Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me choose a 19" wheel se

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
So I received my car last week but I am still waiting for my papers and I can't drive the car yet.
Since it only came with 4 summer tires on 4 wheels, I am gonna get me a set of after market wheels.
But offset values / weights and prices got me thinking. I couldn't decide so would appreciate some opinions.
Doesn't even matter if it is just a cosmetic opinion, or a technical opinion.

I will just swap the summer tires onto these rims and put the winter tires onto the old wheels.
Car is a black P90D from 2016.

So I've got below options to choose from:

ATS Racelight Royal Silver - Flow Forged - 8.5J ET34 instead of ET35 Tesla recommends
Flow Forged
10.8kg This is the lightest set among my options.
904 Eur per set
upload_2021-1-26_18-51-42.png

ATS Racelight Racing Black - 8.5J ET34 instead of ET35 Tesla recommends
Flow Forged
10.8kg This is the lightest set among my options.
904 Eur per set
upload_2021-1-26_18-50-1.png

Tomason TN19 Dark Hyperblack Polished 8.5j ET35
(No information if its cast or forged or whatever)
12.5kg (27.5 pounds)
932eur per set
upload_2021-1-26_19-2-35.png

BARRACUDA ULTRALIGHT 3.0 MATT BLACK PURESPORTS MILLED - 8.5J ET42 instead of ET35
11.5kg
Flow forged
1520 eur per set
upload_2021-1-26_18-37-25.png

I like the looks of this one (or the below red version to match the break calipers) the most but due to the different offset, backspace is 150mm instead of 143mm of ET35. And yeah, 42 offset instead of 35 means 20% of a difference. I wouldn't know if that would be a problem?

Red version of the same wheel:
upload_2021-1-26_18-44-54.png

The red version also just gloss black, unfortunately they don't have matte black and red. AND a set of this costs 1900 eur. I am not sure if it's worth it considering I feel like matte black would look nicer and less pimpy on a already full black car?

Help me out guys! :)

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-26_18-44-44.png
    upload_2021-1-26_18-44-44.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 25
  • upload_2021-1-26_18-49-4.png
    upload_2021-1-26_18-49-4.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 23
  • upload_2021-1-26_18-57-35.png
    upload_2021-1-26_18-57-35.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 20
If you're going to go 19" aftermarket I'd be remiss if I didn't mention taking a look at Tsportline offerings. I've been through it and, for my needs and likes, I opted for their 19" Arachnid replicas for several of my Model S now. I especially love that I can select the 21" Arachnids from the Tesla's menu and have my visualizations (in-car and in-app) display a pretty darn close approximation of what my car actually looks like... minus the chrome of course.

Reactions: Rogue Synapse
If you're going to go 19" aftermarket I'd be remiss if I didn't mention taking a look at Tsportline offerings. I've been through it and, for my needs and likes, I opted for their 19" Arachnid replicas for several of my Model S now. I especially love that I can select the 21" Arachnids from the Tesla's menu and have my visualizations (in-car and in-app) display a pretty darn close approximation of what my car actually looks like... minus the chrome of course.

2 problems with that;
- I reside in the Netherlands, and they charge 300 bucks for shipping here and I am not sure if they would arrive in one piece :)
- Also if they are not shipping from an EU country, I would have to pay 21% VAT over the total price aswell :/

I like the first set the best. Black also works on your black car, but is a bit more racy.

I like their look and the fact that they are light wheels aswell.
BUT, I missed a fact..

The load capacity of each of those ATS Racelights is 735kg.
Considering the car is 2670kg, 50% 50% division gives us 667.5kg per wheel.

Travelling with 5 people ~70kg each is 350kg.
Means a 755kg load per wheel which is already above the max load of those wheels.
Or travelling 3 people ~80kg each and luggage of 20kg each is also 300kg, means 742.5kg per wheel.
Load division is not even 50 50 probably so that's also tricky.

Am I miscalculating something and disappointing myself for nothing?
Maybe 2670kg is the max it is rated to be able to carry and its actual weight is 2262 kg?
Am I misinterpreting numbers?
If it is the second calculation, than 735kg is enough..

Last edited:
Yes, I think 2670kg (5874 freedom units) is the GVWR of the vehicle which is its max weight when fully loaded.

I have 20" wheels with a 1725 pound load rating which is within a stone's throw of your wheels' rating. You can still bend/break wheels that well exceed the necessary load rating needed for the car - it's just a reasonable safety measure. You should be fine as long as you're not hauling a yard of gravel in the back or driving over speed bumps at 50 mph.

Reactions: tezcatcatl
Alright thanks!
Just found out that this specific ATS high performance model is not Forged.
It's flowformed. Kind of a combination of casting and forging.

I saw their Superlight model, which is forged and only 7.9kg.
But can't find it on webshops, let alone finding the specific size for our cars..
I wouldn't have guessed that it would be so hard for me to decide on some goddamn wheels :D

upload_2021-1-27_16-12-59.png

Forged is better (lighter, stronger) but not really a requirement for a wheel that's safe to drive on, especially in 19" size. You could make the case that 21" or 22" wheels should always be forged as there is very little sidewall to cushion the blow from potholes. Many people with the stock 21" turbine wheels have bent or cracked at least one.

My 20" wheels are "flow formed" as well and are a pound less than the stock 19" wheels. I have only driven on them for about 3k miles, but I've hit some potholes and I'm good so far. New forged wheels were too expensive for my budget.

Have you considered 20" wheels? I feel they are the best compromise between aesthetics, handling, weight, strength, and cost.

Reactions: tezcatcatl
Forged is better (lighter, stronger) but not really a requirement for a wheel that's safe to drive on, especially in 19" size. You could make the case that 21" or 22" wheels should always be forged as there is very little sidewall to cushion the blow from potholes. Many people with the stock 21" turbine wheels have bent or cracked at least one.

My 20" wheels are "flow formed" as well and are a pound less than the stock 19" wheels. I have only driven on them for about 3k miles, but I've hit some potholes and I'm good so far. New forged wheels were too expensive for my budget.

Have you considered 20" wheels? I feel they are the best compromise between aesthetics, handling, weight, strength, and cost.

I looked them up and saw some people mentioning the car getting confused so didn't dig further.
And because of that didn't look into 20" wheel options.
Maybe I should but I wonder why Tesla doesn't come up with 20" wheels for Model S, knowing all these occasional rubbing and cracking / bending issues with 21's.

Oh and one other reason is that the car came with quite new Michelin Pilot Sports in 245/45/19 size.. So If I go 20", I also need to buy 20" tires. Whereas 19" I only would need wheels as I already bought winter tires. Once I eat up the tread of the tires, when it is time to replace them, I might consider selling the original 19" wheels and buy another replica set of 20" with tires on them.

Maybe Tesla feels a 20" wheel is not a big enough "upgrade" for people to choose them as an option. The Tesla arachnid 21" wheels are reportedly quite strong and light, but they are especially pricey from Tesla at $6k.

Some people just use the 20" wheels from the Model X on their S. The tires need to be changed, but the wheels fit and are the same design as the 19" slipstreams that came on the refreshed S for a few years.

Hmmh maybe maybe.
To be honest I only like the Arachnids from Tesla wheels. The rest don't appeal to me..
And here we only have the turbines as replica.
That's why I am looking into aftermarket designs.

I used ATS on my BMW E90 and had road hypnosis while going 90km/h and entering a curve during a 2750km trip. Wheel had a direct hit to the metal safety border thingy at the side of the road. Tie rod was bent due to the impact. That wheel took me 1000 kilometers further and finished the trip. I got the car fixed and it also brought me back 2750 kilometers. I am still using that wheel :D