Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: 2019 Model 3 performance vs 2017 Model S 75D (or 90D)

2019 Model 3 performance vs 2017 Model S 75D

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned all of the above cars except the boxster.

Stay away from the 997 generation 911. These cars, especially the electronics, are getting extremely dated. Build quality was not great (interior switch gear) considering the cost of the vehicle and they require alot of maintenance especially the higher milage cars available for sale now. Although I did all my own maintenance Porsche parts prices are still high. Expect 18 mpg max and replacing the clutch at best every 40K miles.

The e92 is a great car. Require relatively little maintenance compared to the Porsche. Comfort is great for a car with such performance. Gas costs will be high but an overall a fantastic choice. The e90 has more usable rear seats. In the end, not autopilot.

The i3 is a no brainer. No autopilot and terrible electric range. No matter how low the prices get it is not a good choice considering the price of the standard Model 3.

MS 75 is a great car. Good range, great comfort and interior space. The only reason I got rid of this car was to get a P100D.

We currently own a LR M3 and a P100D. For the price of the M3P today its really a hard choice to falt.

I see that you have a 2020 X5 - this was a car that I shortlisted. How would you say the two cars compare in terms of comfort and build quality?
I really like the X5, great car with a beautiful interior. I ordered the Individual Merino leather ventilated sport seats, 22" M wheels, M brakes plus just about everything else. Unfortunately I hardly ever drive the car and it has just over 1,000 miles. I prefer driving our Teslas even though the cars are not built as well and don’t have as nice of interiors. The Tesla electric drive is just so much nicer and the user interface is also much simpler in the Tesla. The BMW feels much more solid though.

Reactions: SilverGS
The build quality of the 3 is great in some spots and pretty lousy in others. The S is solid and soft-touch in almost all areas, it feels more luxurious IMO. I found the S pretty fun to drive on my test drive but the 3 is probably more agile because of its size. Similar to comparing the BMW 3-Series and 7-Series, except the Model S is much more practical than the 7-Series.

The S has nicer parts but it has its own build quality issues. Do not confuse the quality of the materials with how well they are designed or out together. Overall the S is better assembled but it has plenty of expensive repair issues. Both my S and 3 have had many expensive repairs.

I really like the X5, great car with a beautiful interior. I ordered the Individual Merino leather ventilated sport seats, 22" M wheels, M brakes plus just about everything else. Unfortunately I hardly ever drive the car and it has just over 1,000 miles. I prefer driving our Teslas even though the cars are not built as well and don’t have as nice of interiors. The Tesla electric drive is just so much nicer and the user interface is also much simpler in the Tesla. The BMW feels much more solid though.

I can imagine that it feels solid, from what I've heard it's as nice as a 7-Series. That said though, driving an X3 and Model S back to back I think that the S is a bit more solid and feels nicer. The X3 has too many rattly parts and the "soft-touch" materials, while plentiful, feel too grainy while the soft-touch materials on the S are softer and smoother. The X3 also has more scratchy plastic. The X5 is a great car but in Europe I'd spend way more on it and I'd get a car with 340hp vs 825hp on the S.

Because the rate of depreciation of the Brand new Model 3 will be MUCH higher over the next 2-4 years, than rate of depreciation of the used Model S.

LOL what. thats like saying a 2003 Bentley is financially speaking a better deal than a 2020 Corolla because the rate of depreciation. Is it though? Maybe if you are trying to flip the car in a year or two you will lose less on the bentley, but its not a better financial reason to buy it over a 2020 corolla thats built newer and better (more reliable) higher mpg (less energy waste) with a longer warranty is definitely still the better financial buy.

LOL what. thats like saying a 2003 Bentley is financially speaking a better deal than a 2020 Corolla because the rate of depreciation. Is it though? Maybe if you are trying to flip the car in a year or two you will lose less on the bentley, but its not a better financial reason to buy it over a 2020 corolla thats built newer and better (more reliable) higher mpg (less energy waste) with a longer warranty is definitely still the better financial buy.

No. I simply stated facts.
A brand new car depreciates at its highest rates from years 1-3.

simple math.

Reactions: X Fan