Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Decide Between Long Range and Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the market for a new car since trade in values are little higher than usual and tesla offered me what I would consider fair for my '19 Camaro 2SS.

Today I test drove a model 3 long range because they didn't have a performance version at the store. I liked everything about that long range version. Ride, handling, features etc. But I wasn't really sold on it. Coming from a 455hp car with 0-60 4sec it just didn't feel any faster than my camaro. However this is all based off my butt dyno.

After coming back to store they let me test drive a Model Y performance version and long story short I can tell I am very sold on it. Also, I know that Model 3 performance will be even faster than Model Y performance.

So here is my question: is Model 3 performance actually worth it? There is like $10k difference ($48k vs $58k) between LR vs P. Do you guys think Performance is $10k better than Long Range?

I mean I would enjoy taking mustangs, challengers, chargers to gapplebess but trading off 40 miles range and paying that extra money make me think about it.

Also I was told performance version's real world mileage is less than advertised 315 miles. Is this correct? Could anyone give me their inputs about real world ranges on both performance and long range versions? This will be my daily driver in Ohio. So the car will definitely will see sub 32degress and snow.

Im waiting for mine to arrive and ill let you know if they work as advetised/tested.

Noah at Fast Wheels EV01(+) for Tesla Model 3 Wheels 18 has provided me great customer service throught the selection process.

I think you could get a counterproof on range if you asked what the range hit for M3LR drivers with 20" wheels are like, though Im inclined to believe the people above.

that said, to get to that range bogey in a M3P means stacking an addional 2-3K onto the price for new wheels and tires. Thats your money and your call, though I cant say Ive ever been sad buying a top trim model, but have been bummed when I didnt. YMMV

Thanks for the advice. As luck would have it, earlier today I stumbled upon a new LR AWD in inventory in the exact color combo I want. I immediately ordered that car and canceled my M3 P order (which caused me to eat the $250 deposit - GRR!). My car is going to be delivered early next week, instead of in a month or more.

Thanks for the advice. As luck would have it, earlier today I stumbled upon a new LR AWD in inventory in the exact color combo I want. I immediately ordered that car and canceled my M3 P order (which caused me to eat the $250 deposit - GRR!). My car is going to be delivered early next week, instead of in a month or more.
It's worth the $250 to get it earlier. You came out ahead, my friend. Such a great car!

Same thing happened to me. Except a day after the 2nd order they said they were able to expedite the original order because they had someone nearby that cancelled prior to delivery haha.....

It's a little frustrating that they won't refund the $250 deposit. The Tesla guy who was helping me search for an inventory car said if I had called him and asked him to "transfer" the deposit to the new car, it would've been no problem. But inventory cars are being snatched up so quickly, I didn't want to risk losing this one in the 5 minutes that would've taken. I'm having a hard time seeing the difference between "transferring" the deposit, and ordering an inventory car, then cancelling my original order - all within about 5 minutes.

Thanks to all who spent their time posting on this thread! I just order my LR with Aero Wheels today! I really really really wanted to pull the trigger on the Performance, but I decided that this is a great way for me to enter into a first time EV and still get the fun of driving a Model 3. I commute 42-50 miles one way to work Monday through Friday and can charge from home. I just sold my 14 Focus ST and I'm ready to stop spending gas on one of our vehicles. My wife's car is a 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition. I intend to do some small upgrades over time like the CF spoiler and wheels. I would be interested in lowering it to Performance height and would love a recommendation on which setup to go with. (BTW, previous Honda Fit owner and used to own a 2000 Nissan Sentra with custom turbo setup (258 whp). This would be the fastest car I've ever driven and owned!

Thanks again, guys! Lots of reading, but well worth it!

Thanks to all who spent their time posting on this thread! I just order my LR with Aero Wheels today! I really really really wanted to pull the trigger on the Performance, but I decided that this is a great way for me to enter into a first time EV and still get the fun of driving a Model 3. I commute 42-50 miles one way to work Monday through Friday and can charge from home. I just sold my 14 Focus ST and I'm ready to stop spending gas on one of our vehicles. My wife's car is a 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition. I intend to do some small upgrades over time like the CF spoiler and wheels. I would be interested in lowering it to Performance height and would love a recommendation on which setup to go with. (BTW, previous Honda Fit owner and used to own a 2000 Nissan Sentra with custom turbo setup (258 whp). This would be the fastest car I've ever driven and owned!

Thanks again, guys! Lots of reading, but well worth it!
Good choice. With M3 LR you will have more motivation to start saving for MS Plaid. ;)

Reactions: Stan930