Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me choose. 2022 Model S or Model 3 Performance??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you have your definition of efficiency backwards or your numbers shown are not in the order of S/Y/3 as you state.

A lower numerical number of Wh/mi is more efficient as this is the amount of energy required to travel 1 mile. For an ICE, this is like saying gallons per mile where a small number is good, not MPG where a larger number is better.

If your numbers are really in the correct sequence, then your Model Y at 255 Wh/mi is the MOST efficient, takes the least amount of energy per mile.
The Model 3 would be the least efficient at 315, with the Model S in the middle.
Good catch, shouldn't type when on cold drugs just before going to sleep. I couldn't edit my post so the order of most efficient to least for me has been the 3 @ 255Wh/mi; S @ 275Wh/mi, and Y @315Wh/mi. I can also add that I tend to drive the 3 most aggressively of any lately. Overall though the S has seen the most triple digit speed time.

Reactions: misc3r
Good catch, shouldn't type when on cold drugs just before going to sleep. I couldn't edit my post so the order of most efficient to least for me has been the 3 @ 255Wh/mi; S @ 275Wh/mi, and Y @315Wh/mi. I can also add that I tend to drive the 3 most aggressively of any lately. Overall though the S has seen the most triple digit speed time.
That order makes much more sense. Model 3 should be better than Model Y due to lower frontal area and lower total aero drag with the same drive train, just like a Model S is better than an X. The model S is about the same as my mid-2016 MS90D with lifetime average of 279 over about 69k miles with about 40% of that being long range trips. I was not sure exactly where I expected the Model S vs. Model Y to stack up as I've not researched thoroughly the different in front area and drag coefficients between the two.

Or in my case like $80K. From a practical standpoint, probably not unless you need the larger size of the car. But for me it's not about practicality - it's about that zoom zoom. ;)
Well I already have the Y for space n storage so no need for larger sedan. Having said this it's more about want vs need, I guess. I'm sure I would be happy with either 3P or the S. If the 3P had similar interior as the S then it would be no brainer lol. I just feel like the 3 has the same interior as my Y which it does. So the specialness factor may not last. Decisions decisions...😉

Reactions: Alex Philips
Well I already have the Y for space n storage so no need for larger sedan. Having said this it's more about want vs need, I guess. I'm sure I would be happy with either 3P or the S. If the 3P had similar interior as the S then it would be no brainer lol. I just feel like the 3 has the same interior as my Y which it does. So the specialness factor may not last. Decisions decisions...😉
Comparing interiors... the 3/Y feel pretty cheap. The S definitely feels a lot more upscale but not top of the class. For me a much nice place to spend time in that the 3/Y and with ever day in the 100's now I take maximum advantage of the cooling seats. I think this was/is a MAJOR miss on the 3/Y platform.

I have to say my kid loves the rear display too to watch vids but sadly we can't split up the sources between front and rear. A major eff up on Tesla's part.

If I could only keep on car of the Tesla's I've had, it would be the S hands down. Just a more premium place to be and still very quick.

I got my Model Y in Jan 2021 and it is the fastest vehicle I've ever owned with a 0-60 of 4.8sec. Since I was coming from a RAM 1500 pickup, it was quite a change but I love driving my Model Y. After 26k miles in Houston heat and bad roads, what I really missed from the RAM were the ventilated seats and overall smoothness, so decided to upgrade to a Model S Plaid. It is currently at PPF installation and hope to get it later this week. Justified it in my head as a midlife crisis since I recently turned 50. :p

I got my Model Y in Jan 2021 and it is the fastest vehicle I've ever owned with a 0-60 of 4.8sec. Since I was coming from a RAM 1500 pickup, it was quite a change but I love driving my Model Y. After 26k miles in Houston heat and bad roads, what I really missed from the RAM were the ventilated seats and overall smoothness, so decided to upgrade to a Model S Plaid. It is currently at PPF installation and hope to get it later this week. Justified it in my head as a midlife crisis since I recently turned 50. :p
Haha nice, I'm in my 50s as well so join the club. The S is what I really desire in a car. Just have to get over the cost difference between that and MP3. I think we all know that it's definitely a step up. Congrats on your Plaid and drive safely and in good health.

Reactions: Alex Philips
We've had 2 Model S (2013 P85+ and 2017 P100D), bought both and sold both. We just got a Model 3 LR. We wanted a smaller car and kinda "over" the thrill of an electric car and going 0-60 (1 time per friend). We live in the city and there's no way we use that speed behind whatever car we're behind in traffic. We tracked both Model S and aren't interested in doing that anymore either. We got a Lotus Evora and Caterham for that hobby and now they sold the track in West Palm Beach. It's time to downsize (monetarily and just in general). We're not driving kids around anymore and also don't need and SUV, nor the larger car. Not to mention that the drivers in Florida are so terrible that we're bound to have an accident and it's too depressing and worrisome in a $100K+ auto.

In conclusion, get whatever you need for now. Life is constantly changing and so will your cars. Have fun and good luck.

Hello all. Currently have a 2021 Model Y LR and plan to give that to my wife. I have a reservation for Model S LR for $100k with EDD of Dec-Feb. While I can afford it, I never purchased a vehicle in that price range and with interest rates slowly climbing, I'm rethinking my decision and considering MP3.
Here are some factors. I work from home and drive about 11k miles a year. While I love MY LR, I never owned a sports car. Test drove both.
Pros to the S were ride quality, better looking, slightly faster acceleration, dual screens and more luxury feel. Cons: more expensive, larger vehicle, higher insurance costs.
Pros to the MP3 were slightly smoother than my MYLR, quick as hell, easier to park n maneuver, lower insurance costs, less expensive.
Cons: relatively same looks as the Y, lots of Model 3's on the roads where I live.

I know this is an apples to oranges comparison. But given my situation, any objective input would be greatly appreciated, so I dont drive my wife crazy going back n forth-:)
Should I cancel the S and get the MP3 now? Or just say YOLO, stay patient and get the S?
Given you asked this question in the MS forum thread, not sure what you were expecting to hear other than confirming that you probably want the S to begin with and simply need some affirmation? Try asking this same question on the Perf M3 thread and compare the 2 for an equal review by both sets of owners!

Both are fantastic cars…can’t go wrong! Owners will swear by both. One thing I will say is the PM3 also has track mode, handles like a point and shoot dart and no dreaded trembling on hard acceleration. The S has been plagued with that issue since it’s creation in 2012. However if it’s comfort, touring and more prestige you prefer, the choice is quite clear :)

The 3 interior feels a bit more S like due to the wood trim extending into the door panels. The drive of the 3 is super fun and can take corners like nothing else!

The S is more premium hands down and a nicer place to be on a daily basis. It really depends on what you prioritize. Is it 2x the car of the 3? Likely not. But your paying for the latest tech, battery, range, looks and style in one gorgeous package.

I’ve owned the prev gen S 100D and P100D and now a 22’ M3 LR /boost. I can say the 3 out drives the S in sheer fun and point/shoot handling dynamics. But it’s bumpier and slightly higher noise db on the highway but not by much.

I do miss the S for the lift gate, looks and dual screens but the 3 is so fun to drive I’ve adapted :)

My latest: (added yoke)
E7784D27-2484-4236-8D09-5A687730EC48.jpeg

C46FB209-18EC-4AB4-9556-AE657ACB442B.jpeg

My previous:

76FCCFC6-44B6-45FE-8E80-7D91A39204AC.jpeg
FF355985-6557-4AD0-9365-0E9C0E328228.jpeg