Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me convince my company to install some chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm about to reach out to my company's facilities manager to request/suggest/beg for installation of some electric car chargers. :cool:

So far I have the following arguments for this initiative:
  1. Much like the complimentary car wash service, this would be an overall morale booster for the employees.
  2. Company gets to tout their green/environmentally-friendly initiatives to the world.
I do also mention (in my email draft) some government-sponsored grant/tax break programs to help the the associated costs. But I'd like to come up with more reasons to do it, other than the two I've already came up with.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD and SW2Fiddler
So I'm about to reach out to my company's facilities manager to request/suggest/beg for installation of some electric car chargers. :cool:

1. Much like the complimentary car wash service, this would be an overall morale booster for the employees.
  2. Company gets to tout their green/environmentally-friendly initiatives to the world.
I do also mention (in my email draft) some government-sponsored grant/tax break programs to help the the associated costs. But I'd like to come up with more reasons to do it, other than the two I've already came up with.

Thanks in advance.
My work is actually limited to the number of carbon vehicles allowed and carpooling or ride sharing is highly encouraged. A zero emissions vehicle serves the same purpose, and installing charges encourages this.

This is a military base in California.

Reactions: fallen888

Thanks in advance.

Hi, hmmm is there any chance customers might visit? and if so, then pitch that having charging available to them is a big plus as well. Good luck, it's a noble quest! Hope it turns out well.

• Helpful
Here is the sales pitch from the ChargePoint website:

"EV charging gives you the power to enhance your business by attracting employees, customers and residents. Plus, you can differentiate your business, build a green image and much more."

The best case I could make is that it is actually pretty cheap to do which makes it an easy employee perk to add. Your only trouble might be if no other employees have electric cars. If you know of others with EVs and can request as a group it will help. I think my office only has 7 people signed-up, but we have 4 charging stations. For my company I think it was mostly about going green and trying to encourage EV use, so I am not sure if any employees had EVs when they originally installed the chargers here.

Hi, hmmm is there any chance customers might visit? and if so, then pitch that having charging available to them is a big plus as well. Good luck, it's a noble quest! Hope it turns out well.

Excellent idea! Yes, we do have clients visiting sometimes. Thanks.

Maybe reach out to Tesla and ask? Maybe they have an official letter already built that they use to speak to companies.

Good idea, I just emailed them. Thanks.

I got a quick response, so that's nice...

"Hi Konstantin,

Appreciate you reaching out. We have actually discussed this in the past, and we can certainly revisit it. I’ll look into it with *** Leadership and the building owner and see what the feedback is.

Best Regards"

So I'm surely not holding my breath, but we'll see.. I'll try to stay optimistic.

I think it always makes a nice impression with Facilities and management if you offer to pay for the electricity that you use for charging. Otherwise it can look like you're just asking for a freebie, and then it might get wait-listed with several other employee perk or benefit type projects...

Reactions: KJD
pretty cheap to do

not sure about that. We had to dig up the access road and car park to put in cables from the electrify distribution point. In our case we already had a 3-phase supply (which is probably a bit unusual in UK, although won't be for large companies) but if not there is probably an issue with several cars charging at once. Increasing a supply, here in UK, from single to 3-phase is massive expensive (monopoly sky-high charges)

not sure about that. We had to dig up the access road and car park to put in cables from the electrify distribution point. In our case we already had a 3-phase supply (which is probably a bit unusual in UK, although won't be for large companies) but if not there is probably an issue with several cars charging at once. Increasing a supply, here in UK, from single to 3-phase is massive expensive (monopoly sky-high charges)

This is fair. The upfront cost is the worst part, but on-going cost is very, very small. I work for a very large corporation so in the scheme of things for them it was considered very minimal.

Worth pointing out to the landlord that having charging points in the parking lot is a long-term perk of the property. If your company ever leaves, the charging point (well, the wires going to the parking spaces) will remain a valuable asset to the landlord and may help convince other tenants to move into the building.

Since the main cost is just running the wires to the parking spots, the landlord needs to be convinced that this capital improvement will retain its value. It totally will.