Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me choose. 2022 Model S or Model 3 Performance??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Currently have a 2021 Model Y LR and plan to give that to my wife. I have a reservation for Model S LR for $100k with EDD of Dec-Feb. While I can afford it, I never purchased a vehicle in that price range and with interest rates slowly climbing, I'm rethinking my decision and considering MP3.
Here are some factors. I work from home and drive about 11k miles a year. While I love MY LR, I never owned a sports car. Test drove both.
Pros to the S were ride quality, better looking, slightly faster acceleration, dual screens and more luxury feel. Cons: more expensive, larger vehicle, higher insurance costs.
Pros to the MP3 were slightly smoother than my MYLR, quick as hell, easier to park n maneuver, lower insurance costs, less expensive.
Cons: relatively same looks as the Y, lots of Model 3's on the roads where I live.

I know this is an apples to oranges comparison. But given my situation, any objective input would be greatly appreciated, so I dont drive my wife crazy going back n forth-:)
Should I cancel the S and get the MP3 now? Or just say YOLO, stay patient and get the S?

Thanks for the input. I too considered trading in MY LR for the new S. However my wife will need another vehicle since she's giving her ICE car to my son. So the logical decision is to keep it and get the S if my patience can last that long.

I had a Model 3P (Stealth) just no comparison with the S. I'd shop around on insurance, S insurance isn't that much more. But might vary by location.
Only you can decide. It's a lot of money for a car. I also had an X. I love the 405 mile range. Since I charge to 80% and prefer not go below 20% I get 243 real miles. And yes they are real because I average about EPA. So I get to pass gas stations and Super Chargers :)

I had also never spent this much on a vehicle, but decided to treat myself for all the years of hard work. After all, we all deserve it right? In any case, I was contemplating the MYP vs MSLR. What really made me go with the S is the much sportier look and the refreshed S version being so much nicer with the wider stance, thick wheels, and updated interior. There are also way too many 3 and Ys out there that I wanted to stand out a bit, but not TOO much as I was also considering the Taycan.

I had also never spent this much on a vehicle, but decided to treat myself for all the years of hard work. After all, we all deserve it right? In any case, I was contemplating the MYP vs MSLR. What really made me go with the S is the much sportier look and the refreshed S version being so much nicer with the wider stance, thick wheels, and updated interior. There are also way too many 3 and Ys out there that I wanted to stand out a bit, but not TOO much as I was also considering the Taycan.
Haha very similar thought process because prior to the 3P I was comparing the refresh S to MYP but soon after realizing that I already own a Y, I decided against it. And you're absolutely correct in treating ourselves. Dont know about you but I'm in my 50s and life is too short to have regrets at this point. All signs point to waiting for the S. For now that is😉

Considered the Taycan as well but the Tesla tech was too much to ignore.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I went through the exact same decision and came to the same conclusion.

... then I upgraded to Plaid hahah

Reactions: Alex Philips
This is a classic case of needing to figure our your wants from your needs from your preferences. None of us can tell you the 'right' answer, as ultimately this comes back to your personal preferences on what you want in a vehicle and your personal trade-off function of value. I think as you're aware the MS LR and M3 Performance are two totally difference cars. Different size, different driving feel and ride quality, etc.

Some will prefer the MS for many of the points you noted and willing to pay the extra price for it. Others will prefer the Model 3, either due to higher price of MS not justified in their minds while some will outright prefer the M3 as a vehicle. I love my mid-2016 MS90D, my wife doesn't like to drive it, too big for her comfort. She'd much prefer a M3 on size alone ... that is if I could ever get her to give up her Honda Civic! Neither of us are right, we just have different preferences (although I still think I'm right that she should give our daughter the Civic and we get wife a Model 3 :) ).

I also can understand your comments about the tough swallow on the price of a MS. That was a big struggle for me, even though we've reached a point in our financial lives where it was nothing about affordability. At the time back in 2016 the $100k price was 2.5 times what I'd ever spent on a new vehicle, and having grown up not having the financial flexibility that I now enjoy, was just a big mental step. I'm fortunate that I have a wife that understands that, and just as she said when I bought my prior toy (a 2000 Honda S2000), " ... it's your decision, get it if you want it, but if you decide not to buy it, I don't ever want to hear about it!", said the exact same thing on my Model 3 after I agonized over the cost for about a month.

Good luck on your decision. Whatever you decide, it's the right decision for you and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new car whichever it is and whenever you get it.

Appreciate the thoughtful response and for understanding my dilemma. And spending that much dough on a vehicle back 2016 was a big leap of faith. So kudos to you. Sounds like you have no regrets. As for me I would be happy with either model but of course the S is the more desirable choice. I have my order in and will take awhile for delivery. So no super rush.

Reactions: Alex Philips
Appreciate the thoughtful response and for understanding my dilemma. And spending that much dough on a vehicle back 2016 was a big leap of faith. So kudos to you. Sounds like you have no regrets. As for me I would be happy with either model but of course the S is the more desirable choice. I have my order in and will take awhile for delivery. So no super rush.
So curious. Do you drive a M3 now or still have your MD 90D?

So curious. Do you drive a M3 now or still have your MD 90D?
I still have my mid-2016 MS90D AP1 vintage which I upgraded to MCU2 last December. Have 68,725 miles on it as of completing about a 250 mile drive today. I do not own a Model 3 or any other Tesla, just this one car. No car is perfect, but I still thoroughly enjoy driving it. It's not a throw it around in the twisties convertible like my Honda S2000 was that I owned for 15 years and was my 'toy' before I bought the MS. The S2000 had gotten to the point where would only get driven about 3,000 miles a year (tough hauling multiple children to high school activities in a 2 seat convertible!). But the Model S is a 12 month a year car with great cargo space for long range trips. Yeah, not quite the functionality of our Honda Odyssey minivan for when traveling with all three grown daughters or helping move their stuff to/from college or moving apartments. But I've driven it to 115 distinct supercharger locations across 18 different states. The Model S would have probably 20k more miles on it at least if were not for the fact that I've been on an international assignment for most of the past 3 years and my car sits in my garage the 75% of the time I'm overseas. But when I am back in the US, like I am right now, I'll find reasons to drive it as much as possible. Like today going for a 250 mile drive to hit three new superchargers 50-100 miles from my home that opened since I was last here.

Enjoy your new car and hope the wait is not too agonizingly long. I know a guy that just got his new MS LR last week after having ordered it a year ago.

I've owned a P85 Model S and a Performance Model 3 and they are really different cars. You'll have to figure out what your needs are...

Short summary:
* Model S: Larger more full size car, not as easy to park in an urban area, great smooth ride, great for road trips, carries more luggage & stuff , more range...

* Model 3: Sportier drive, car feels more connected to the road, better handling, smaller - easier to park, ride not as smooth as S (especially if the 3 has 20" wheels), good for road trips for 2 people (any more than that and it gets crowded with luggage and other stuff you're carrying)...Great car for daily driver, easier to park in small spaces, etc.

Interesting choice and very similar to what I went through thinking about a year ago. Ordered the MYLR and MSLR at the same time. Drove the MY for a for almost a year, added boost about a month into ownership and waited for me S to come.

Long story short, decided to punt the MYLR and were debating what to replace it with once my MSLR was arriving. My wife didn't want. So we were debating between a 3LR and a 3P. So follows a sort of conglomeration of thoughts that might help.

I would never buy the 3P. Just buy the LR with boost. The 3P is just a touch quicker to 60 than an LR with boost and I don't think is worth the extra premium over the base LR. You likely won't want to keep the 20" Ubers anyway. They kill range and super easy to curb.

The MS LR is the same to insure for us at the M3 LR. The MS LR is far more comfortable and I absolutely love the cooled seats and it is a hug miss on the 3. I hate the yoke on the S but bought a wheel to replace it. The mid-range acceleration only takes a back seat to a Plaid. This car does NOT lay down at high speeds like a 3P does.

The hatchback gives you a lot of flexibility. The adjustable suspension is a nice plus. Car is very quiet and truly feels more upscale than the 3.

In the end, if I was driving a lot in the city, in dense traffic, I'd pick the 3. It is a lot more flickable and makes the S and Y feel huge. The S is a very quick and comfy GT car.

In retrospect, I think either the 3 or the S is a much better car. I can't say there has been a single day I miss the Y. It is just too clumsy compared to the 3 and the efficiency is worse than my S. It may turn out to be Tesla's most popular car but I don't think it is their best car.

The current best bang for the buck is the M3 LR w/boost. Mine consistently clocks 3.7 0-60 without a full charge and that is not subtracting rollout so 3.5 if you comparing apples to apples against the 3P. Above about 25 mph, the 3P and 3 LR w/boost are heads up. If you need that little extra jump and want to spend the extra 5k, then maybe think about stepping up the MS LR as it will run the quick 0-60 and still pull very hard up into triple digits.

I don't care as much about this aspect but some do so I'll mention it anyway. You see 3's everywhere, S's not so much so.

So far it has been creating have the 3 and S. My wife absolutely loves the 3 and realized the extra space of the Y wasn't as big of an advantage as car seats still fit easily in the back. I like that the 3 has more legroom than the Y did. She also appreciates the improved efficiency. In similar driving, our S/Y/3 does 275/255/315 Wh/mi. As you can see the Y was even less efficient than the S and vastly worse than our 3.

If I was in your position, I'd be comparing the M3 LR (and adding boost if you decided you needed it) vs the MS LR. You are then looking at about a 42k difference with current pricing. Having owned both, I'd say at that price delta the S isn't a better value. If had to chose now, I'd go with the M3 LR and maybe not even add boost as the car was consistently very low 4's 0-60.

Now if you I am comparing directly in your situation, and dropping the price delta into the 30k range for the M3P vs MS LR, I'd probably drop the extra cash and buy the MS LR. I just don't think the M3P is that good a value with such a big price delta between it and the base LR.

Just some food for thought. If you were closer I'd offer to let you drive them back to back and see for yourself.

In similar driving, our S/Y/3 does 275/255/315 Wh/mi. As you can see the Y was even less efficient than the S and vastly worse than our 3.

I think you have your definition of efficiency backwards or your numbers shown are not in the order of S/Y/3 as you state.

A lower numerical number of Wh/mi is more efficient as this is the amount of energy required to travel 1 mile. For an ICE, this is like saying gallons per mile where a small number is good, not MPG where a larger number is better.

If your numbers are really in the correct sequence, then your Model Y at 255 Wh/mi is the MOST efficient, takes the least amount of energy per mile.
The Model 3 would be the least efficient at 315, with the Model S in the middle.