Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Love bugs appear to have etched my clear coat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen several posts on how to best protect your car from the ravages of the dreaded Florida love bugs, but nothing regarding how to best get them off. I made a recent road trip from Orlando to Cocoa Beach and the front of my car was pelted with love bugs. I washed them off as soon as I got home but it looks like they have etched the clear coat of my frunk. Does anyone have a recommendation for a product that might help? I am afraid of trying something that might damage the paint further and not sure if a Tesla’s paint is any different from other cars? I am thinking about taking it to a detailer, so if anyone also has recommendations in the Orlando area I would appreciate that.

I have seen several posts on how to best protect your car from the ravages of the dreaded Florida love bugs, but nothing regarding how to best get them off. I made a recent road trip from Orlando to Cocoa Beach and the front of my car was pelted with love bugs. I washed them off as soon as I got home but it looks like they have etched the clear coat of my frunk. Does anyone have a recommendation for a product that might help? I am afraid of trying something that might damage the paint further and not sure if a Tesla’s paint is any different from other cars? I am thinking about taking it to a detailer, so if anyone also has recommendations in the Orlando area I would appreciate that.
You can try a clay bar and that will help it is surface contaminants that are still remaining after the wash. If your clear is truly etched then it will take some paint correction utilizing polish to make it better.

Grab a bounce fabric softener sheet (can even be already used in your dryer) then spray the area with water and lightly rub with the dryer sheet the bugs will come off easier and quicker than regular washing. Chances are that if you washed the bugs off right after driving then what you are seeing is hopefully the bug guts that didn't come off in regular washing.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC