Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think opening height matters with the Model Y because the entire hatch opening is cavernous due to the slanted opening.

I do however have two problems with the Model Y that my ID.4 did better (which to has a larger cargo space than the Mach-E - I test drove the Mach-E when I owned the ID.4)

1) The width of the opening is narrower on the Model Y than I'd prefer (matches your numbers above). Limits fitting wide things in.
2) The sloped hatch loses some cargo space and it's not easy to estimate how much is lost.

Concerning the sloped hatch, and to some extent the narrower opening, this is the price you pay for improved aerodynamics and the class-leading efficiency this helps bring.

Compared to our last family car, which had a similar total cargo volume but all in a single box-like space, I actually found I preferred packing the MY for a family trip because I could handily arrange the different bags and cases in the various spaces, with different levels of accessibility. On the other hand, for certain bulky items, for sure it is not as convenient. However, I still find it's a worthwhile trade-off for the better efficiency and dynamics.

MachE or…M3?

If anybody cares here are the rear side by side photos on a 2021 MYLR with 20" and a Premium RWD.

I bought a Mach-E at MSRP last week(too good a deal to pass up - and I have a MYLR order that I can unhold if I don't like it).

Photo Nov 17, 5 27 22 PM.jpg

The Mach-E has about 2-3 inches wider opening (RC foam plane almost fits into the Mach-E without tilting) but lengthwise from rear to front is 2-4 inches shorter (maybe more). Both sloped rear hatches lose some usable space compared to say a RAV4 or ID.4

Attachments

• Photo Nov 17, 5 27 32 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 17, 5 27 32 PM.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo Nov 17, 5 25 06 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 17, 5 25 06 PM.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 50
  • Photo Nov 14, 3 56 30 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 14, 3 56 30 PM.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Photo Nov 21, 3 54 45 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 21, 3 54 45 PM.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo Nov 17, 5 25 00 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 17, 5 25 00 PM.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi and pt19713
If anybody cares here are the rear side by side photos on a 2021 MYLR with 20" and a Premium RWD.

I bought a Mach-E at MSRP last week(too good a deal to pass up - and I have a MYLR order that I can unhold if I don't like it).

The Mach-E has about 2-3 inches wider opening (RC foam plane almost fits into the Mach-E without tilting) but lengthwise from rear to front is 2-4 inches shorter (maybe more). Both sloped rear hatches lose some usable space compared to say a RAV4 or ID.4
What's the load height difference, approximately?

Why not take exact pic of your plane vs gimmicky pics you took? Also hight wise Mach E looks a lot smaller.
All you need to know which one fits more.

Did you even watch that video or read what I wrote? At no point did I say the Mach-E has larger space.

Both sloped hatches lose a bunch of usable space that the ID.4 (or any flat top SUV) would have no problems with. The video even shows this at the 2:50 mark

And while you might be correct with the height-wise... it doesn't matter because the Mach-E is about 2" lower. I took photos of RAV4 and Mach-E next to each other and the RAV4 was taller by 2 inches.

The rear of the Y is poor designed compared to modern SUVs. Poor visibility, no rear wipers (rear visibility is useless in Florida rain), reduces cargo space. The Mach-E has the same poor design but there is a wiper and visibility is better.

Did you even watch that video or read what I wrote? At no point did I say the Mach-E has larger space.

Both sloped hatches lose a bunch of usable space that the ID.4 (or any flat top SUV) would have no problems with. The video even shows this at the 2:50 mark

And while you might be correct with the height-wise... it doesn't matter because the Mach-E is about 2" lower. I took photos of RAV4 and Mach-E next to each other and the RAV4 was taller by 2 inches.

The rear of the Y is poor designed compared to modern SUVs. Poor visibility, no rear wipers (rear visibility is useless in Florida rain), reduces cargo space. The Mach-E has the same poor design but there is a wiper and visibility is better.
Looks like you missed one extra Carry on in Y under trunk lid vs no space in Mom E.

The Y doesn't need a rear wiper. Most Y owners can vouch for this. ~17 months of ownership and not once did I think "I can't see out the back window, wish there was a wiper."

The Y doesn't need a rear wiper. Most Y owners can vouch for this. ~17 months of ownership and not once did I think "I can't see out the back window, wish there was a wiper."
Probably because we can barely see out the back window on a good day.

Mostly kidding but when I went on my test drive the rear window visibility was not that great.

...The rear of the Y is poor designed compared to modern SUVs. Poor visibility, no rear wipers (rear visibility is useless in Florida rain), reduces cargo space. The Mach-E has the same poor design but there is a wiper and visibility is better.
The rear of the Model Y is designed for aerodynamic efficiency while providing more cargo space than the Mach E. I find the slope of the rear window minimizes the low pressure accumulation of water and crud that is typical of SUVs.

Reactions: OxBrew and WhiteWi