Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help justify my P85D dreams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my 70D 2 weeks ago. During the test drive a few months ago, I drove a more powerful car and drove it HARD and was very happy with Tesla's performance. I also drove the 70D and although I felt it was still very good, but it wasn't really that quick. I feared somewhat that the 70D may not be enough. However after just 2 weeks, I think those fears are unwarranted... The fact is that this is a commuting car... and in that context, even a 70D can out accelerate, easily pass, basically any car on the street at legal speeds...

Spirited driving is possible at times, but it's kind of hard on public streets with cars around you.

Also it's kind of impossible to experience the winding mountain road because most of those are too far away (at least where I live) and don't have charging available to be reachable (by which I mean getting back after your drive)...

I feel 70D has the perfect performance level to be a very good everyday car. Its only weakness is that acceleration becomes quiet weak above 70mph, which I think would be solved by going for the 85D. The fact is... you will rarely ever launch your P85D on insane... because you can't really do it on the road at almost all times and you ll be over the speed limit in no time... so why not save 20k and get the 85D instead?

I remember watching a Porsche review, and the reviewer mentioned sports chrono package which includes Porsche launch. He said that he had driven the car for a few months and the only times he had ever used it were during the review and maybe one time afterwards... cause really, you can't really just launch cars like that on regular roads...

I also thought I might regret it if I didn't just stretch for the P85D. Now that I've enjoyed it for 6 months and 11k miles, I'm absolutely positive I would have regretted it. I have so much fun with it. The 70D and 85D and all the models are amazing cars, but for me, I love the supercar acceleration of the P85D. With all the firmware updates, it's efficiency is astonishingly better than when I received the car in late December 2014. So when I want to take a long road trip with the family, I've got the range I need; just this weekend I saw my 30 mi avg drop to about 240 WH/mi when I was cruising. But most of the time I'm having fun and it's closer to 400+ WH/mi!

You'll be happy with any of the models but I'd definitely do the P85D again!

thanks for that, somehow this thread turned into a "buy the 85D" overnight. i was looking for P85D owners reasons for shelling out more money for the power only increase. P85+ v 85 debate had more substance since there were other changes added to the P car like wheels suspension and... power. today, the P85D is power only. i am a child, and i love going to the race track. i would use insane mode... every morning getting on the freeway. like others have said it seems my mind is already made up, im looking for like minded idiots to explain why they chose the p85d.

thanks for that, somehow this thread turned into a "buy the 85D" overnight. i was looking for P85D owners reasons for shelling out more money for the power only increase. P85+ v 85 debate had more substance since there were other changes added to the P car like wheels suspension and... power. today, the P85D is power only. i am a child, and i love going to the race track. i would use insane mode... every morning getting on the freeway. like others have said it seems my mind is already made up, im looking for like minded idiots to explain why they chose the p85d.

Then I think in your scenario you would enjoy the P85D! I hang out with a bunch of car buds that hit the track... I plan to real soon. This car was made for us.

I test drove the P85D thinking I was going to "go big or go home", but I came away convinced that I did not need the P. I wound up ordering the 85D and it is absolutely awesome. I was afraid I would have regrets not getting the P85D and I have had none. I realized that the insane mode would be just a party trick for me, otherwise useless for everyday driving. The 85D's acceleration is incredible. Every single person I've taken on a test drive is blown away by it, and when I'm merging onto the interstate I will accelerate aggressively. However, most times I don't even floor it because I don't have the room or don't want to be going 100 mph. The insane mode would be used VERY seldom for me personally. So I saved almost the equivalent of a year and a half of payments for a slightly "slower" car.

Not to mention, I had a hard enough time justifying paying $106k for a car...much less $130k!

To each his own, only you can make that decision. Good luck, you'll absolutely love whatever choice you make!

- - - Updated - - -

YOLO = You Only Live Once

"show me the Insane Mode".... "Well uhhh... I decided against that model, this one does not have it..." Eyes roll.

nuff said.

Fair enough, but I've been asked that question exactly zero times in the 15-20 test drives I've given. And each one is blown away by the 85D's acceleration.

If money was no object, of course I'd get the P85D, without question. However, to everything (for me) there is a cost-benefit analysis.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh sorry, I just contributed to the "Buy the 85D" argument. I misinterpreted your original post, my apologies. If you've already made up your mind, then great. Welcome to the family!

That is awesome but true. My normal ride is as quick as the P85D - I need the P85D. My GF thinks her 328i is fast - the 70D is perfect. It is all relative.

Ok then... you do not need two high G force cars... for sure.... that would be the Department of Redundancy Department....

And JMG.... if you ever... I mean ever.... mentioned to a friend that "Ok I opted to not get the P85D ... it did not meet my cost benefit analysis.... "

well because they are your friends, they probably would be very sympathetic and understanding....

however, I would have a strong suspicion, their eyes would still roll. :cool:

Last edited:
I picked up my P85D today. The delivery was a nightmare and I was annoyed as all hell, but within 1 minute of driving all was good. I'm glad I picked what I wanted instead of what others told me I should get or what was "practical". I live 2.47mi from my office so walking is more practical :)

Yeap, if you are buying the car to impress others, then get a P85D If you are buying a car to impress yourself, get a 85D.

I'd skip trying to impress anyone and just get what you think will bring you the most happiness.

Manis, your story and recommendation was awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks.

I was joking with a couple friends at work that know I lived out of a car once. I said that the P85D is the best purchase ever because if I lose my job and can't afford rent I can live out of my car. Hatchback with fold down seats is perfect for a mattress and between superchargers and people's outdoor outlets I could get around. Plus when I get caught I can get away fast :) Best purchase ever!

My car impresses everyone that rides in it - but the driver most of all. Everyday.

I didn't test the 85D so I can't comment. But if I did I'm afraid I would always be asking myself - "Should I have spent the extra money and gotten the P85D?" It's just a personal thing.

P85D = MANY more Smiles Per Gallon :smile: with the much quicker acceleration and crisper handling from the Performance package.

Oh and P85D higher resale justifies the initial Performance premium.

2015 inventory P85D / Pearl White Multi-Coat / Pano / 21" Silver Turbine Wheels / Tan Next Gen Seats front AND rear / Premium Interior Package / Obeche Gloss / Alcantra Headliner / SAS / SubZ / Brakes / CF Spoiler / Dual Chargers / Ultra High Fidelity Sound

P85D = MANY more Smiles Per Gallon :smile: with the much quicker acceleration and crisper handling from the Performance package.

Oh and P85D higher resale justifies the initial Performance premium.

2015 inventory P85D / Pearl White Multi-Coat / Pano / 21" Silver Turbine Wheels / Tan Next Gen Seats front AND rear / Premium Interior Package / Obeche Gloss / Alcantra Headliner / SAS / SubZ / Brakes / CF Spoiler / Dual Chargers / Ultra High Fidelity Sound

No longer crisper handling in P85D's -- just paying for faster acceleration. Suspensions are the same P vs non-P

or debadge the car, impress yourself will looking like a lowly S60.

Exactly what I did!

So I think everyone has touched on the various reasons for themselves, and mine are about the same. You only live once. I really don't splurge on myself; my dad turned me in to a saver (Not a bad thing.) But I also realized (After watching my 35 year old brother-in-law die from cancer), you really only live once. How often do we hear of someone working their ass off their entire life, retiring, and having a heart attack a year later.

IF you can afford it, splurge a little here and there. A $20k splurge is certainly significant, but, I knew I was buying a Tesla no matter what. I LOVE speed. Used to race my car at Pocono Raceway. I don't "need" high speed, but I LOVE pulling away easily from a traffic light. I knew I would have regretted not buying the P; living in the mid-Atlantic, the D was a requirement for me.

I don't regret it one bit. I could afford it, my rainy day fund is paid up, so what the hell, right?

Another way I looked at it. . . I find it funny when I talk to someone about a car and they say something like they didn't want to spend MORE money for the better audio system, even though they wanted it (Fill in the option here.) I respect that, but if it's all about money, take that $1000 option and add it in to the five year note. It's a difference of $18/mo (At 2.25%.) I think you can afford $18, even if it means you skip a few Starbucks or one dinner out a month. Instead you're telling people how you didn't want to spend another grand for xyz option.

So I looked at it the same way. Now a $20k option is very significant, so. . . Regardless, I was fine paying it. Hell, I even bought the winter package which I doubt I'll really ever use. Cost me like $7/mo. Figured if/when I sell the car, someone is going to "want" that option and pass on my car.