Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Justifying my purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum but have been following Tesla since the roadster. I'm looking to order a Model S 75D later this year (About September for hopefully November delivery) but I'm trying to justify the purchase. This will be the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased. When I was much younger and did not value money as I do now I purchased Audis and BMWs for usually around 30-40K (Certified). I drive about 600 miles a week for work and put alot of miles on my car. I currently drive a 2010 Acura TL AWD (really like the car) and was going to purchase the Model S when the car is paid off (Approaching 95K miles and owe 14K.

My thought process was that I trade in the car now since it's actually worth what is owed and put the 14K towards the Model S. My financial situation is as follows:

Salary: $170K+ (Household $270k+)
DTI: 30% without car 38% with car (Household 20% with car)
I pay a $400 note & $400 in gas per month. The additional cost for the car will be an additional $500 a month (which is not a problem)
We have solar panels which should offset some of the cost for charging the car (Especially utilizing TOU rates at night)
The car cost is $93250 (including fees).
I would prefer that it is financed 100% since the rates are so low.

I already have a mortgage and typically keep cars for 8 years (When they last that long ;) ) What do you think?

Also if yo can chime in regarding financing with Alliant I would appreciate that as well (Auto Fico Score in Mid 700s).

Thanks
Just an aside, forgot to mention.
In addition to the fed $7500 New York has a $2000 tax credit.
You may already know this but believe it or not the Tesla rep. in NY did not!

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. After digesting everything I decided to go to the Tesla dealership to talk to someone. They were very nice (I guess you have to be to sell a $100K car ;) ). While I was there the rep suggest that I look at a 70D instead of a 75D. It has all of the features I wanted:

2016 70D (facelifted) in place of 75D
Pano Roof
19" Slipstream Wheels
Next Gen Seats
Auto Pilot Convenience Feature
Premium Upgrades Package (Like Power Liftgate Option, Leather Interior , & LED Light Package)
Subzero Package in place of Ultra High Fidelity Sound

I was reluctant at first but I listened to the standard system and it sounds good enough. On top of that it had only 100 miles (still qualifies for tax benefit since I would be the first owner) and they offered it to me for 85K with fees included (excluding tax).

Long story short I should receive it by the end of next week (in transit from other dealer on east coast). Alliant already funded the account as well.

This is going to be a tough coming week but hopefully the weekend that follows will be grand.

Happy Driving

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. After digesting everything I decided to go to the Tesla dealership to talk to someone. They were very nice (I guess you have to be to sell a $100K car ;) ). While I was there the rep suggest that I look at a 70D instead of a 75D. It has all of the features I wanted:

2016 70D (facelifted) in place of 75D
Pano Roof
19" Slipstream Wheels
Next Gen Seats
Auto Pilot Convenience Feature
Premium Upgrades Package (Like Power Liftgate Option, Leather Interior , & LED Light Package)
Subzero Package in place of Ultra High Fidelity Sound

I was reluctant at first but I listened to the standard system and it sounds good enough. On top of that it had only 100 miles (still qualifies for tax benefit since I would be the first owner) and they offered it to me for 85K with fees included (excluding tax).

Long story short I should receive it by the end of next week (in transit from other dealer on east coast). Alliant already funded the account as well.

This is going to be a tough coming week but hopefully the weekend that follows will be grand.

Happy Driving
Love the mix. Color?
Also, sounds like an inventory car. Hope you got your referral credit.

Really!? :) 1 week wait? Don't give me any tough week garbage :( Most of us here have to wait 6 -8 weeks! So sorry if I am not sympathetic my fellow NY'er. Kidding.
Congrats! on the purchase and quick turn around. Which dealership (lack of better word) did you go to. I have been to the Manhasset, Mt. Kisco and Saratoga places as well as Roosevelt Field (no longer there) The Tesla rep.'s have all been great and mostly knowledgable. Good luck!

Really!? :) 1 week wait? Don't give me any tough week garbage :( Most of us here have to wait 6 -8 weeks! So sorry if I am not sympathetic my fellow NY'er. Kidding.
Congrats! on the purchase and quick turn around. Which dealership (lack of better word) did you go to. I have been to the Manhasset, Mt. Kisco and Saratoga places as well as Roosevelt Field (no longer there) The Tesla rep.'s have all been great and mostly knowledgable. Good luck!

I went to the "Dealership" on Route 17 in Paramus, NJ. They are a full service center and they also sell certified Pre-Owned models there as well. (8) Super chargers are available at this location (Paramus-Route 17 | Tesla Motors)

My issue was justifying the cost of the car as compared to what I used to drive, not whether I can make the payments and have a comfortable buffer. It took me months to justify it, with my wife constantly telling me to "shut up and buy it already".

This. @Max* we are kindred spirits on this one. Knowing that I would be driving the safest car possible was also a huge selling point.

Reactions: Max* and e-FTW
@Engineer1971

Get that garage outlet ready, xpel/opticoat, accessories ordered, etc. Only 1 week....one can only be so lucky, congrats!!
You are so right. I'm getting quotes for the electrical work now but I may have the car for a week or so before the work can be completed. Luckily I can stop at the SC in Newburgh NY o the way home to "fill up" until the work is done. I also scheduled the tint work ( Huper Optik) to occur within a few days of having the car. Xpel is going to have to wait since I will be traveling for work and family vacation soon

I am having a 14-50 installed next to the garage door 10' from the electrical panel. I have 2 estimates $450 and $650. I may go with the $650 though. Very professional electrician. I could do it myself but I also want a new 50 amp and he will move around a couple of the breakers for better organization.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
Driving 600 miles a week in your Acura equates to about $288* in gas per month, which is about 25% of the monthly payment for a Model S. With your solar situation, if you get a EV rate and charge at night your electricity cost could be very minimal.
*(based on a 25 mpg in your Acura and $3/gal gas)

By the way.... you thought you liked your Acura. After you buy your Tesla, you will not believe you ever liked it! Going back to it will be like drinking Folgers after experiencing an amazing Italian coffee shop where the cute barista makes the most delectable cappuccino with a foam heart on top.:cool: