.

Can I cancel my Extended Service Agreement? Can I upgrade or downgrade my Tesla Extended Service Agreement?
Yes, you can request to cancel your Extended Service Agreement at any time and receive a prorated refund, based on your claims history. Please refer to the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for more information. You cannot downgrade or upgrade your Extended Service Agreement once you have purchased.

• Helpful
Can you post the VIN? I think there is a VIN search site that lets you check the title branding...

Check VIN | Decoder | VIN | autoDNA

VINCheck® | National Insurance Crime Bureau

An additional source for vehicle history data can be found on the National Motor Vehicle Titling Information System (NMVTIS) website.

MNVTIS%20logo.jpg

Is it a bad or dead key fob? Can you find/contact previous registered owner to see if they can help you? Any hint of previous owner left in computer on Tesla like home location? Previous owner could help you a lot if they are inclined to do so. One example is they could take it in for service with you.

that sucks. how long does it take tesla to transfer it into his/her name? seems like something that could be done immediately at the service center and then the issues to be addressed.

that would be too easy though?

that sucks. how long does it take tesla to transfer it into his/her name? seems like something that could be done immediately at the service center and then the issues to be addressed.

that would be too easy though?

I sold my 2013 MS85 in 2017 to a private party. Tesla took over a year to change the ownership in their system. Both the buyer and I went to the SC, emailed , and called Tesla several times.

Seems like it. I am intrigued by the OP talking about calibrating the FWD and whatnots. As an active member and X owner since mid-2016, possibly reading every single thread in this forum, I have yet to know how to calibrate the FWDs or have read much about this from other members.

I have yet to know how to calibrate the FWDs or have read much about this from other members.

It’s a super secret menu item ..,the car will actually show a button on the screen when the FWDs lose calibration ...than u just hit the “calibrate” icon the X will do its thing from there ...seen it once only

It’s a super secret menu item ..,the car will actually show a button on the screen when the FWDs lose calibration ...than u just hit the “calibrate” icon the X will do its thing from there ...seen it once only

It is relatively simple. Stick a plastic spoon or pen into the FWD latch when its fully open so that the latch "holds" the pen like we would. Once you do that, the calibrate button will come up on the screen and you can follow instructions from there. Be sure to have ample distance between your car and obstacles above the car and to the side. I used it whenever the car comes back from the SC, it always comes back misaligned but the calibration does the trick.

• Helpful
It is relatively simple. Stick a plastic spoon or pen into the FWD latch when its fully open so that the latch "holds" the pen like we would. Once you do that, the calibrate button will come up on the screen and you can follow instructions from there. Be sure to have ample distance between your car and obstacles above the car and to the side. I used it whenever the car comes back from the SC, it always comes back misaligned but the calibration does the trick.

Lol thanks for the secret key to open this up now I need to try ;)

Does it have to be a spoon? Or will a spork work?
In all seriousness...

I purchased a 2016 x from a dealer 4 weeks ago and am having so many problems. Tesla wont help me as they haven't transferred it to my name yet...despite my explaining the urgency. First and foremost, the car completely turns off when I leave it. Coming back to it with the key does not turn the screens on. It literally just stops working every time I exit it. Once I'm able to pry a door open, I can do a reboot and then it works. Also, my falcon doors dont open. It keeps telling me to calibrate them and I do. They only open 1 inch when calibrated. I've reset them manually pulling the thing up all the way and then pushing it down all the way but that is only a temporary fix. I need help. I'm beyond frustrated. Please help

1. Check to see if energy savings mode is enabled or disabled. The car goes into a sleep if it’s enabled and requires time to boot. It does not fully sleep if disabled.

2. Check your 12V battery. Sounds like it may have lost capacity, which would not affect primary systems but affect auxiliary systems. This would also be charged while driving, which may hide symptoms. This is probably the first thing I’d change out.

3. Don’t touch the FWD until you can get to Tesla. You may have failed sensors. I’ve had mine replaced as well. Original symptom was recalibration followed by permanent failure. Just as you’re describing. If you keep messing with it, you may cause more damage to other parts.

4. If you have your registration or other proof of ownership take it into the SC and request escalation. They won’t move it from the old profile unless requested from the original owner or you provide proof of ownership. The dealer you bought it from may not have the decency to contact Tesla for you, or may not even have it from the original owner if it was a trade. Take it upon yourself to get it done quicker.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the advice, everyone. it turned out to be a bad 12v battery, faulty cpt and inability to download new firmware. I received the car back Wednesday and it's already back at the service center. no a/c, battery overheating and grinding noise. not good

• Informative