Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Linking Driver Profile to an iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having trouble linking my iPhone to an existing driver profile following the instructions on page 44 of the M3 Owner’s Manual. On the car, after selecting Controls > Locks and touching the + icon, I get a screen where a phone or key card must be selected. Under the phone selection is written, “Select your vehicle in the Tesla mobile app to begin.” Since there is only one car linked to my Tesla phone app, I am not sure what that means. When “Phone Key” is selected on my phone’s Tesla app, I get a screen entitled “Having Trouble“ which suggests turning Bluetooth off and then back on, which doesn’t help. That is as far as I get. What am I doing wrong? I am on 2019.40.50.7.

I am having trouble linking my iPhone to an existing driver profile following the instructions on page 44 of the M3 Owner’s Manual. On the car, after selecting Controls > Locks and touching the + icon, I get a screen where a phone or key card must be selected. Under the phone selection is written, “Select your vehicle in the Tesla mobile app to begin.” Since there is only one car linked to my Tesla phone app, I am not sure what that means. When “Phone Key” is selected on my phone’s Tesla app, I get a screen entitled “Having Trouble“ which suggests turning Bluetooth off and then back on, which doesn’t help. That is as far as I get. What am I doing wrong? I am on 2019.40.50.7.
if you're using more than one phone, you'll need to log in to the tesla app on the other phone with your account. it is my understanding, however, that people with multiple teslas in their home have been able to add the other's vehicle to their account, but they had to call to do so.

with that said, I don't believe you "need" the app to drive the car. i think you just need to pair the phone with the car and have your keycard with you to grant it permission. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

It sounds like your phone is not currently set up as a key for your car. What you need to try is this: on your iPhone, go to settings and scroll all the way down to the Tesla app and make sure the app has access to the Bluetooth permission. Once you give it permission, you should be able to use your phone as a key and then link it to your driver profile. I had this same issue on my wife’s phone when we upgraded her to an 11 pro.

I think you may be on the wrong section of the manual - what you’re describing is the process to add a key, not how to associate a driver profile with a key.

In assuming you already have a driver profile created - if so, go to the “Locks” menu, but instead of selecting the “+” symbol, select the “person” symbol next to the key you want the driver profile associated with.

See attached picture - red circle is what you need to select to assign a driver profile to the key, and the yellow circle is the driver profile that is currently active. If you haven’t made a driver profile yet, you’ll need to create one first.

5FBA94A8-3EE7-4916-9624-6EC40E5D06FB.jpeg

pl8dlikafiddle is correct, hitting the + button is for adding a new key, not linking a driver profile to a key.

I thought that too but on page 44 of the M3 owners manual, under "Linking a Driver Profile to a Key" is the following instruction, "Navigate to Controls > Locks and touch the + icon. You can add an authenticated phone, key card, or key fob by following the onscreen instructions." The trouble I am having is the onscreen instructions mentioned in the sentence above never appear.

I thought that too but on page 44 of the M3 owners manual, under "Linking a Driver Profile to a Key" is the following instruction, "Navigate to Controls > Locks and touch the + icon. You can add an authenticated phone, key card, or key fob by following the onscreen instructions." The trouble I am having is the onscreen instructions mentioned in the sentence above never appear.
Sounds like the manual sucks lol.

Take a pic of the Locks screen showing all your keys and post it here. Are you trying to add a new key or link an existing key to a profile?

Touching the + icon will start the process of adding a new key.

To link a profile to an existing key, all you have to do is select the profile you want to link (yellow circle in post #5) and tap on the icon next to the key (red circle in post #5).

I’ve followed this procedure but it doesn’t seem to work!
When I go to the car with my wife’s phone (only) it still only sets the previous profile used.
I’d like to get this feature working correctly.
Any ideas?