Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Maximum ac charge rate on M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

In the process of installing a charger at my workplace for a couple of M3's.

Could anybody confirm what the maximum AC charge rate if on the M3's?

I have read a lot of stuff that's conflicting, on the Pod point/Zap map website is states the maximum type 2 charge rate is 11kw??

Just want to know before I go wasting money installing 22kw chargers that we cant use the full potential of?

Thanks

Reactions: APotatoGod
Hi All,

In the process of installing a charger at my workplace for a couple of M3's.

Could anybody confirm what the maximum AC charge rate if on the M3's?

I have read a lot of stuff that's conflicting, on the Pod point/Zap map website is states the maximum type 2 charge rate is 11kw??

Just want to know before I go wasting money installing 22kw chargers that we cant use the full potential of?

Thanks

The M3's onboard charger is 11Kw, but on a single phase supply you'd be limited to 30A which is roughly 7.2Kw

Home Charging Installation

Reactions: NewbieT
Model 3 limits are 32A on single phase (7.4kW) and 16A on three phase (11kW). I believe Model S and X fitted with dual-chargers can go up to 24A on three phase (16.5kW).

It's worth considering, for the cost difference between 22kW and 11kW, what advances might be 'round the corner and "future proofing" your new installation. Who knows what battery magic Tesla might have up their sleeves for the Model Y or new Roadster (or other EV makers for that matter)...?

Model 3 limits are 32A on single phase (7.4kW) and 16A on three phase (11kW). I believe Model S and X fitted with dual-chargers can go up to 24A on three phase (16.5kW).

It's worth considering, for the cost difference between 22kW and 11kW, what advances might be 'round the corner and "future proofing" your new installation. Who knows what battery magic Tesla might have up their sleeves for the Model Y or new Roadster (or other EV makers for that matter)...?
Hi, how do you know if charge points are single or three phase?

I should add, without a car to plug it in to and just by looking from the outside.

You can't tell by looking at the outside of a charger whether it's single or 3 phase. Everything is the same, Type 2 socket or tethered cable for example will be identical. Many charger points can be set for either single or 3 phase. The main issue is whether the location has 3 phase available. It's very unusual to have 3 phase available for domestic locations but more common for a large business.

• Informative
There is generally little need to have the fastest at business locations. People are going to be plugged in for a half or full day. Having a car finish charging in 1 hour often means that they have to take a break to move the car. Many standard wall plugs is often better than a few really fast chargers

Reactions: pow216
Sorry for the necropost, but I'm puzzled as to why so many people are talking about a 32 Amp limit here? My 2018 Model 3 LR routinely charges at 48A @ 240V, around 11kw, with the HWPC. Are people just referring to charging with the mobile connector? Or the standard range model?

Hopefully someone can clarify for better reference for future visitors (this thread was one of the first results from a web search, so should ideally have some more accurate information.)

Edit: just realized this is the "UK and Ireland" subforum, so perhaps that's the cause of the discrepancy. My experience is in the US, with an American Model 3.

Sorry for the necropost, but I'm puzzled as to why so many people are talking about a 32 Amp limit here? My 2018 Model 3 LR routinely charges at 48A @ 240V, around 11kw, with the HWPC. Are people just referring to charging with the mobile connector? Or the standard range model?

Hopefully someone can clarify for better reference for future visitors (this thread was one of the first results from a web search, so should ideally have some more accurate information.)

Edit: just realized this is the "UK and Ireland" subforum, so perhaps that's the cause of the discrepancy. My experience is in the US, with an American Model 3.
It is very much a US/UK difference. Over here, the standard home EVSE on single phase is 32A. (As long as the incoming supply to the property can handle it)

• Informative

The car is the same. People here can also charge at 11kW but that requires a 3 phase supply… which is very rare indeed in people’s homes. So on single phase the car can only do 32amps…. Same as othe EVs.

• Informative

The difference in Model 3 charge rates was between the LR and the SR+ versions. The original LR came with an onboard charger with 3 charge boards each capable of 16 amps, for a 48 amp max output (3x16). The Model 3 SR+ version (introduced Q1 2019) had just 2 of those same boards in its onboard charger, for a total of 32 amps (2x16). Note that the SR+ pack was also about 2/3rds the capacity of the LR, so it maintained the same C-rate for L2 charging (important for bty longevity).

Interestingly, the original Model S came with a 72 amp-capable charger, then was later made available with dual chargers supporting a total of 80 amps, and now the refresh S/X (Q2 2021) has the same 48 amp-max onboard charger as the 3/Y. Replacement parts supply and logistics wins out.

It's actually not that much more useful to have a faster onboard charger even for the 100KWh cars, given that most cars charge overnight and a 48 amp charger can restore 80% charge in about 10 hrs, which is less time than most cars are parked overnight.

Cheers!

• Informative
The difference in Model 3 charge rates was between the LR and the SR+ versions. The original LR came with an onboard charger with 3 charge boards each capable of 16 amps, for a 48 amp max output (3x16). The Model 3 SR+ version (introduced Q1 2019) had just 2 of those same boards in its onboard charger, for a total of 32 amps (2x16). Note that the SR+ pack was also about 2/3rds the capacity of the LR, so it maintained the same C-rate for L2 charging (important for bty longevity).

Your posting on UK & Ireland sub forum. All UK/Ireland Model 3s have always came with 3 x 16amp charger modules. I have an SR+ and can charge at 48amps ... but this entails connecting to a 3 phase supply which is very rare indeed for domestic supplies. We only usually come across opportunities to charge at 48amps on AC public chargers that are 3 phase ... so we get 11kW nominal (actually seen 12kW if the voltage is a bit higher). The DC charging for SR+ was originally limited to 100kW but was lifted to 170kW nominal by a software update (seen 177kW peak). Not as high as LR or Performance models, presumably for the reasons you state relating to C-rate and optimising battery longevity on the smaller capacity pack.