Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! Loud bang from motor then car dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just accelerated from a stop and heard a loud bang (it sounded like someone had hit me) then my Model S died. I am sitting at a gas station (how ironic) waiting for Tesla service to come get me. The car will not go into gear at all and the motor is making a high pitched whine. Anyone else been through this?

Sounds to me like you broke the crank between 2nd and 3rd main bearings. Open the hood and have someone rock her back and forth to see if the crank pully moves
I giggled a little at this one.

To get a look at that portion of the engine you'll need to look at the rear of the car; half-axles (is that the term? I dunno for sure) connect the wheels to the "engine" there. Prolly need to peel the big plastic rock protector off the bottom as well.

Without a lift, I don't see how you'd be able to diagnose this yourself.

My car has just over 22,000 miles on it now and I've had the main battery replaced once already (this is the second time the car has shut down on me). I bought a 'demo' car with 11,000 miles on it and I wonder if my issues are from excessive hard driving before I took ownership. The service center said they estimate Wednesday of this week until the car is repaired. In the meantime they gave me a very basic 60 model. I noticed a very significant difference in acceleration vs. my 85 from the moment I started driving it. I hope this is a quick fix so I can get my 85 back!