Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP: Key Card and App not unlocking Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today my key card and phone app are both NOT working. Car appears to be completely dead and I’m locked out despite it being charged to 80% and the ChargePoint charger is literally still plugged in, but can’t unplug (it’s now been 7 hrs locked out). Based on some quick research it may be a 12V batter issue - is this common and what are the best solutions? Here’s more context:

-App isn’t working for both my wife and me - yes, even after closing the app, turning off our phones - app is working just not connecting to the car (just keeps trying to load/refresh and then fails to connect)
-Used both key cards too and no response whatsoever
-Sentry mode shut off and no connectivity (doors, AC/heater, trunk, frunk, flash, vent, etc)
-I have a 2022 Model Y from January with under 4K miles
-Always keep the battery between 50-90%, 100% only when driving further distance and been below 30% maybe two to five times

Any feedback or help is greatly appreciated! Extremely frustrated since it’s brand new and there’s not even the roadside option for “locked out of car” so had to leave my car in a parking lot.

Thanks in advance!

...Extremely frustrated since it’s brand new and there’s not even the roadside option for “locked out of car” so had to leave my car in a parking lot...
I know that people are high-tech and think that the app is the only solution even when it doesn't give us the correct choices to choose on its app.

Please use the conventional solution of using voice to call up Tesla Roadside Assistance (you can google for phone number too).

It seems to be a depleted 12V lithium problem. It used to be lead acid and it usually takes about a year the earliest to start to deplete (it may last longer like 2, 3 years, and beyond...)

But now, Tesla has switched to the high-tech 12V lithium battery. In theory, it should be much better. In the meantime, since it is a new implementation, there might be some bugs to be sorted out.

By the way, what trim is your Model Y? Standard Range? Long Range? Performance?

Upvote 0
I know that people are high-tech and think that the app is the only solution even when it doesn't give us the correct choices to choose on its app.

Please use the conventional solution of using voice to call up Tesla Roadside Assistance (you can google for phone number too).

It seems to be a depleted 12V lithium problem. It used to be lead acid and it usually takes about a year the earliest to start to deplete (it may last longer like 2, 3 years, and beyond...)

But now, Tesla has switched to the high-tech 12V lithium battery. In theory, it should be much better. In the meantime, since it is a new implementation, there might be some bugs to be sorted out.

Thank you! I’m definitely far from high-tech and didn’t have time to even wait for roadside, just pissed overall this happens on a new car i waited 7 months for, had to take in three different times for flaws that they agreed to fix, customer service is poor since it can be because there’s so much demand and it’s overall a cool ride, and having to interrupt work for service etc is beyond inconvenient (yes, just bitching and venting, sorry). So hopefully they’ll cover the replacement and service of this battery issue, and it doesn’t take forever, if it is in fact that?

I have a Model Y Long Range

Reactions: PaulSeivert
Upvote 0
...yes, just bitching and venting, sorry)...
You have the right to certainly do that because it's an expensive new car. Very frustrating! I hope QA will get better some day!

...So hopefully they’ll cover the replacement and service of this battery issue, and it doesn’t take forever, if it is in fact that?...
You'll be covered fine. Just give Roadside Assistance a call and they'll tow your car to Service Center.

Service Center will find out the cause for the brand new 12V Lithium battery depletion and fix the cause.

In an ICE, it could be the alternator. In your case, it could be DC-to-DC converter that converts the 400V to 12V.

It could be a software bug because Lithium needs a good firmware too.

Since Tesla 12V Lithium is new, I'm not sure there's one lying around as a spare waiting in your Service Center. It may take time to order one. We don’t know.

By the way, did you have an aftermarket add-on like a subwoofer, radar detector, dash cam... that needs 12V? Tesla may blame you for that.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
It's the 12v battery.
Follow android04 instructions.
Easy

The same battery is used in motorcycles and generators. My generator 12v lasted one season. They do not hold up like the larger formats.

I'm switching to Lithium Ion as soon as mine won't hold a charge.

Upvote 0
It's the 12v battery.
Follow android04 instructions.
Easy...

Brand new January 2022, 4000-mile 12V Lithium battery should not die this prematurely. The cause needs to be identified. It might be easy for Service Center that has all diagnostic tools and service bulletins on the new implementation of this kind of battery but most of us don't have Insider secrets to diagnose and fix this very simple Lithium problem.

Would anyone want to switch to 12V Lithium battery that works only 5 months and 4,000 miles?

Upvote 0
Brand new January 2022, 4000-mile 12V Lithium battery should not die this prematurely. The cause needs to be identified. It might be easy for Service Center that has all diagnostic tools and service bulletins on the new implementation of this kind of battery but most of us don't have Insider secrets to diagnose and fix this very simple Lithium problem.

Would anyone want to switch to 12V Lithium battery that works only 5 months and 4,000 miles?
Thanks for your response...
First thing, you should always check the 12v. I live in FL, lead acid batteries die quick. Lithium ion is the choice for replacement.

I'm trying to help the OP,
But,
You be you.

Upvote 0

I don’t think his 12v battery is the new lithium battery. He said he got his car in January and I believe most being made then , if not all, we’re the older non lithium 12v battery.

Upvote 0
You have the right to certainly do that because it's an expensive new car. Very frustrating! I hope QA will get better some day!

You'll be covered fine. Just give Roadside Assistance a call and they'll tow your car to Service Center.

Service Center will find out the cause for the brand new 12V Lithium battery depletion and fix the cause.

In an ICE, it could be the alternator. In your case, it could be DC-to-DC converter that converts the 400V to 12V.

It could be a software bug because Lithium needs a good firmware too.

Since Tesla 12V Lithium is new, I'm not sure there's one lying around as a spare waiting in your Service Center. It may take time to order one. We don’t know.

By the way, did you have an aftermarket add-on like a subwoofer, radar detector, dash cam... that needs 12V? Tesla may blame you for that.

Good luck!
All very helpful, thanks!

No aftermarket add-ons….only got a good tint job last Thursday and then a rock cracked the windshield ruining on Sunday….just pure bad luck 😡

Upvote 0

That’s what I’m saying! It’s going to be tough to refrain from ripping into their folks if they’re rude. Last time they wouldn’t give me a loaner…am i supposed to Uber my baby around town and to and from daycare meaning i bring a damn car seat everywhere i go….NO!

Reactions: Aviateur17
Upvote 0
...lithium ion….
If you have AMD Ryzen Infotainment Processor:

You would mostly get 12V Lithium with an unconventional look on both the small rectangle metallic top and unconventional battery posts/black plug:

If you don't have 12V Lithium, I doubt Tesla would retrofit your car with one. They want you to trade-in for a whole new car just to get that single component.

Upvote 0

You would mostly get 12V Lithium with an unconventional look on both the small rectangle metallic top and unconventional battery posts/black plug:

If you don't have 12V Lithium, I doubt Tesla would retrofit your car with one. They want you to trade-in for a whole new car just to get that single component.
Very helpful, thank you! Finally got it towed for Tesla to tell me it won’t be ready until Friday and oh yeah we don’t have a loaner right…WTF!? Worst quality control and customer service ever. The FIFTH Tesla rep I talked just messaged me “i don’t know if you can get the lithium battery” with no explanation whatsoever besides “i don’t know”

Upvote 0

Makes sense, but they should! I’ve literally had it serviced four times within five months and they still can’t explain or address the clicking noise when my AC runs. Explanations I’ve received are: “we’re not sure” “i didn’t hear anything” and “it should go away”…..

Upvote 0
Makes sense, but they should! I’ve literally had it serviced four times within five months and they still can’t explain or address the clicking noise when my AC runs. Explanations I’ve received are: “we’re not sure” “i didn’t hear anything” and “it should go away”…..
They cannot simply replace your stock 12V lead acid with the newer lithium ion battery. LiON batteries run at a different voltage (~16V) than lead-acid car batteries and they also require a different kind of charger that monitors and balances the cells to avoid over charging that can permanently damage the battery... This text is in the most recent Model Y Owner's Manual:
Note
For vehicles manufactured after approximately November 2021, power inverters plugged into the low voltage power socket must support 16V DC input to function.
More details here: AMD Ryzen And 12V Li-Ion Battery Spotted In New Model 3/Y In US

Upvote 0