TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Help me: Buy a Used Model 3 or Used Model S?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Tezla1, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Tezla1

Tezla1 Member

Hi,

I am long time BMW owner and currently drive a '17 340i.

I'm facing a decision between buying a used M3 or a used MS.

So, which one should I buy?
    what is the best place to buy a used Tesla? Ebay any good?
    If I buy a 2014 MS, will the autopilot work just as good as a 2018 M3?

Here's my must haves:

1. Autopilot
    2. Price 50k or less
    3. < than 40k miles.
    4. 2015+ (i guess b/c I don't want something too old?)

2. Dorkiedoode

Dorkiedoode Member

i have a 18 340i and i got a brand new M3. new improve battery, similar size to the bmw, handles great. model S is nice but it's kinda big for me and i only like the highest end model S, which i cannot afford lol.

3. peebrayne

peebrayne Member

I prefer the 3. Its more sporty, and it doesnt feel so large and heavy. The only reason I would go with an S is if you need the luggage space and go on frequent long road trips.

4. silentsnow31802

I have a 3 im trying to get rid of. Its a 2017 RWD with alcantara. PM me if your interested.

5. Forcelite

Forcelite Member

Silentsnow, you itching for the awd or performance? That is one thing I regret is not getting awd. I ordered before they offered it .

6. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Why would you buy a used Model 3??

• Like x 1
  7. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

That's my question too. Unless the discount is significant... if you can get one with the full tax credit it's not worth it.

8. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Because you can no longer get a long range RWD or you want silver or ... I can see reasons..

9. DriveMe

DriveMe Member

No.
    Autopilot was first introduced in October 2014. So most cars made that year do not have Autopilot at all.
    Those that do, have AP1 (with a single camera, not 8) which will not be upgradeable to FSD, when that becomes available.

• Like x 1
  10. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Even with half credit i wouldn’t get a used.

Dual motor is better anyways. Forget RWD. Color? Nah. I guess new is more valuable to me than a lot of other things you described.

11. Trevor B

Trevor B Active Member

Gen 1 seats?

12. SamT

SamT Member

Hand down, I would get a Model 3, newer autopilot 2.5, better range and much more fun to drive. I would look at Ebay or Craigslist, a lot of owners have RWD, but would like to sell it to upgrade to the AWD. I did, I sold mine RWD thru Ebay, but I listed on Craigslist too, I had a lot of interest from both.

• Like x 1
  13. vletnguyen

vletnguyen Member

I have both, depends on your driver preference. its like comparing BMW 3 series to their 5 or 7 series.

Many threads on this topic, a few pros/cons.

model 3 - handles like go kart, no heated steering wheel, no xm radio, no hatch/smaller trunk space, newer technology, more efficient, pay per use supercharging on most models.

Model S - I had to replace all door handles multiple times; now without warranty, its about a 2 hr job (for me) with a part that cost less than a dollar. My wife likes the model S for costco runs.

• Informative x 1
  14. Tezla1

Tezla1 Member

My Reasons:

1. too late to qualify for 7500 rebate? (Not sure)

2. Save on depreciation

3. Get it under $50k vs 56k new

4. Don’t have to wait 2-3 months to get new M3

Please do advise if my reasons are not valid? Any suggestions?

15. gambit48

gambit48 Member

Just returned a S loaner cuz I had to take my 3 in (they goodwilled everything, including tire rotation).

I'd say the S is more like the 7 than the 5. I know what you're saying, but I feel the S is even more "large car" or boat like than the 5 (although the past couple gen 5 series is very close to the 7 in feel; very unlike the beloved e39 generation).

I had a 2017, and even then, it's clear that there weren't that many improvements made, but a 2015 is definitely old enough that it feels OLD. You can very much tell it was Tesla's first attempt at a mainstream car. Stuff is just very awkwardly placed. Little things like cupholders, rear center armrests, and pockets are conspicuously missing. It's definitely larger inside and out, but it's actually harder to get out of. The efficiency difference is a lot worse too. I was kinda surprised. It definitely rides a lot smoother and quieter than the 3, but every other driving dynamic far, far worse. Think old school Cadillac or a Lincoln Town Car. It's the road trip/Costco run car.

I'm glad it exists. It's so different, that it fills a completely different market demand. It's not a bad car, it's just VERY different than a 3. You really need like 30-60 minutes to get a proper feel for both cars. A 10 minute test drive isn't enough IMO. I mean, you can feel the driving dynamics within 100 feet, but all the little stuff that you notice when you live with a car takes a bit more time to notice.

If it's between a 3 and a 2015 S, I'd go with the 3. Just all the improvements...

• Like x 1
  16. DriveMe

DriveMe Member

You are in California, so I don’t think it’s too late. Call your Tesla store to make sure.

Questionable. What will happen to the residual cost when all current Tesla’s will become fully self-driving in a few years and your 2014–2015 car won’t?

Again, If you want AP2 or above, I don’t think you can get it for $50K.

You might be able to get it this month. Next month the latest.

Model S has its own advantages. I think it all boils down to how important the AP2 and future FSD is to you.

17. more863-also

more863-also Member

Dual motor is way better at consuming energy than the RWD unit, that's for sure!

• Funny x 1
  18. Club206

Club206 Member

I was in the same boat as you are three weeks ago. Went with the 3 instead of the S. I went with the AWD LR in white. All came down to newer tech in a 3 vs problems of a 3-5 year old car. Plus no miles on it. I think the 3 handles better as a smaller car as well. Both good choices so let us know what you do!

19. T-Will

T-Will Member

I just came across a black LR, early VIN (around 5000), with EAP, for $48k on Autotrader. Best deal I've seen on a 3 with EAP. I think it was wrapped and had some other cosmetic mods as well.

20. silentsnow31802

Took delivery of a P about a month ago. I have no use for the RWD one anymore. A family member was supposed to take it but they bailed on me.

Gen 1 seats. VIN is under 1000.