Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's an illusion of simplicity in tesla. yes it's simple to the naked eye but the technology is beyond what most people understand. The technology is light yrs ahead of the competition but tesla doesn't let the user see it. all these features that everyone says tesla doesn't have.........yes they do it's just hidden in the back end by the engineers. If you actually saw what the engineers can see on their end it would blow your mind. you really think tesla can't do birds eye view or any of these other features "other" manufacturers do......it's simply a key stroke to enable it like heated seats, steering wheel.....on and on. Tesla likes the game of doing it their way and they like that identity, along with keeping the customer always looking forward to the next feature(version ) release. Keep in mind stock price won't continue to go up if there is nothing "new coming down the pipe". Tesla loves to keep people occupied with whatever the next feature might be. Elon like to take the stage exactly like Steve Jobbs did with apple. Tesla is to cars what apple is to phones...........found it funny when tesla announced an in car app store.........which is exactly what took apple to the next level
ignignokt: we are the mooninites and our culture is advanced beyond all that you can possibly comprehend with 100% of your brain
frylock: oh is that so and what is so advanced about it
ignignokt: all that we say and do is right
frylock: looks like you got a real couple of winners there shake
ignignokt: you and your 3rd dimension
frylock: what about it?
ignignokt: it's cute we have 5
err: th-thousand
ignignokt: yes five thousand
err: don't question it
frylock: well i only see 2
ignignokt: well that sounds like a personal problem

A genuine question, and id like a truthful answer.

Have you driven them both, back to back ?

I am probably one of a handful who have driven both back-to-back since I traded my demo MYLR for a Mach-E Premium RWD. I was even given a test drive before confirming I wanted the MME. The Mach-E was much rougher - acceleration and braking were janky but I consider that a personality quirk :)

IMO The MME drives more of a hothatch along with the EV6. They simply feel like nimble smaller cars (like a Model 3 SR). The Model Y and Ioniq 5 are closer in handling. If somebody felt the Model Y was out of their budget then the Ioniq 5 would be good substitute. Of course none of the CCS-based EVs have access to Superchargers but my opinion is that EVs are very much short commuter cars (except Teslas) and you should be charging at home 90-95% of the time. I still strongly suggest folks buy a PHEV like a RAV4 Prime over an EV if they have frequent trips over 200 miles.

it's an illusion of simplicity in tesla. yes it's simple to the naked eye but the technology is beyond what most people understand. The technology is light yrs ahead of the competition but tesla doesn't let the user see it. all these features that everyone says tesla doesn't have.........yes they do it's just hidden in the back end by the engineers. If you actually saw what the engineers can see on their end it would blow your mind. you really think tesla can't do birds eye view or any of these other features "other" manufacturers do......it's simply a key stroke to enable it like heated seats, steering wheel.....on and on. Tesla likes the game of doing it their way and they like that identity, along with keeping the customer always looking forward to the next feature(version ) release. Keep in mind stock price won't continue to go up if there is nothing "new coming down the pipe". Tesla loves to keep people occupied with whatever the next feature might be. Elon like to take the stage exactly like Steve Jobbs did with apple. Tesla is to cars what apple is to phones...........found it funny when tesla announced an in car app store.........which is exactly what took apple to the next level
This is just an assumption. It may be true in the future, however I remember reading an article or could have been a forum that Elon didn't want to pay for 360 camera because the tech apparently was patented just like Carplay. It was rumored that him and Apple had a fallout about Apple wanting to buy his company or something along the lines (like I said, I don't know where I read it from). I think Tesla does have a lot of technology in the motors/batteries etc, but for what I assume normal non-car people just average joes like myself, when I hear tech I think of tech features ie. Hud, 360 camera, etc.

Apple has been playing catch up since the iPhone 4. They haven't had any real innovation since Siri, the rest is adding features android phones have already had.

My old Galaxy S3 could use Google Wallet a decade ago. Took apple years to get "apple pay" up and running. They still haven't gotten to curved or flexible screens yet. No through screen fingerprint readers, reverse wireless charging, etc.

Which will help one get laid? Asking for a guy I know.
Likely the Tesla. Only because of brand recognition. I say that because my friend and I both got EVs around the same time. He got a MME GT PE and I got a MYLR. We went out to happy hour and he was talking about his car and the ladies were mildly interested (we're both married, and these are just coworkers, so take it as you will). I mentioned I got a Tesla and the ladies got excited. "You got a Tesla?!?" its got more of a ring to it than Ford or Mustang. That may change over time, but people who dont really know about cars see Tesla as some sort of mythical thing. There are no ads for them... its just what people have heard.

Also, women arent monoliths, plenty dont give a flying... well lets just say they dont care about your car, they care about your personality. I find it very shallow if a girl cares about what you drive. I'd rather meet a girl who doesnt care that I drive a Prius and later finds out I have a Tesla than someone whos attracted to a car. I'm glad I've been out of that game for over a decade, so it matters little to me.

(I know your post was for a bit of a laugh, but I'm gonna answer it as honestly as I can none the less).

I saw hanshow has a hack out to disable the nagging, It's just basically a form fit weight you attach to the wheel. problem is if you get in an accident youre F'D on insurance. I just use a full gatorade bottle wedged in the wheel.......works great but in an accident it would easily fall out not incrimination you
I wouldn't be proud to post nonsense unsafe behavior like that on a public forum...

I am probably one of a handful who have driven both back-to-back since I traded my demo MYLR for a Mach-E Premium RWD. I was even given a test drive before confirming I wanted the MME. The Mach-E was much rougher - acceleration and braking were janky but I consider that a personality quirk :)

IMO The MME drives more of a hothatch along with the EV6. They simply feel like nimble smaller cars (like a Model 3 SR). The Model Y and Ioniq 5 are closer in handling. If somebody felt the Model Y was out of their budget then the Ioniq 5 would be good substitute. Of course none of the CCS-based EVs have access to Superchargers but my opinion is that EVs are very much short commuter cars (except Teslas) and you should be charging at home 90-95% of the time. I still strongly suggest folks buy a PHEV like a RAV4 Prime over an EV if they have frequent trips over 200 miles.
If one is driving over 200 miles everyday, then maybe. Otherwise, an EV with 300 miles of range and access to fast DCFC can easily take all the road tripping that the average Joe/Jane does.

Reactions: WhiteWi
  • Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi