Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Braintorm 2nd EV Ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a year and a half, we've had only one car. My wife and I are both retired, and that generally works okay, but there are a few times, perhaps once a month, when we'd both like to have the car at the same time. So, I'm considering buying a second EV. At most, this second car would only need to go 65 miles, round trip. We live far from town, so Ubering is not practical.

I've gotten addicted to having more garage space, so we'd like a car that's small. I'd love to get one of these when they come out,

DSC_0647.jpeg

but I'd be concerned about safety.

A second Tesla would be overkill, so I'm considering a Fiat 500e. Of course, the best option might just be to continue to have only one car.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

For a small ev I've always liked the BMW i3s w/o the ice option. It handles pretty good so fun factor is high and its actually quite advanced as far as material sciences goes. They however are stupidly over priced for the range so I'd look used personally.

A second Tesla would be overkill

I disagree, a second Tesla would match your goals for this car perfectly...

Small, more than enough range for your use, and for sure more fun than a 500e! You didn't mention a budget btw. :)

Reactions: Nujec
A second Tesla would be overkill, so I'm considering a Fiat 500e. Of course, the best option might just be to continue to have only one car.

Your thoughts? Thanks.
I saw a positive review of Mini EV. It's downsides are small storage space and short range, but this seems to be perfectly okay for a second in-the-city car. Also, I would keep looking at the Bolt, they might be on sale... if you are ready to park it outside of your garage.

• Funny
Reactions: thesmokingman
For a year and a half, we've had only one car. My wife and I are both retired, and that generally works okay, but there are a few times, perhaps once a month, when we'd both like to have the car at the same time. So, I'm considering buying a second EV. At most, this second car would only need to go 65 miles, round trip. We live far from town, so Ubering is not practical.

I've gotten addicted to having more garage space, so we'd like a car that's small. I'd love to get one of these when they come out,

DSC_0647.jpeg

but I'd be concerned about safety.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

I just sold my Fiat 500e for more than I paid for it four years ago. It was a great little car and it sounds like it would fit your use case very well.

Reactions: PianoAl
I've been mulling our second EV options for months now that it's clear that we need a four+ seater for a second car (currently have an ICE mx5).

I keep coming back the conclusion that the Tesla Model 3 is hard to beat for what you get for the money especially given that it's depreciation is so low. It'll be interesting to see what effect the newly arriving model Y will have though. Also being a Tesla you can go on a road trip anywhere without planning because Supercharger network can be trusted e.g. if our aging parents have a health crisis.

The used EV options roughly break down to

£7-10k poor range and near or past battery warranty
£20kish moderate range most likely to depreciate quickly
£32k+ used model S mostly near end of battery warranty
£37k+ used model 3 2-3 years old

New options start at £25k but seem really poor value for money in comparison. Need to spend 33k+ for decent range and at least £40k to get something as desirable as a Tesla.

A used model S is intensely desirable but I really don't trust the battery tech enough to get one and keep it beyond the battery warranty. Hard to justify the financial risk for a low mileage second EV though it's very tempting.

Two frightening things:
1. The speedometer goes up to 80 (!)
2. Seatbelts are optional, $900 extra!

Reactions: Nujec