Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Decide Between Long Range and Performance

MikeyC

Aug 19, 2019
Florida
Please explain to me how a car with 14% more kinetic energy can stop in the same distance.

If a car has X% more mass and thus X% more kinetic energy, I think people are counting on the friction between the tires and road surface also increasing by X%: due to the increased mass pressing the tires onto the road. I think what gets lost here in these "all else being equal" scenarios is that I don't think tires perform equally or have the same coefficient of friction when they heat up more due to the increased weight and deform differently under different weight. I think in reality, more mass will result in a slightly longer braking distance, but it won't be the full X%. And in some situations, depending on tire compound, tread, and road surface, braking distances may be shorter with more weight... up to a point... and then get longer once you pass some optimal weight for the tires/road, at which point the braking distances start getting longer again if you keep adding more and more weight. Like a bell curve.

I just don't know how "pointy" that peak on the bell curve would be. It helps to think in extremes. If you think about it, if you have very little weight at all (say 10 pounds distributed across 4 tires), the rubber on the tires wouldn't deform and "squish" down into the nooks and crannies of the pavement and your contact patch would be reduced: your tires would basically be riding only on the microscopic peaks of the rough road. And on the other side where you've added a massive weight, say 20,000 pounds, the rubber in the tires will get so hot from the friction that the rubber would just melt. Somewhere in between would be the peak of the bell curve.

Mike

ogmios

Apr 29, 2021
Denmark
Hello everyone,

It took a while for me to get back here, and certainly a while longer to read through the entire discussion around which car breaks faster :D. Pretty impressive what these Tesla forums can turn to.

In the meantime I have done 2 test drives, one with the performance model and one with the LR model. Although I do love speed and making driving a bit more fun than the average person, the difference in acceleration between the 2 is not really making it up for me. I definitely like the meaner look of the Performance, but I think it is possible to give the LR almost the same with a bit of custom tweaks.

That being said, the LR felt more comfortable (it had the 18" on), and while you could change the 20"s on P too, it's still an added cost. Then again, the LR can get the Acceleration Boost, and get somewhat closer to that 3,3 probably for a somewhat similar cost for buying smaller wheels for the P.

Personally, the added range (for the Q2 model) and the smaller price made me choose the LR model. Will be ordering it for Q3 delivery, and now going into that period where I am like a kid waiting for the candy to be delivered :D.

Thanks a lot to all those who helped me get more informed into my decision.

/OG

Ofarlig

Mar 4, 2018
Sweden
Hello everyone,

It took a while for me to get back here, and certainly a while longer to read through the entire discussion around which car breaks faster :D. Pretty impressive what these Tesla forums can turn to.

In the meantime I have done 2 test drives, one with the performance model and one with the LR model. Although I do love speed and making driving a bit more fun than the average person, the difference in acceleration between the 2 is not really making it up for me. I definitely like the meaner look of the Performance, but I think it is possible to give the LR almost the same with a bit of custom tweaks.

That being said, the LR felt more comfortable (it had the 18" on), and while you could change the 20"s on P too, it's still an added cost. Then again, the LR can get the Acceleration Boost, and get somewhat closer to that 3,3 probably for a somewhat similar cost for buying smaller wheels for the P.

Personally, the added range (for the Q2 model) and the smaller price made me choose the LR model. Will be ordering it for Q3 delivery, and now going into that period where I am like a kid waiting for the candy to be delivered :D.

Thanks a lot to all those who helped me get more informed into my decision.

/OG

Congrats! The acceleration boost makes a big difference, will most likely buy it day one on my new 3 (like I did with the old one). Together that makes the LR the best choice for me, close to the same performance but a lot more comfort.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC