Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove a Mach E SR (non-GT) and it was okay.

I prefer the model Y. Feels more spacious/open and airy, and, I prefer the drive/ride (but not the tires). The Mach E is the better value. It was fast in unbridled mode and I liked the fake sound effects but the front rose too much when you accelerate fast and it was not super fast either (non-GT). Not too noisy. Interior quality seemed decent but the design choices (seat design, steering wheel, dashboard speaker cloth thing, rotating gear selector, two screens tacked on with poor placement/orientation, odd door pull only for front doors) were poor. Y is better overall but Mach E is better value. If/when Tesla gives the Y two displays and an actual interior (and I mean a modern one, not the ornate type), then Y would be the no brainer.

Not sure if this has posted. But, roof replacement not until 2022?
He sold it because Turo wouldn't let him rent it out until the roof was replaced. Fairly narrow concern that won't affect the majority of buyers. There may be other reasons not to keep a Mach E but this is fairly laughable albeit good for clickbaity YouTube videos and "articles".

Not sure if this has posted. But, roof replacement not until 2022?
Didn't the roof of a Model 3 fly off? I saw that somewhere. I didn't read the 23 pages, but check the suspension and ride quality of each.
Plus side you can tow with MY, not Mach-E. Mach-E still get the rebate? But...the dealer may adjust price to "Market Price".

Not an easy decision. I like the Mach-E, but i have a refresh Model 3 ordered (for over a year now).

• Disagree
Reactions: 907XCP and WhiteWi
It sounds bad, but thats like 1 month. People have waited longer for less
It sounds like he wasn't sure when the issue would be fixed and the car was primarily an investment rental car so he took the opportunity to sell it. All in all he didn't do too bad. It was interesting to hear his comparison between the Model Y and Mach E. one area he liked the Mach E was noise and ride quality - I think most people would agree that ride and noise are areas in which the Model Y can be improved.

He also mentioned the limitations on DC fast charging. Pretty sure part of that is related to poor heat sinking in the battery that's been discussed here.

Probably because we can barely see out the back window on a good day.

Mostly kidding but when I went on my test drive the rear window visibility was not that great.

As for rear visibility, I'm not sure how I can live without a 360 camera + cross traffic monitor after the Mach-E.

Non-Tesla folks don't understand the love for Sentry and always-recording Dashcam. Those two features I would love on the Mach-E for sure. Ignorance is bliss they say.

Now that I've driven 750+ miles in the two weeks with the Mach-E... I would not compare it to the Model Y. The Mach-E is a Model 3 replacement IMO. The ground clearance and handling are similar. I can toss around the Mach-E (Standard Range) like the Model 3 SR+. Both are light and nimble.

Tire and road noise are worse on the Mach-E than the Model Y. So is the suspension (I knew this before) but not as bad as I expected (I heard it was bouncy but it's just firm). Again, this car is closer to a Model 3 with how it focuses on performance/sportiness. The ID.4 (my first EV) is a like couch on wheels compared to the Mach-E and Model Y so every carmaker makes tradeoffs.

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr
I was going to get a Mach-E before buying my Model Y. Every single dealership was charging a markup, some as high as $30,000. This was non-negotiable at every dealer I called in California, even on factory orders. I'm not going to pay extra for a standard vehicle. I'm now glad I went with the Model Y and have no regrets.

That experience turned me off to them entirely. There will be an end to this shortage and I hope every dealership that pulls this gouging goes out of business when the demand dies down.

In late September, I placed a deposit on the the Model Y ($53,990 for Long Range, Pearl White, 19" Gemini, Black Interior) and the Mach-E ($53,100 for Premium, Extended Range, RWD, Grabber Blue). Both were originally scheduled to be delivered in April, though the MY is now showing a Feb 19 - March 19 delivery. I can only buy one. There are still many months before I need to decide. As of today, I am exactly 50/50 on which I will pick. Some of this decision will depend on the available tax credit at the time of purchase. Hopefully congress gets its act together and both get a credit next year. If one is substantially cheaper due to a tax credit I will likely go that way (though hard to say if the MY shows up without a credit and the Mach-E still has one but is still months away from delivery).

Anyway, I need your help! I've put together a list of pros and cons in the fine tradition of Benjamin Franklin and Walter White. These lists are specific to my own decision, as I see it. Please let me know if any of these considerations are off base, or if there is anything else I should be considering. I will post the two lists in subsequent posts.

And full disclosure... I also cross-posted the same lists on a Tesla forum. It will be interesting to see the differences in replies... Here are the lists:

Advantage Tesla Model Y
  • Known reliability. Tesla has been making EVs for a while now, and has straightened out a lot of early production issues. Ford is just getting started, so there are likely to be a lot more issues for the first few years. Will a 2022 Mach-E be as reliable as a 2022 Model Y? What will the difference in cost of ownership be in 10 years?
  • Polished UI. The touchscreen is really snappy, whereas the Mach-E touchscreen is sluggish. The Tesla software seems a little more refined too.
  • Supercharger network. I have a lot more confidence that I won’t get stranded on long trips.
  • Joy of driving. I’ve seen plenty of YouTube videos of people testing these two cars side by side and stating they enjoy driving the Tesla more, especially comparing the one pedal driving. Granted most of these people are Tesla owners, but not all. I have taken a test drive in both, and Tesla even gave me an overnight test drive. I will admit, the Tesla did feel a bit more responsive on the pedal, though it wasn't a huge difference.
  • Performance. The Model Y base model does 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds, and comes with AWD standard. The Mach-E RWD model I ordered does it in 6.1. Yes, I could upgrade to the AWD model and achieve 4.8, but this is an extra $2.7K. (Aside, I actually prefer the longer range and cheaper price which is why I’m not upgrading the Mach-E.)
  • Cargo capacity. 68 cu ft vs 60 doesn’t seem like much, but it could make the difference. I am choosing a hatchback for a reason: I want to carry things.
  • Autopilot. As of today, Tesla’s autopilot is more capable than Ford’s version. Ford is still developing theirs, so this could change. I have no interest in FSD.

Advantage Ford Mach-E
  • Body Style. The Mach-E looks great. The body looks muscular. The LED projector headlights on the Premium look amazing, as do the taillights. I also like the futuristic look of the Model Y, but not as much.
  • Paint and color. I ordered the Grabber Blue and love this color! I would almost buy the car just for the color. The Tesla looks good in white, but I don’t think is as much a head turner. Also, I’ve heard credible stories of lower paint quality control on the Tesla, including orange peeling, dust nibs, swirl marks, and more susceptibility to chipping. That last one is a particular concern, as a good paint job shouldn’t easily chip.
  • Build quality. The Mach-E feels solid, and well built. Tesla is known for its inconsistent build quality, including panel gaps, loose parts, and water leaks.
  • Novelty. There are Teslas everywhere. I don’t need to be the only one owning my car, but I’m not sure if it would feel as special if every parking lot I pull into has 10 other cars identical to mine.
  • Dashboard screen behind steering wheel. I just want to see an instrument cluster behind the steering wheel. I don’t like that I have to look to the side to see my speed and range on the Model Y. Plus, the upper left of the Model Y screen just looks unpolished to me. The Mach-E does this much better.
  • Physical controls. The Mach-E has physical controls for adjusting the side mirrors, direction of the climate control, a latch to open the glove box, turn on/off interior lights, and operate the windshield wipers. The Model Y does these through the touchscreen. Who wants to adjust their wipers through a touchscreen.
  • Garage door opener. The Mach-E has a real garage door opener in the visor. I have to pay $350 to get this feature in the Model Y touchscreen, which I’m not about to do. I prefer a real button anyway.
  • Apple CarPlay. Why doesn’t the Tesla have this? It’s just stupid.
  • Long company track record. Ford has been here from the start. Tesla is a newcomer, run by a a guy who seems slightly crazy. Will they be around in 10 years?
It’s about the charging. Without supercharger, charging on a road trip will be a nightmare

It’s about the charging. Without supercharger, charging on a road trip will be a nightmare
They can technically charge at 150kW which is like a V2 supercharger (most of the chargers I end up at on my road trips). I dont know how well it works in practice, but I'm not sure its a complete nightmare, maybe an inconvenience though. I'm just unfamiliar with the CCS network.

Not surprising! I admit, my BS detector went off when I heard him tell me I could charge a Mach-E at the Tesla supercharger network though I never followed up. It's a pretty strong selling point for the Tesla, so I can't imagine they would open it up for the competition without being forced to through legislation. I need to do more homework on this one.
get the salesman to take you for a test drive to the supercharger and show you

Reactions: OxBrew
They can technically charge at 150kW which is like a V2 supercharger (most of the chargers I end up at on my road trips). I dont know how well it works in practice, but I'm not sure its a complete nightmare, maybe an inconvenience though. I'm just unfamiliar with the CCS network.

Charging is the weakest part of the Mach-E experience. It starts at 150 kW VERY BRIEFLY (only at low SoC) and around 80% SoC... falls off a cliff to L2 levels (9kW - yikes). I tell people Mach-E isn't a great long road trip car (i.e 1000+ miles) which is fine I don't take extended trips.

There's an OTA update or module update (customer service satisfaction update or something) to improve charging speeds but Tesla is still best in class with the Supercharger network. Taycans and e-Trons (800V) are second... if they can find 350 kW chargers.

Last edited:
In late September, I placed a deposit on the the Model Y ($53,990 for Long Range, Pearl White, 19" Gemini, Black Interior) and the Mach-E ($53,100 for Premium, Extended Range, RWD, Grabber Blue). Both were originally scheduled to be delivered in April, though the MY is now showing a Feb 19 - March 19 delivery. I can only buy one. There are still many months before I need to decide. As of today, I am exactly 50/50 on which I will pick. Some of this decision will depend on the available tax credit at the time of purchase. Hopefully congress gets its act together and both get a credit next year. If one is substantially cheaper due to a tax credit I will likely go that way (though hard to say if the MY shows up without a credit and the Mach-E still has one but is still months away from delivery).

Anyway, I need your help! I've put together a list of pros and cons in the fine tradition of Benjamin Franklin and Walter White. These lists are specific to my own decision, as I see it. Please let me know if any of these considerations are off base, or if there is anything else I should be considering. I will post the two lists in subsequent posts.

And full disclosure... I also cross-posted the same lists on a Tesla forum. It will be interesting to see the differences in replies... Here are the lists:

Advantage Tesla Model Y
  • Known reliability. Tesla has been making EVs for a while now, and has straightened out a lot of early production issues. Ford is just getting started, so there are likely to be a lot more issues for the first few years. Will a 2022 Mach-E be as reliable as a 2022 Model Y? What will the difference in cost of ownership be in 10 years?
  • Polished UI. The touchscreen is really snappy, whereas the Mach-E touchscreen is sluggish. The Tesla software seems a little more refined too.
  • Supercharger network. I have a lot more confidence that I won’t get stranded on long trips.
  • Joy of driving. I’ve seen plenty of YouTube videos of people testing these two cars side by side and stating they enjoy driving the Tesla more, especially comparing the one pedal driving. Granted most of these people are Tesla owners, but not all. I have taken a test drive in both, and Tesla even gave me an overnight test drive. I will admit, the Tesla did feel a bit more responsive on the pedal, though it wasn't a huge difference.
  • Performance. The Model Y base model does 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds, and comes with AWD standard. The Mach-E RWD model I ordered does it in 6.1. Yes, I could upgrade to the AWD model and achieve 4.8, but this is an extra $2.7K. (Aside, I actually prefer the longer range and cheaper price which is why I’m not upgrading the Mach-E.)
  • Cargo capacity. 68 cu ft vs 60 doesn’t seem like much, but it could make the difference. I am choosing a hatchback for a reason: I want to carry things.
  • Autopilot. As of today, Tesla’s autopilot is more capable than Ford’s version. Ford is still developing theirs, so this could change. I have no interest in FSD.

Advantage Ford Mach-E
  • Body Style. The Mach-E looks great. The body looks muscular. The LED projector headlights on the Premium look amazing, as do the taillights. I also like the futuristic look of the Model Y, but not as much.
  • Paint and color. I ordered the Grabber Blue and love this color! I would almost buy the car just for the color. The Tesla looks good in white, but I don’t think is as much a head turner. Also, I’ve heard credible stories of lower paint quality control on the Tesla, including orange peeling, dust nibs, swirl marks, and more susceptibility to chipping. That last one is a particular concern, as a good paint job shouldn’t easily chip.
  • Build quality. The Mach-E feels solid, and well built. Tesla is known for its inconsistent build quality, including panel gaps, loose parts, and water leaks.
  • Novelty. There are Teslas everywhere. I don’t need to be the only one owning my car, but I’m not sure if it would feel as special if every parking lot I pull into has 10 other cars identical to mine.
  • Dashboard screen behind steering wheel. I just want to see an instrument cluster behind the steering wheel. I don’t like that I have to look to the side to see my speed and range on the Model Y. Plus, the upper left of the Model Y screen just looks unpolished to me. The Mach-E does this much better.
  • Physical controls. The Mach-E has physical controls for adjusting the side mirrors, direction of the climate control, a latch to open the glove box, turn on/off interior lights, and operate the windshield wipers. The Model Y does these through the touchscreen. Who wants to adjust their wipers through a touchscreen.
  • Garage door opener. The Mach-E has a real garage door opener in the visor. I have to pay $350 to get this feature in the Model Y touchscreen, which I’m not about to do. I prefer a real button anyway.
  • Apple CarPlay. Why doesn’t the Tesla have this? It’s just stupid.
  • Long company track record. Ford has been here from the start. Tesla is a newcomer, run by a a guy who seems slightly crazy. Will they be around in 10 years?
Oh my god! Seriously?! I have always dreamt of having a Mustang (first stick I drove). Having said that, have you driven the Mach-E, sat in it, felt the steering wheel, felt the plastic knobs that look like baubles from a children’s party. I guess it didn’t help that the salesman told me what a piece of *sugar* Tesla was and wouldn’t last in the market….good luck to ya!

Reactions: WhiteWi