Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Decide Between Long Range and Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoken like a true bench racer, I'll remember these excuses to look out for from my next kills. 😂

"Come on babe, we both know my car is way faster in -3k DA. The road had some dirt on it and I didn't shift fast enough. Now lets go to DQ and get that victory sundae."
I don't street race because I'm not 18. Try discussing the the topic instead of your personal "kills" and ventures.

Did you watch the side mirror? He was pulling at 60 mph. By the time he got to 100, he was way ahead. This wasn’t remotely close.
When the filming vehicle (Mercedes) was at 60mph, the Tesla was likely already at 70, 75, hence why it was still separating.

Because they started at 30mph. In the speed regime where Tesla has a huge advantage.

This fact is not disputed. This branch of the conversation started with a claim about "at highway speeds". Meaning start at 60, 65, 70 (whatever highway speeds are to you) and measure from there.

Some of you guys in this thread have been rational and reasonable. I'm disappointed, but not surprised, at the late-comers who respond as if an objective discussion is a direct offense on their Tesla worship.

Get the performance or you will regret it with the LR AWD. You WILL down the line sell it back for the performance! I own a 2019 LR AWD and bought the acceleration boost and I still regret not getting performance. I just placed order for M3P over the weekend and will be getting some 18 wheels and nice tires and be done with mods. The difference between LR AWD and performance is noticeable. With the P I test drove I can feel the G, with the LR + AB I cannot.

When the filming vehicle (Mercedes) was at 60mph, the Tesla was likely already at 70, 75, hence why it was still separating.

Because they started at 30mph. In the speed regime where Tesla has a huge advantage.

This fact is not disputed. This branch of the conversation started with a claim about "at highway speeds". Meaning start at 60, 65, 70 (whatever highway speeds are to you) and measure from there.

Some of you guys in this thread have been rational and reasonable. I'm disappointed, but not surprised, at the late-comers who respond as if an objective discussion is a direct offense on their Tesla worship.
I was talking objectively about the Performance vs. other cars in the segment. No Tesla worship here as I've had other performance vehicles. Its pathetic that you resort to telling people that they worship Tesla because they disagree with you :rolleyes: Below is another Youtube of a 60 roll where it again pulls on the 5.0L Mustang. Happy now?

Reactions: NinjaFoot
How exactly do you get the acceleration boost? Is it just a support request to Tesla?

It's in the Tesla app under "Upgrades". You check the box, confirm you want to buy it, you lose $2k and gain the acceleration boost: it has to download... I bought it and didn't use the car for a few hours after I bought it and by the time I drove it, it was already there. You can confirm that it installed via butt dyno but you can also check the driving mode: it'll change from Chill/Standard to Chill/Sport.

Mike

On the topic of roll racing, I don't race on the street so I have no experience there (although I've seen plenty of YT videos). What I can personally relate to is racing on the dragstrip. What typically happens is the two car lanes get stalled when they run bikes or Jr. Dragsters so drivers get out of their cars, check out other cars, talk to each other, etc. It was pretty common for the latest gen muscle cars to line up with one another so I raced plenty of 5.0 Mustangs and SS Camaros. I beat all the stock ones in my Challenger but the closest were the Camaro SS's that I'd usually just beat by a nose.

I'd run a 12.25 @ 113 on a bad run and 12.15 @ 114 on a good run. The Mustangs were running about 12.4 @ 110. The Camaro SS 12.2 to 12.3 @ 113.

Both the M3P and LR AWD + boost trap between 115 and 116 at 11.6 to 11.8. That means that at 115 MPH, none of the mainstream muscle cars of similar power are even gaining on the Model 3 yet.

Mike

If you still need justification for performance, use the twisted logic I had planned to use if my wife hadn’t been so thrilled with the performance acceleration. It is simply: once autopilot/FSD logic gets capable enough, I would expect the car to be able to accelerate out of bad situations...even if you are doing the driving. Let’s say you are going through an intersection and a YouTuber driving a Nissan at 100+ mph runs a red light. Since the Tesla would see the car coming with all those cameras, I would want the Tesla to accelerate as fast as possible to avoid getting T-Boned and sliced in half. Sound far fetched? I drove over to Hallandale Beach Florida last year to pick up the new owner of my mint 1991 Miata (needed the garage space for my Tesla) and a week after I was just at this intersection, this happened.

On the topic of roll racing, I don't race on the street so I have no experience there (although I've seen plenty of YT videos). What I can personally relate to is racing on the dragstrip. What typically happens is the two car lanes get stalled when they run bikes or Jr. Dragsters so drivers get out of their cars, check out other cars, talk to each other, etc. It was pretty common for the latest gen muscle cars to line up with one another so I raced plenty of 5.0 Mustangs and SS Camaros. I beat all the stock ones in my Challenger but the closest were the Camaro SS's that I'd usually just beat by a nose.

I'd run a 12.25 @ 113 on a bad run and 12.15 @ 114 on a good run. The Mustangs were running about 12.4 @ 110. The Camaro SS 12.2 to 12.3 @ 113.

Both the M3P and LR AWD + boost trap between 115 and 116 at 11.6 to 11.8. That means that at 115 MPH, none of the mainstream muscle cars of similar power are even gaining on the Model 3 yet.

Mike
Whoa...waaay too much logic for this thread man. You need to knock it off...

Mike
Just playing devil's advocate (sorta). 😈

While I agree a Performance would stay ahead of a ~400hp car from a roll, I believe the logic behind it is flawed. Using a static reference point (ie end of a quarter mile), is not the proper reference. From a roll, the reference should be on the time it takes a ~400hp car to pass a Performance.

Ideally, we have the specs for each car's 60-120 time. Since we don't have that, we could estimate it. Although not entirely accurate (there are margin of errors in this thought process as well), I believe it is a bit more accurate. Taking 1/4 time, which takes into account a ~400hp car and a Performance is ~115 mph trap speeds, minus 0-60 time will approximate 60-120. Using a late model Mustang 5.0, as an example, that's approximately 8.2 seconds (12.2sec 1/4 mile minus 4.0sec 0-60). For a Performance, that's about 8.3sec (11.5sec 1/4 mile minus 3.2sec 0-60).

Now, sprinkling a bit of practicality on theory, a Performance will 'hit' better due to the instant torque and a ~400hp car will take a moment (albeit very brief) to get going. So in reality, each time will be a bit slower, but the difference isn't enough for a ~400hp car to catch up to a Performance from the initial hit at 60 by 120.

All that said, I don't think a ~400hp car will typically take a Performance in a 60-120. 😁

Just playing devil's advocate (sorta). 😈

While I agree a Performance would stay ahead of a ~400hp car from a roll, I believe the logic behind it is flawed. Using a static reference point (ie end of a quarter mile), is not the proper reference. From a roll, the reference should be on the time it takes a ~400hp car to pass a Performance.

Ideally, we have the specs for each car's 60-120 time. Since we don't have that, we could estimate it. Although not entirely accurate (there are margin of errors in this thought process as well), I believe it is a bit more accurate. Taking 1/4 time, which takes into account a ~400hp car and a Performance is ~115 mph trap speeds, minus 0-60 time will approximate 60-120. Using a late model Mustang 5.0, as an example, that's approximately 8.2 seconds (12.2sec 1/4 mile minus 4.0sec 0-60). For a Performance, that's about 8.3sec (11.5sec 1/4 mile minus 3.2sec 0-60).

Now, sprinkling a bit of practicality on theory, a Performance will 'hit' better due to the instant torque and a ~400hp car will take a moment (albeit very brief) to get going. So in reality, each time will be a bit slower, but the difference isn't enough for a ~400hp car to catch up to a Performance from the initial hit at 60 by 120.

All that said, I don't think a ~400hp car will typically take a Performance in a 60-120. 😁

You devil! :D I can't argue with the logic as it seems sound. But I think your last sentence is accurate and here's why. At the 60 MPH start, the Model 3 gaps the muscle car by 3-4 car lengths as it out accelerates the muscle car at first. Let's say the muscle car starts gaining ground on the Model 3 when it reaches 100 MPH (the earliest I've seen in videos). At that point, even if the muscle car instantly accelerated from 100 to 120, it'd be going 20 MPH faster than the Model 3: 29 feet per second so it'd take about 1.5 seconds from that point to overtake the Model 3 (3 car lengths ~ 45 feet). In reality, the muscle car is just barely out-accelerating the Model 3 at that point: it's gaining ground but simply can't make up the initial gap by 120 MPH.

Mike

If you still need justification for performance, use the twisted logic I had planned to use if my wife hadn’t been so thrilled with the performance acceleration. It is simply: once autopilot/FSD logic gets capable enough, I would expect the car to be able to accelerate out of bad situations...even if you are doing the driving. Let’s say you are going through an intersection and a YouTuber driving a Nissan at 100+ mph runs a red light. Since the Tesla would see the car coming with all those cameras, I would want the Tesla to accelerate as fast as possible to avoid getting T-Boned and sliced in half. Sound far fetched? I drove over to Hallandale Beach Florida last year to pick up the new owner of my mint 1991 Miata (needed the garage space for my Tesla) and a week after I was just at this intersection, this happened.

Well that's a really sound argument can't argue with it lol. However I don't have to convince my wife or ask permission to buy the car I want. I buy what I want and she can only ride passenger seat 😁 She hasn't even touched the steering wheel in my camaro.

But that accident damn... Another point for Tesla being built like a tank.

Another question:

So I can't turn a LR into a P but I can turn a P into a LR by putting either 19" or 18" wheels with 235's 245's. This way my range will be same as LR?
Pretty much. If you drive the 2 cars side by side from point A to point B, they'll have largely done the exact same work -- i.e. consumed same energy.
The only real differences is in the added air resistance of the larger open-faced 20" Performance wheels, as opposed to the aero covers of the 18s. That difference is quite small in real world use unless you're hypermiling or otherwise needing extra single extra mile

For me, the decision to buy the Performance model was pretty easy. I tend to keep my vehicles much longer than most people (I've had my Toyota 4WD pickup for over 40 years now). I really liked the look of the Performance model, and frankly, I still look back at it when I park and admire it from a distance. Also, my kids are out of college now and on their own, and financially the added cost was not much of an issue. I knew that I'd regret not getting the Performance model for the next ten or fifteen years, and over that time frame the amortized cost is pretty minimal. It's a personal decision, but for me buying the Performance model was the right one (even after owning it for almost three years). No regrets whatsoever.

I’ve had an M3P for a year now. I love it. Nothing beats you when it comes to the traffic light Grand Prix.

If speed is your priority. You won’t regret it.

A car purchase is a case of balancing the financial against the emotional. If you can bring yourself to pay for the extra smiles and accept the range limitation, go for it.
I've had an stealth M3 for two years now. First defeat in traffic lights a couple of days ago. Took me a while to realize that it was a M3P with a faster footed driver. Had a great laugh at the next lights with the fellow driver!