Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Decide Between Long Range and Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The difference in range between the Performance and the AWD LR is due entirely to tires. An AWD LR with powerboost will getting exactly the same range as one without, the only difference is the amount of current that they will dump into the motors when you floor it, if you want the range drive it like a sane person, when you want acceleration then stop on it but know that will cost you energy.

Are you planning to race the car? The big difference between the P and the AWD are the brakes. For normal driving the objective is to never use the friction brakes, do almost everything with regen braking so bigger friction brakes have no value, on the track you can use better braking.

Well that's a bummer. I would be getting Performance version range without the performance lol.

Techna Bronze Titan 7 T-S5 wheels look great on that blue tesla in the pictures from your website. I like the stance of the car too. Are those wheels 19" or 20"? Any spacers or lowering kit?
My commute is about 40 miles roundtrip and I drive to bigger cities maybe few times a month. That's usually around 60-70 miles one way. I don't have any range anxiety yet but I am concerned about winter months. From what I gather you can lose up to 40% range in the cold weather? Winter months are usually in 10s and 20s around here.

I am probably going to install Tesla Wall Connector in my garage. I am waiting for the electrician come and give me a quote.
Well... the good thing is you mentioned you want to use your stock set up as dedicated winters. So the range will be consistent whether you're in a performance or non-performance for that matter.

Those bronze Titan 7 on the demo car is 19x9 +35 on 255/40/19 Michelin PS4S tires. That car is lowered.
I just placed an order for a client on this exact set up, I'll post some more photos soon.

Danny

Alright fellas I appreciate everybody's input. I placed my order for a blue long range with black interior. I will most likely purchase that $2k boost as well after taking delivery.

Now my plan is keep the Aero wheels and mount some snow tires on them maybe blizzaks? And get a set of nice looking 19" rims and possibly lower the car as well.

Now my question is mounting 19" wheels with stock width tires(PS4S) going to affect the range? On the tesla configurator page when I select 19" sport wheels the range doesn't change. So I assume difference in the range is negligible?
TWINSIES. I have exactly that car, but I haven’t sprung for AB yet. I’ve loved it. 0 buyer’s remorse.

The range question is hard to answer, in part because the PS4S will have different rolling resistance than the tires as-tested. The 19s also add some extra unsprung weight that will affect range. If you search here, you might find someone with the same setup who can report consumption figures. Ultimately your driving habits will affect range much, much more than your choice of tire. And unless you frequently take long road trips, range isn’t a big deal anyway.

So in theory, can Model 3P have more range if I put 18inch aero wheels during winter with snow tires? That I will get some range back and it will offset the lost range because of cold weather. Not sure if those wheels will fit because of bigger brakes maybe with spacers?
Aftermarket wheels from several sources make 28" that clear the Brembo brakes. I chose T-Sportline for mine. For my own preferences I wanted the full Performance version but did not want the 20" road hazards and high tire wear. I'm happy. I sold the 20" for enough to pay for the 18" so all was fine for me.

Is it worth it? It isn't rational, but the emotions are worth it for me. Only you can decide.

True, although you don't really take a big hit until you get down to about 50%. From Bjorn Nyland's testing (0-100 KPH, worst case w/cold battery):

90%: 3.67
80%: 3.68
70%: 3.64
60%: 4.00
50%: 4.22
40%: 4.69
30%: 5.73
20%: 9.07
10%: 14.65

Edit: above numbers were from a 2021 with heat pump. These next numbers are from a 2019:

90%: 3.77
80%: 3.63
70%: 3.70
60%: 3.68
50%: 3.71
40%: 3.84
30%: 3.90
20%: 4.01
10%: 5.59

Ref:

Mike
Point is that for a person who's consideration is horsepower, in a Pareto chart of 'biggest shocks' the reduction of horsepower as the "gas tank" is getting empty is going to high on the list for a new EV owner. Plus, 0-60 times mask the real impact of SoC and performance. Up to 60, it's pretty close. Beyond that the difference is more noticeable.

Tesla-Model-3-P3D-SOC-Dyno-Test.png

TWINSIES. I have exactly that car, but I haven’t sprung for AB yet. I’ve loved it. 0 buyer’s remorse.

The range question is hard to answer, in part because the PS4S will have different rolling resistance than the tires as-tested. The 19s also add some extra unsprung weight that will affect range. If you search here, you might find someone with the same setup who can report consumption figures. Ultimately your driving habits will affect range much, much more than your choice of tire. And unless you frequently take long road trips, range isn’t a big deal anyway.
Not necessarily true.
Weight does matter, but not as much as you think compared to rolling resistance and tire compound.

Additionally, a quality set of wheels such as fully forged Titan 7s will weigh less than factory wheels that are both smaller in diameter and in width.

18x8.5 Aeros = 21.6lbs with covers off.

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 11.46.29 AM.png

19x9 Titan 7 TS-5 = 20.2lbs
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 11.46.40 AM.png

Danny

So here is my question: is Model 3 performance actually worth it?
I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but I'm sure you're going to get a ton of responses recommending both cars.

FWIW, here's my two cents worth...

Given the type of car you're coming from, the Model 3 Performance is going to give you the upgrade in straight line (and even the curves) performance over your current ride that you're looking for.

IMO, you'll end up with buyer's remorse going for the LR AWD, even if you buy the Acceleration Boost option, as you'll wonder every day, "what if...".

As I'm sure you know, Teslas have done well in terms of value depreciation, with the Model 3 Performance besting the rest of the Model 3 line, with the possible exception of the unicorn single motor LR.

I have the "Stealth" Model 3 Performance, and approaching the two year mark, I have zero regrets.

I’ve had an M3P for a year now. I love it. Nothing beats you when it comes to the traffic light Grand Prix.

If speed is your priority. You won’t regret it.

A car purchase is a case of balancing the financial against the emotional. If you can bring yourself to pay for the extra smiles and accept the range limitation, go for it.

Point is that for a person who's consideration is horsepower, in a Pareto chart of 'biggest shocks' the reduction of horsepower as the "gas tank" is getting empty is going to high on the list for a new EV owner. Plus, 0-60 times mask the real impact of SoC and performance. Up to 60, it's pretty close. Beyond that the difference is more noticeable.

View attachment 654325

Interesting. On one hand, it's not ideal to have your car slow down at lower SOC. On the other, it's good to see that you retain over 90% of the torque down to 60% SOC. Even at 45% SOC, you're still getting 85% of your max torque. It's worth noting that an ICE won't lose any power based on fuel in the tank but they will be slower with a full tank (around 3-4%) which is the opposite of an EV.

Mike

View attachment 654325
On the plus side, if you live somewhere that doesn't always get nice mine shaft air we're still consistent. 6k DA? Don't care, sucks to suck if you're on pump gas in 80% humidity and 90 degrees.

You are right about 0-60 performance of pony cars. Getting consistent their rated 0-60 requires a lot of work.

Now I am more interested in LR with $2k boost. So if I purchase that do I still have 350 miles range + 0-60 3.6 sec?
Teslike.com is a good resource to get an idea of what you can expect for range out of the box based on trim and tires in real world conditions.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I was at the same cross roads. Was debating to either get LR with boost or P. Got the P. I didn’t want to keep thinking “what if”. I’m so happy I did. If your finances permit, I would go for the P and never look back.

I’m not anal about range. I drive it as like any other car. Well, not really. I’m having too much fun overtaking mustangs, Camaros etc. but I don’t care how much range I “destroy” when I floor it. My daily drive to work is 75 miles round trip. I just get home, plug it into Tesla wall charger and couple hours later I have a “full tank of gas” again. Combine that with solar panels on my roof, I get free charge every day.

Reactions: Phlier
You will never have 350 range because you'll be enjoying the acceleration too much and be flooring it at every opportunity....oh wait, that's me.

:) Maybe it's early in ownership for me but I find that 1/3 throttle is enough to make me shake my head in disbelief so I rarely floor it. A couple weeks ago a kid pulled up next to me first at a light in a Mazda 3 with a fart can muffler. I looked over and he and his GF were eyeballing my car and smiling. The light turned green and I heard the telltale flatulence from his car so I barely touched the throttle to stay side-by-side for about 2 seconds. Then I just pressed it about 1/3 throttle and he instantly disappeared in my rearview like he hit a wall. ;) I stopped accelerating at the speed limit (50) and I could see him stick his arm out the window with a thumbs up. If he only knew... I was at 1/3 throttle. :D

Mike

Was debating to either get LR with boost or P. Got the P. I didn’t want to keep thinking “what if”. I’m so happy I did. If your finances permit, I would go for the P and never look back.
I guess that works for some people, but for me, I never want the performance version. I travel long distances and want as much mileage per charge that I can get. Not a matter of finances for me. It's a matter of range. My performance days are far behind me :) And according to my insurance agent, it cost me less to insure.

And... if you get the performance boost, your insurance agent will never know. ;)

Mike
Wife says they will know when you crash and have a claim and they check status of the car. She's processed over 800 auto claims over the years. Then you run the risk of a problem. Bottom line though is I don't care about performance, much less doing things with the car that the insurance company doesn't know about. ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White