Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: 2017 Model S 75D (or 90D) vs 2018 Model 3 performance

Apprunner

Jul 2, 2019
So-cal
Two words....Track Mode. Only the MP3 has it and its an absolute must if you do any track days. Model S is ridiculously limited on high speed runs. It putters out after a lap or two making it a worthless track car.

augkuo

Apr 24, 2011
Berkeley
  • E92 M3
  • BMW Active hybrid
  • Porsche 911S (997 generation)
  • BMW i3
  • Porsche Boxster S
The Model 3 Performance is probably closer to what you've driven than a Model S - think of a Model S as a BMW 7 series or
a Mercedes Benz S class. The Model 3 Performance will definitely out-handle the Model S and has the latest technology.

Reactions: Punjabi510

Zcd1

Sep 2, 2018
Walloon Lake, MI / LaQuinta, CA
Wow, I'm curious how comfortable you find the 3 compared to the Audi you had? Doesn't the harsh ride and cabin noise bother you?

I'm actually considering giving up my S to move to an A7...

My last car was an Audi S6. The 3P is firmer, but never harsh. It's quieter around town, but noisier on the highway. I enjoyed the S6, but overall prefer the Model 3P, despite the fact that the 3 was nearly $30K less expensive.

Reactions: cucubits

jimtelsa

Mar 31, 2013
Simi Valley
I have to still say Model S
The ergonomics are better than the 3 for me
Cant get use to the screen in the middle, i need my additional screen right in front of me
I have driven all models of the 3, its a different car, smaller lighter and quick. Ride is rougher than the S
I love the Stop mode. Regen was taken away and I hope to get the update where it brings some back
I probably will move someday to another Tesla, But Im not ready to give up the S yet.
You have to test drive both models
Each has a different ride
My model S has free maps and Supercharging
PS my son has a Model 3 and I drive this at least once a week, again its a great car, just not for me.
Thanks tesla for awesome choices
Once you go electric your dont go back

BJD3388

Jan 17, 2018
Los Angeles
As a household with both these cars in the stable, I'd say in your situation with the car being your only vehicle, for sure go for the Model S.

First, the S has a bit more "Gravitas". As someone said above, it is like a BMW 7 Series vs a 3 Series. If you only have one car in the household and need to go to a business event, wedding, reunion, etc., I think the S is the better choice.

The main, overwhelming reason I would choose the S is its huge cargo capacity. The fold-down seats combined with the hatchback allow you to carry and load almost anything. It's almost like an SUV. Need to carry a mattress, Christmas Tree, 5 Suitcases, etc. it's no problem in the S. The 3 can get a bit tight and the trunk opening is tiny (compared to the S's huge opening).

ljbad4life

Nov 6, 2009
Honestly, If this is your only car, get the car with the most range. FSD (which I paid for and just got the computer upgrade installed), it's not really worth buying right now. EAP is worth it. FSD.. not so much. You can always buy it later.

I was in the same boat as you when I went for my 3. I could have bought a 75D. 90D was pushing the budget a bit.

The model S-

- has far more storage room
-Is a larger car
-Less headroom than the 3 (I thought I was crazy when I had the model s loaner, but cars.com backs me up)
In a straight line the Model S is a blast, but come to the corners, it handles well, but its size and heft let themselves beknown. I wouldn't classify the S as a "driver's car"(the performance models are a different story).
-Air suspension is nice, but I've had some bad experiences with air suspension once the warranty was up.
-A new Model s powertrain is in the works, which makes buying now... less than optimal
-The Model S even with the raven drivetrain still reduces power if it's on the track for a long time.

Model 3

-sedan, confined trunk (but still a huge trunk by ice standards)
-Lighter and nimbler in cornering and handling
-More range for less money
-chargers faster than any model s
-you can track the performance model 3.

You can even buy the LR AWD Model 3 then have it upgraded later to performance.

Apprunner

Jul 2, 2019
So-cal
Honestly, If this is your only car, get the car with the most range. FSD (which I paid for and just got the computer upgrade installed), it's not really worth buying right now. EAP is worth it. FSD.. not so much. You can always buy it later.

I was in the same boat as you when I went for my 3. I could have bought a 75D. 90D was pushing the budget a bit.

The model S-

- has far more storage room
-Is a larger car
-Less headroom than the 3 (I thought I was crazy when I had the model s loaner, but cars.com backs me up)
In a straight line the Model S is a blast, but come to the corners, it handles well, but its size and heft let themselves beknown. I wouldn't classify the S as a "driver's car"(the performance models are a different story).
-Air suspension is nice, but I've had some bad experiences with air suspension once the warranty was up.
-A new Model s powertrain is in the works, which makes buying now... less than optimal
-The Model S even with the raven drivetrain still reduces power if it's on the track for a long time.

Model 3

-sedan, confined trunk (but still a huge trunk by ice standards)
-Lighter and nimbler in cornering and handling
-More range for less money
-chargers faster than any model s
-you can track the performance model 3.

You can even buy the LR AWD Model 3 then have it upgraded later to performance.

You cannot make the AWD version a performance. You can get boost mode to get 0-60 to about 3.5 seconds, but the Performance model does it in 3 seconds and has track mode which enables cooling for longer track days without overheating.

• Informative
Reactions: ljbad4life

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC