Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! J1772 Adapter stuck in Charge poirt locked in, Red Ring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way the PDF suggests is not what I do, and seems like a harder way of doing it.

I do this:
1) Unlock the car
2) Press j1772 button to stop charging and release the lock
3) Release j1772 button to have the handle attached to the j1772-tesla adapter
4) pull j1772. Adapter will come out with it.
5) Press and hold j1772 button
6) Release the adapter from the j1772.

The only problem is your #3. That would cause the pilot signal to reengage and the car would lock the adapter again.

Push the button on the j-plug, which unlocks the adapter from the car (as long as the car is unlocked)
Use second had to grab the adapter and pull both away from the car at the same time.
Remove adapter from j-plug

The only problem is your #3. That would cause the pilot signal to reengage and the car would lock the adapter again.

Push the button on the j-plug, which unlocks the adapter from the car (as long as the car is unlocked)
Use second had to grab the adapter and pull both away from the car at the same time.
Remove adapter from j-plug

It takes at least a few seconds for the car to re-lock the charging port. I do that almost every day, so it clearly works. The two handed pull maneuver seems just a bit clumsy to me.

I've also had many problems removing the J1772, even weeks after taking ownership of my P85D.

Every morning I approach the car, wait for it to unlock, then disconnect the J1772 charger from the adapter, then try to pull the adapter out of the car. 80% of the time it remains locked in the charging port. Then I try holding down the trunk fob button. Half the time this does the trick. Otherwise I have to lock and unlock the car and open and half-close the charge port cover repeatedly until the damn thing lets go of the adapter.

Has anyone found a reliable way to remove the adapter?

Just to confirm, I have had similar juggle with the European equivalent of J1772 (commonly called Type 2 here), where the cable is standard and doesn't have a Tesla button. I think 6.1 has made things a bit easier, but still the lock/unlock car plus open charge port via screen or keyfob routine is sometimes required. Sometimes the cable unlocks with the car or at disconnecting the other end of the cable, at other times not. The UMC charge port opener is also quite unreliable, have to hover over the top of the rear window to get it to work, but at least it doesn't lock in as often and as easily as the Type 2 seems to.

Sometimes, on Type 2, it has helped to push in the cable a bit to help release the lock-in. I understand EU cars have a different connector, so this tip may not do anything in U.S./Asian Teslas.

It takes at least a few seconds for the car to re-lock the charging port. I do that almost every day, so it clearly works. The two handed pull maneuver seems just a bit clumsy to me.

FTR, if the charging session is finished you can simply unlock the chargeport and pull the J1772 and adapter still attached (i.e. one-handed).

The intention is to prevent the adapter from sliding off and hitting the car on the way down as you remove the J1772. One J1772 I use frequently has a relatively loose fit in the adapter, and when you press the button the adapter releases from the connector. When I press the button the adapter pushes out slightly, so releasing the button doesn't re-lock it into place. So if I pulled the whole assembly out with one hand, the adapter would easily fall off and potentially damage the vehicle/adapter. That's what they're trying to prevent by suggesting two hands.

If you're confident the J1772 adapter fits the charging cable tightly, one hand seems reasonable.

The intention is to prevent the adapter from sliding off and hitting the car on the way down as you remove the J1772. One J1772 I use frequently has a relatively loose fit in the adapter, and when you press the button the adapter releases from the connector.

For clarity, what I should have said was that if the charging session is finished you can simply unlock the chargeport and remove the J1772 without pushing the J1772 button at all, that way it takes the adapter with it.

I have only charged once on a J1772 so I don't have much experience with it, however, it seems as though the best bet is to stop the charging session first (either via the touchscreen, app or charger-itself) and then disconnect the plug. Trying to disconnect while charging just seems like a bad idea and I don't trust that pushing the button on the J1772 plug will stop the charging.

When charging with a J1772, I prefer to use the center console to stop the charging so I can verify that 0 amps are being put into the car.
That said, there are many ways to stop the car from charging, and I'm sure the other ways mentioned here work as well.