Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me: Buy a Used Model 3 or Used Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am long time BMW owner and currently drive a '17 340i.

I'm facing a decision between buying a used M3 or a used MS.

So, which one should I buy?
what is the best place to buy a used Tesla? Ebay any good?
If I buy a 2014 MS, will the autopilot work just as good as a 2018 M3?

Here's my must haves:

1. Autopilot
2. Price 50k or less
3. < than 40k miles.
4. 2015+ (i guess b/c I don't want something too old?)

i have a 18 340i and i got a brand new M3. new improve battery, similar size to the bmw, handles great. model S is nice but it's kinda big for me and i only like the highest end model S, which i cannot afford lol.

Hand down, I would get a Model 3, newer autopilot 2.5, better range and much more fun to drive. I would look at Ebay or Craigslist, a lot of owners have RWD, but would like to sell it to upgrade to the AWD. I did, I sold mine RWD thru Ebay, but I listed on Craigslist too, I had a lot of interest from both.

Reactions: T-Will
I have both, depends on your driver preference. its like comparing BMW 3 series to their 5 or 7 series.

Many threads on this topic, a few pros/cons.

model 3 - handles like go kart, no heated steering wheel, no xm radio, no hatch/smaller trunk space, newer technology, more efficient, pay per use supercharging on most models.

Model S - I had to replace all door handles multiple times; now without warranty, its about a 2 hr job (for me) with a part that cost less than a dollar. My wife likes the model S for costco runs.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyinLow
Just returned a S loaner cuz I had to take my 3 in (they goodwilled everything, including tire rotation).

I'd say the S is more like the 7 than the 5. I know what you're saying, but I feel the S is even more "large car" or boat like than the 5 (although the past couple gen 5 series is very close to the 7 in feel; very unlike the beloved e39 generation).

I had a 2017, and even then, it's clear that there weren't that many improvements made, but a 2015 is definitely old enough that it feels OLD. You can very much tell it was Tesla's first attempt at a mainstream car. Stuff is just very awkwardly placed. Little things like cupholders, rear center armrests, and pockets are conspicuously missing. It's definitely larger inside and out, but it's actually harder to get out of. The efficiency difference is a lot worse too. I was kinda surprised. It definitely rides a lot smoother and quieter than the 3, but every other driving dynamic far, far worse. Think old school Cadillac or a Lincoln Town Car. It's the road trip/Costco run car.

I'm glad it exists. It's so different, that it fills a completely different market demand. It's not a bad car, it's just VERY different than a 3. You really need like 30-60 minutes to get a proper feel for both cars. A 10 minute test drive isn't enough IMO. I mean, you can feel the driving dynamics within 100 feet, but all the little stuff that you notice when you live with a car takes a bit more time to notice.

If it's between a 3 and a 2015 S, I'd go with the 3. Just all the improvements...

Reactions: vletnguyen
My Reasons:

1. too late to qualify for 7500 rebate? (Not sure)

You are in California, so I don’t think it’s too late. Call your Tesla store to make sure.

2. Save on depreciation

Questionable. What will happen to the residual cost when all current Tesla’s will become fully self-driving in a few years and your 2014–2015 car won’t?

3. Get it under $50k vs 56k new
Again, If you want AP2 or above, I don’t think you can get it for $50K.

4. Don’t have to wait 2-3 months to get new M3
You might be able to get it this month. Next month the latest.

Please do advise if my reasons are not valid? Any suggestions?
Model S has its own advantages. I think it all boils down to how important the AP2 and future FSD is to you.

I was in the same boat as you are three weeks ago. Went with the 3 instead of the S. I went with the AWD LR in white. All came down to newer tech in a 3 vs problems of a 3-5 year old car. Plus no miles on it. I think the 3 handles better as a smaller car as well. Both good choices so let us know what you do!