TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

HELP! Loud bang from motor then car dead

Discussion in 'Model S' started by johnyoung1234, May 24, 2014.

1. johnyoung1234

johnyoung1234 Member

Just accelerated from a stop and heard a loud bang (it sounded like someone had hit me) then my Model S died. I am sitting at a gas station (how ironic) waiting for Tesla service to come get me. The car will not go into gear at all and the motor is making a high pitched whine. Anyone else been through this?

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Sounds quite a lot like this That-very-loud-and-painful-clunk

The whining may well be the AC running. Best is to power everything down if you can to prevent a 12v failure; if you are on flat ground and there's no chance of the car rolling (and/or you can chock the wheels) put the car in "Tow Mode" already. You're probably in line for a new battery and/or drive train.

3. Burt Court

Burt Court Member

Sounds to me like you broke the crank between 2nd and 3rd main bearings. Open the hood and have someone rock her back and forth to see if the crank pully moves

4. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I giggled a little at this one.

To get a look at that portion of the engine you'll need to look at the rear of the car; half-axles (is that the term? I dunno for sure) connect the wheels to the "engine" there. Prolly need to peel the big plastic rock protector off the bottom as well.

Without a lift, I don't see how you'd be able to diagnose this yourself.

5. johnyoung1234

johnyoung1234 Member

My car has just over 22,000 miles on it now and I've had the main battery replaced once already (this is the second time the car has shut down on me). I bought a 'demo' car with 11,000 miles on it and I wonder if my issues are from excessive hard driving before I took ownership. The service center said they estimate Wednesday of this week until the car is repaired. In the meantime they gave me a very basic 60 model. I noticed a very significant difference in acceleration vs. my 85 from the moment I started driving it. I hope this is a quick fix so I can get my 85 back!

6. johnyoung1234

johnyoung1234 Member

Just got word from the service center...it was the drive train. Good thing I had the extended warranty.

7. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Why? The basic warranty runs 4 years/50k.

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

extended warranty is for post-50k to 100k miles. if you're at 22k miles "regular" warranty would have covered it.

9. gene

gene Active Member

Tesla service has been so extraordinary and Tesla's commitment to customer satisfaction that I would venture to say that they would have made the replacement anyways, warranty or no warranty.

10. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    good to know the update of what the issue was, glad you are okay and hopefully no issues will come up in the future. Good thing for warranty indeed!