Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide if my 2020 Model S has a Range Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need some help understanding if a) My 2020 Tesla model S has a problem or b) If my Tesla Service Rep is correct somehow.

1. When I got my new Tesla in mid December, instead of the rated 375 miles of range at full charge, my car would only charge to 355 miles maximum range as shown on the dash. My Service Rep says this is “normal”.

2. When I go on a trip running at 70mph on the interstates or expressways, and I start the car at 355miles max range, when I get to a “remaining range” of about 50 miles, I will have only gone about 250 miles. My service rep says this is “normal”. But where did the extra 55miles go?

3. I also have a 2016 Tesla model S. This car at about 75,000 miles now charges to a max of 233 miles (was 250 when new) and the range estimate on the dash is within maybe 3 miles of how far the car will go on a charge.
Questions: Is my new car defective or is the Tesla service rep covering up a problem?

Thanks for the help.

I need some help understanding if a) My 2020 Tesla model S has a problem or b) If my Tesla Service Rep is correct somehow.

1. When I got my new Tesla in mid December, instead of the rated 375 miles of range at full charge, my car would only charge to 355 miles maximum range as shown on the dash. My Service Rep says this is “normal”.

2. When I go on a trip running at 70mph on the interstates or expressways, and I start the car at 355miles max range, when I get to a “remaining range” of about 50 miles, I will have only gone about 250 miles. My service rep says this is “normal”. But where did the extra 55miles go?

3. I also have a 2016 Tesla model S. This car at about 75,000 miles now charges to a max of 233 miles (was 250 when new) and the range estimate on the dash is within maybe 3 miles of how far the car will go on a charge.
Questions: Is my new car defective or is the Tesla service rep covering up a problem?

Thanks for the help.
Probably a little of both, but too early to tell. My 16 S75 did approximately as yours did. My Raven charged to 263 when new and is now in the low 250s at full charge. Many posters on other threads report 15-20% less range for their Tesla as a general rule when running over 70. My raven does too. I can’t tell you if we had exceptional cars or what. I have noticed that since 20.12. I have seen about a 5% improvement in efficiency with an loss of 3-4 miles of indicated range at full charge. Haven’t driven enough to verify this. Also, my 16 got much better at consumption at about 10,000 miles. Not there yet so I can’t say if this will happen here.

Lowtek and Snerruc.. On my 2020 model S, and on the fairly level Interstate from Atlanta to Orlando, The indicated energy consumption is about 325 to 330wh/mile at 70mph speed at Outside Air at about 60F on a 250 mile segment. It seems this would use 82KWH. I assume the 333wh/mile includes all power needed by accessories.) Then the remaining 18kwh should take you another 55 total miles (but then you have to not get too much below about this amount). So At 70mph, the range to zero battery is really about 305 miles on my car. from a max charge. So.. I seem to be missing about 55 miles. >>> By comparison, my 2016 Model S 75 will charge up to 233 miles indicated and I can go about 200 miles and still have about 30 miles left. It indicates energy usage of about 285wh/mi on the same trip. Any Helpful hints much appreciated to increase my understanding of how these EV calculations go. Since this car supposedly can run the much more efficient 200hp front motor up to maybe 75mph, I thought this would make the kwh/mile much better at highway speeds than the old 2016 but it is not doing that. just the opposite. I am very interested in these figures for other similar cars. Thanks!

Lowtek and Snerruc.. On my 2020 model S, and on the fairly level Interstate from Atlanta to Orlando, The indicated energy consumption is about 325 to 330wh/mile at 70mph speed at Outside Air at about 60F on a 250 mile segment. It seems this would use 82KWH. I assume the 333wh/mile includes all power needed by accessories.) Then the remaining 18kwh should take you another 55 total miles (but then you have to not get too much below about this amount). So At 70mph, the range to zero battery is really about 305 miles on my car. from a max charge. So.. I seem to be missing about 55 miles. >>> By comparison, my 2016 Model S 75 will charge up to 233 miles indicated and I can go about 200 miles and still have about 30 miles left. It indicates energy usage of about 285wh/mi on the same trip. Any Helpful hints much appreciated to increase my understanding of how these EV calculations go. Since this car supposedly can run the much more efficient 200hp front motor up to maybe 75mph, I thought this would make the kwh/mile much better at highway speeds than the old 2016 but it is not doing that. just the opposite. I am very interested in these figures for other similar cars. Thanks!
Hmmm... 325 at 70 mph sounds high to me unless you had a lot of hills or a fairly strong headwind. I was running 70 on highway 60 and 27 the other day and getting 302-305 on 20.12. If you are getting 3oo miles to empty at 325 wh/ m, that is pretty good. That is about 84% of rated range. Your 16 matches the results of ours. There is definitely something different about some 2016 S75s. I sometimes wonder if they are larger capacity than they are supposed to be hidden by some software hocus pocus. Tesla definitely needs to stop gaming the EPA.

I did notice that I got more range after the 2020.8.3 update. When I picked up my new S 2 weeks ago, it still had a 2019 version of software and the range was significantly less. I haven't driven much because of the situation we're all in, so probably wouldn't have a good data result to share.

I own a 2019 Performance Model S with 21" wheels. I live in south Florida so the weather is almost always 60-90 degrees F. My experience is that driving around town with a mix of 30-40% highway driving my car consumes approximately 290-310 Wh/mile which extrapolates to a range of about 330 miles. When I go on long trips with 90-95% highway driving at 70-85mph the Wh/mile go up to about 340-350 Wh/mile and a range of about 285 miles.
Range is very dependent on driving speed.

Try using the Trip Meter to get a feel for Wh per mile usage. The range is usually stated at an average (for my 2018 S) of 295 Wh/mile. If you're on a trip that's using more than the rated energy consumption, you'll get fewer miles. It's all about driving style, winds, and elevation changes.

• Love
Reactions: John J
Try using the Trip Meter to get a feel for Wh per mile usage. The range is usually stated at an average (for my 2018 S) of 295 Wh/mile. If you're on a trip that's using more than the rated energy consumption, you'll get fewer miles. It's all about driving style, winds, and elevation changes.
While your comments are correct, they are a bit off topic. We are discussing S75s that get rated range at 70 mph vs our new LRs which do not come close. In Europe there are several competitors to the 3 available with range over 200 miles. In a British test referenced in the investor section 7 were tested against the 3 in a trip test. While the 3 got better range than the others, they all went 95-102% of there epa range( they have been tested by that standard. ) the 3 was 84% of rated. In a side by side test on the autobahn, , a Porsche Taycan went 115% of rated and a LR went 71%. This is beginning to be noticed in Europe, where competitors are beginning to sell. Tesla did it with the 75s, why not with the LRs and 3s.