TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Help me calculate cost of using chargepoint

Discussion in 'North America' started by tdiggity, Jan 17, 2013.

1. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Can someone help me calculate how much a kwH costs when you have to pay for a charging station's time?

For example: Chargepoint stations near me cost $1/hr for the 30A j1772

2. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

cheapest you could pay would be based on 240x30 = 7200wH @ one dollar would be 13.9 cents / kWh. It might be fed with 208v in which case you get less power and it will cost more per kWh.

3. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Thanks! That's actually not too bad.

4. Tesla 940

Tesla 940 Member

A valid comparison...

A valid calculation if comparing to the cost of electricity at home. However, if you are using this to determine cost per mile you need to remember conversion loss. 20% + would be normal.

5. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

#5 tdiggity, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    Yea, i'm comparing it to cost of electricity at home. I have a crappy situation where my condo has decided to not let me install my own charger. They want to use a 3rd party company (for valid reasons), but this company charges ~55 cents per kwh AND has me paying for the charger install. It so happens that San Jose has free parking for EVs and chargepoint stations in all the overnight garages. And the closest one is 1 block away. It's not a dedicated spot, but it is a solution for the time being while I figure my parking situation out.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

remember that Chargepoint charges you for the time that you are plugged in, not necessarily time to charge.

7. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Thanks! That's terrible...

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Not around me. The Chargepoint stations supplied by Beam in NYC have unlimited monthly charging for $98/month. http://www.beamcharging.com/beam-locations.html

9. Ampster

Ampster Member

Nor me. In Hermosa Beach they are free. Occasionly I charge at other Chargepoint stations and they vsry by location.

Driving a RAV4 EV since October 2012.
    Converting a VW to electric since April 2012
    Sent from my phone, using Tapatalk.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It's great for getting people not use it as a permanent parking spot.

11. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

ChargePoint chargers think that you've unplugged once charging is done, at least on the Model S.

Also, note on the Chargepoint.net site, if you click on Connections, Verdek EV Solution is offering free EV charging in exchange for access to your charging history. There are other offers/discounts available on that page. Regardless, nearly all the ChargePoint stations around New England are free (at least, for now).