Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help looking for a summer only tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) also seem very very close in performance to those Pilot Sport 4S... maybe actually a little better when it’s wet.

They’re about ~$52/tire cheaper right now (if you don’t factor in the rebate). So ~$208 cheaper before rebate, ~$138 after the rebate.

They should last about as long as the 4S and efficiency should be about the same if just a very slight edge with the Pirelli (1.7%, like ~5 Wh/mi better at highway speeds).

Going by the comparison in the link I posted earlier-

General test track numbers (slalom, lap times, G-force) basically had the Michelins slightly ahead in dry and the Pirellis slightly ahead in wet.

But the PZ4s took longer to stop the car in both wet AND dry compared to the PS4s. Not by a huge amount- but unless you do a lot of autocrossing in the rain braking distance is probably the most important "wet" number to look at.

The Michelins also scored higher in ride and noise comfort, and real-world road handling.

I'm trying to find a tire to pair with my new VMR V710 19 x 8.5 wheels (24.5 lbs ea.) and want to keep the combined wheel/tire weight to no more than stock 19's and tires (48.4 lbs).

Has anyone tried the Continental PureContact LS 235/40 R 19 (96V)(all season tire) (UTQG: 700 AA )(23.4 lbs) ?

It appears to have good wet and dry traction (approaching the Continental ProContact RX 235/40 R 19, 96W, UTQG 400 AA)?? with a same tire weight, but the PureContact only has a V speed rating (149mph), which is far more than I need.

I like the specs of the ProContact, but need more than 20-25K miles real world tread life. I have winter tires, so don't need an all season tire, but want good performance and tread life, combined with a lower weight tire.

Given how much Michelin has been willing to work with my tire supplier (Discount Tire/America's Tire) and me (in the form of a significant trade-in credit towards a new set) when it was time for new tires, I really doubt you'd save much money going with something other than the aforementioned PS4S.

Trade in? Is this a thing? I would rather get rid of my OEM all season and get summers since I already bought winters... but with less than 4,000 miles on the all seasons I can’t justify $1000 or so for a new summer set...

For those who asked, or care, I used to be an avid autocrosser, but I went around 5 years without doing it at all once I had little kids. Last summer I managed to get to one event with the model 3, and I hope to make it to an event this summer too. So I don't think it makes sense to make a tire decision based on autox use given that it'll probably be one event per summer. I'm just looking for something that is fun enough around town.

I appreciate what others are saying about not skimping on tires, but given that I don't need get every bit of performance, I'm ok giving up a little to save a decent chunk of cash.

That all being said, I do have a question on tirerack tire ratings. I saw that for the "Road manners & dry/wet track" rating, the PS4S got 8.37, the Indy 500 got 7.32, and the General GMAX AS-05 for 7.45. The AS-05 is a UHP all-season tire, and the Indy 500 UHP summer tire. Yet the GMAX AS-05 for a better rating than the Indy 500 despite being "all season". Are those ratings normalized across all categories? Or are they only valid comparisons for tires in the same performance category?

For those who asked, or care, I used to be an avid autocrosser, but I went around 5 years without doing it at all once I had little kids. Last summer I managed to get to one event with the model 3, and I hope to make it to an event this summer too. So I don't think it makes sense to make a tire decision based on autox use given that it'll probably be one event per summer. I'm just looking for something that is fun enough around town.

I appreciate what others are saying about not skimping on tires, but given that I don't need get every bit of performance, I'm ok giving up a little to save a decent chunk of cash.

That all being said, I do have a question on tirerack tire ratings. I saw that for the "Road manners & dry/wet track" rating, the PS4S got 8.37, the Indy 500 got 7.32, and the General GMAX AS-05 for 7.45. The AS-05 is a UHP all-season tire, and the Indy 500 UHP summer tire. Yet the GMAX AS-05 for a better rating than the Indy 500 despite being "all season". Are those ratings normalized across all categories? Or are they only valid comparisons for tires in the same performance category?
I think they are really only "valid" for tires tested the same day! They certainly make no effort to normalize as that would be a massive and likely futile undertaking. I have been looking at their numbers for years and they are certainly helpful (as are the CR ratings with similar limitations, but larger groupings of comparable figures), but ya gotta do some guessing...

Reactions: kbecks13
That's quite the premium! I'm surprised it has a 92Y service rating. My stock tires are 98Y I believe.

It's $28/tire more than the non-Tesla specific version.

It's also 0.3" wider and therefore 1 lb. heavier than the non-Tesla specific version, so money well-spent, IMO. The car needs all the grip it can get given its performance capability and its weight.

No doubt the PS4 is the best tire in its category. But, I did run Indy 500s on my BMW for years. Even took it to HPDEs. Went through two sets... they're an awesome value. Would definitely get them on my Tesla, especially as I'm on track to wear out my initial MXM4s by 8K miles.

You get ~two sets of PS4s for every 3 sets of Indys. You'll certainly lose a bit of performance (after all... they are in different performance categories), but will it be worth the $400+? That's up to you. Personally, I'll probably go with nicer tires, initially, once I finish my build. But if the trend is true and I end up vaporizing summer tires every 5,000 miles, no way I'm going top-of-the-line. I'll still have the same amount of fun.

Currently reading about the General G-MAX RS in 245/45/18. Seems to get pretty solid reviews, and the price is great. The size difference should be fine, only increases the diameter by 0.5" and changes the speedo by +2.4%.

Again, I appreciate that this isn't as good a tire as the PS4, but then I don't think i need the best. Just something pretty good.

Currently reading about the General G-MAX RS in 245/45/18. Seems to get pretty solid reviews, and the price is great. The size difference should be fine, only increases the diameter by 0.5" and changes the speedo by +2.4%.

Again, I appreciate that this isn't as good a tire as the PS4, but then I don't think i need the best. Just something pretty good.

If the tire diameter increases, the speedometer reading would actually decrease by that amount...